Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sexual predator named as teen drops anonymity

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

Hanging to good for some people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

What a hero that girl is. She's been through the mill. I'm going to say a prayer for her today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

squod wrote: »
    What a hero that girl is. She's been through the mill. I'm going to say a prayer for her today.

What good is a prayer?:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

She said the best thing that happened to her was the birth of her son.

surely she should have had it aborted, disgusting republican that she is.

banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

vicwatson wrote: »

Fair play to ya , you managed to bring a bit of sneering into a thread about a young girl getting raped .
    The girl was 15 years of age and the conviction was defilement of a child.A later poster pointed this out to me.There was no rape conviction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

She asked that Heaton be named even if it identified her. There is a child involved here too. So I hope that she manages to stay anonymous for the child's sake, as well as her own.
    More pedophiles/rapists need to be outed. All of them actually.n Fair play to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

Nice, you have class Sir Digby real class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

She asked that Heaton be named even if it identified her. There is a child involved here too. So I hope that she manages to stay anonymous for the child's sake, as well as her own.

You're going on like there is some shame in this for her or her child.

Neither she nor her child have done anything wrong. They have nothing to be ashamed of. A fact at least she and her family seem to be aware of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Neither she nor her child have done anything wrong. They have nothing to be ashamed of. A fact at least she and her family seem to be aware of.

No I'm not.:confused: Dafuq??
    Seriously, where on earth did you pluck that interpretation?!!

It would be upsetting for a child to learn that they were the result of sexual abuse, so if they are to know at all - it's best coming from the mother, at an appropriate age, in an appropriate manner - not learned from neighbourhood gossip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

mattjack wrote: »
    Fair play to ya , you managed to bring a bit of sneering into a thread about a young girl getting raped .

She wasn't raped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

What good is a comment like yours? Hardly the place for a thinly veiled "I don't believe in God" post

She wasn't raped.

Sorry ,defilement of a child... he admitted having sex with a 15 year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Stay classy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

squod wrote: »
    What good is a comment like yours? Hardly the place for a thinly veiled "I don't believe in God" post

It was 'squod' who brought a thinly veiled 'I do believe in God' into this thread with his 'I'm going to say a prayer for her today' comment.

Banned.

Everyone else; please don't feed the trolls!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I don't care who started it, there'll be cards from now on in for discussing prayers and not a pretty serious topic. /Mammy speech.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

Why would you say that about her?

I think she is a brave girl to have the baby at her age tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Defilement of a child is just a legal term for what is statutory rape.
    Playing semantic with the termanology detracts from what the girl suffered and her bravery.

The girl was 15 years of age and the conviction was defilement of a child.A later poster pointed this out to me.There was no rape conviction.

Right, so praying is going to help is it:rolleyes:

While your at it amend your post and take the word raped out of it as that's a lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

While your at it amend your post and take the word raped out of it as that's a lie.

No it isn't. You're not from Listowel too by any chance are you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

So, was it rape, or just statutory rape? Surely if it was rape rape, thats what he would have been charged with?

No it isn't. You're not from Listowel too by any chance are you?

Yeh why? Do I know you?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

So, was it rape, or just statutory rape? Surely if it was rape rape, thats what he would have been charged with?
    Nice.

Defilement of a child is just a legal term for what is statutory rape.
    Playing semantic with the termanology detracts from what the girl suffered and her bravery.

Incorrect.

"The Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 2006 makes it a criminal offence to engage or attempt to engage in a sexual act with a child under the age of 15 years. This is what is meant by the term ‘defilement’. The maximum sentence for this offence is life imprisonment."

Eitherway the Paedo is scum of the earth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Whatever the circumstances, this is one brave girl, fair play to her, hopefully his name being out there will prevent another young girl falling victim to him.

He was charged with and plead guilty to defilement of a child. The technicalities aren't really important.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭King Of Wishful Thinking

Hanging to good for some people

He had sex with a 15 year old when he was 35 and you think he should be hung? Seriously?

I know the guy behaved like an asshole in other ways also, but even so - suggesting hanging someone for that is quite extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Nice.

Right, so praying is going to help is it:rolleyes:

I've acknowledged my mistake, I certainly didn't purposely mislead anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Nice.

to be fair, statutary rape can occur between two consenting individuals whos age differs by just a couple of years.
    I realise the guy's way older in this case, but there are many times when you could be justified saying "just statuary rape"

Besides, remember that girl who ran away to france with her teacher, she was the same age as this girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

There's nothing actually new about a victim of a sexual offence waiving her right to anonymity. An example that immediately springs to mind is that of Lavinia Kerwick, who did so to protest at what she considered excessively lenient treatment by a court of the person convicted of raping her.

http://www.advertiser.ie/kilkenny/article/15100

From an article by Fintan O'Toole in the Irish Times about women who brought about important changes in Irish society:

"Lavinia Kerwick

In July 1992, William Conry, an 18-year-old man who had pleaded guilty to rape, walked free from court after the judge adjourned sentence for a year to “give him a chance”. The victim, Lavinia Kerwick, who was 19, sobbed and screamed that Conry had “got away with it”. She then did something that had never been done before. Kerwick sacrificed her anonymity in order to talk about the case, the first time a woman in Ireland who had been raped chose to do so. The controversy that followed did a great deal to change public attitudes to rape and criminal justice. Kerwick was subsequently hospitalised as a result of anorexia. In July 1992 she met with minister for justice Padraig Flynn who promised her that “what happened to me will never happen to any other woman in the future”. The Criminal Justice Bill which emerged a few months later allowed the DPP to appeal against what he considered unduly lenient sentences. It also instructed courts to consider the long-term impact of the crime on the victim. In July 1993, Conry was brought back to court for sentencing. He received a suspended sentence of nine years, again creating great distress for Kerwick."

