Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sexual predator named as teen drops anonymity

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

If they named ''every last one of them'' then their victims right to anonymity could be comprimised.

Very different and delicate situation then naming someone convicted of a victimless minor offence like the ones you mentioned.

Oh Yes I'm well aware of it being a different situation but the point I made is still legit. I don't care how delicate the situation is because by not naming these people the state is effectively denying us people knowledge of dangerous individuals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

mattjack wrote: »
    raped .
    /QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

Look at post 13, I,ve acknowledged my mistake....

You've heard of the saying "to err is human....to forgive is divine"
    .. what it means essentially is to say nobody is perfect.

vicwatson wrote: »
    But you haven't edited the post?
    Will things be better for you if I edit the post ? bearing in mind you reckon I was lying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Banned.

Everyone else; please don't feed the trolls!
    But I'm hungry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

This man was sentenced to three years with the last suspended.

He is already in prison on unrelated charges. The judge has said that the sentences will run concurrently. I have never got the point of this. Why even bother sentencing someone if they are not going to serve the time for the actual crime. I dont know how much of each sentence will be concurrent but should any of the time really be marked off like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

That's the bit I don't get, and maybe it's just me. Does then nature of one's conception matter a whit to anybody? Are you any less a person if you were conceived on a one night stand, in a gang-bang, in an extra marital affair or as a result of sexual abuse.

I think there's a view out there that there's an element of shame attached to being conceived in anything other than a bog standard monogamous married relationship.

Like can you imagine being a child or teenager and hearing from other kids that your daddy was a pedophile and coerced your mother into having sex when she was underaged and you were born as a result? (Said of course in a child like manner)
    Can you imagine the horrible things other kids would say? Kids can be very cruel.

You'd be there looking at all the mothers and fathers and wondering about your own father. Your mother might have told you something like "he isn't around anymore", and then you hear the truth from neighbourhood gossip.
    Whatever about finding out as an adult, but it would be very hard to grasp as a child.

Why can you not understand that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

anncoates wrote: »
    Guy is out of order for sleeping with a girl that young but consensual sex with a 15 year old should not necessarily be reported as sexual predation or rape.

A 39 year old man has sex with a 15 year old and you appear to be downplaying the warped and sick actions of the individual concerned. Very creepy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

mattjack wrote: »

Look at post 13, I,ve acknowledged my mistake....

You've heard of the saying "to err is human....to forgive is divine"
    .. what it means essentially is to say nobody is perfect.

Will things be better for you if I edit the post ? bearing in mind you reckon I was lying.

Yes please, much better;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭King Of Wishful Thinking

A 39 year old man has sex with a 15 year old and you appear to be downplaying the warped and sick actions of the individual concerned. Very creepy.

No, he's just being realistic.

In many EU countries, it wouldn't even be seen as illegal for him to have had a relationship with the girl.

He was 35 by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

This was rape (you can wrap in up in shiny glitter paper but it was rape) how creepy that he first groomed her at his 16 year olds daughters birthday. A very sick man indeed.

Also feel sorry for his daughter, will have had a negative impact on her life too.

This man took absolute advantage of a young naive girl and I'm delighted his name has been made public

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Will he have to pay child support ?

Went on a few dates with a girl