What I find rather bemusing in the article about the case now under discussion is this: "In her victim impact statement, the girl said that Heaton "put me through hell".

She said the best thing that happened to her was the birth of her son."

Maybe it's just me, but there seems to be a bit of a contradiction there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Ellis Dee wrote: »

Not really. I can understand how for some women they would forever identify the child with the childs father. But there are others that wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

Ellis Dee wrote: »

Not really its her baby, the father might not be a nice person but its not stopping her loving her baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Incorrect.

"The Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 2006 makes it a criminal offence to engage or attempt to engage in a sexual act with a child under the age of 15 years. This is what is meant by the term ‘defilement’. The maximum sentence for this offence is life imprisonment."

Eitherway the Paedo is scum of the earth

She was 15, not under 15.

He is not a "Paedo". Jesus some posts in here are truly moronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

article doesn't seem to mention anything about force, etc...
    not condoning what happened, but at 15, despite what the law says, most people are smart and self-aware enough to make their own decisions. i don't see how this girl is "brave" or "a hero" or anything of the sort. what about the thousands of 15 year olds who know it's not a good idea to get involved with a man 20 years your senior when you're still in secondary school. i don't have the full story here, but i think it's naive to act as if the girl played no part

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

More pedophiles/rapists need to be outed. All of them actually.n Fair play to her.

Every last one of them once convicted should be named..Its amazing how people can end up on the paper for stupid stuff like no car tax, drunkenness or for having some Hash on them yet these peado's and rapists get protected from the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

raped .
    /QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

enda1 wrote: »
    She was 15, not under 15.

He is not a "Paedo". Jesus some posts in here are truly moronic.

15 years and under is the definition - I agree that there really are some moronic posts here

Why is he not a Paedophile/Paedo?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Well said ... indeed this girl and her family have much to be proud of & I for one applaud her. Concern to protect the victim has too often been used to shield the criminal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

charlemont wrote: »
    Every last one of them once convicted should be named..Its amazing how people can end up on the paper for stupid stuff like no car tax, drunkenness or for having some Hash on them yet these peado's and rapists get protected from the media.

If they named ''every last one of them'' then their victims right to anonymity could be comprimised.

Very different and delicate situation then naming someone convicted of a victimless minor offence like the ones you mentioned.

• Advertisement

I've acknowledged my mistake, I certainly didn't purposely mislead anyone.

But you haven't edited the post?

15 years and under is the definition - I agree that there really are some moronic posts here

Why is he not a Paedophile/Paedo?

Pedophiles are attracted to pre-pubescant children. Ephebophiles are attracted to teenagers.
    But you haven't edited the post?

Why should he? You said that saying she was raped is a lie. She gave birth to the guy's child, so obviously she was raped.. it doesn't matter if it was statutory rape or otherwise.

Pedophiles are attracted to pre-pubescant children. Ephebophiles are attracted to teenagers.

Why should he? You said that saying she was raped is a lie. She gave birth to the guy's child, so obviously she was raped.. it doesn't matter if it was statutory rape or otherwise.

Oh right so the only way to get pregnant is via rape is it?:rolleyes:

She wasn't raped so it is a lie. The poster put the word in bold. It's incorrect.

Oh right so the only way to get pregnant is via rape is it?:rolleyes:

:confused:
    She wasn't raped so it is a lie. The poster put the word in bold. It's incorrect.

She was below the age of consent, therefor she could not give legal consent. That's what makes rape rape.. the lack of legally recognisable consent from one party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

It would be upsetting for a child to learn that they were the result of sexual abuse

That's the bit I don't get, and maybe it's just me. Does then nature of one's conception matter a whit to anybody? Are you any less a person if you were conceived on a one night stand, in a gang-bang, in an extra marital affair or as a result of sexual abuse.

I think there's a view out there that there's an element of shame attached to being conceived in anything other than a bog standard monogamous married relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

That's the bit I don't get, and maybe it's just me. Does then nature of one's conception matter a whit to anybody? Are you any less a person if you were conceived on a one night stand, in a gang-bang, in an extra marital affair or as a result of sexual abuse.

I think there's a view out there that there's an element of shame attached to being conceived in anything other than a bog standard monogamous married relationship.

Excellent point ... most of us have no idea whatsoever of the circumstances of our conception & probably just aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I'm an atheist but some of the intolerance in here these days beggars belief. Why is it sanctioned? Who gives a f*ck if somebody wants to pray?

Guy is out of order for sleeping with a girl that young but consensual sex with a 15 year old should not necessarily be reported as sexual predation or rape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Actually it matters a lot, I sure it will matter to the young woman in question. It matters for the judge, and it matters to anybody who may be involved in working with this guy if he was to seek treatment.

There is a big difference for a lot of people in making the distinction between a minor giving consent [even though a minor cannot legally do so] and a violent rape. As we all know a teenager who has sex with his underage girlfriend can end up on the sex offenders list.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Who the fluck is Carl Heaton anyway? They said on the radio this morningthat the rapist was a "well known RTE celebrity".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

newmug wrote: »
    Who the fluck is Carl Heaton anyway? They said on the radio this morningthat the rapist was a "well known RTE celebrity".

different case

• Advertisement
Advertisement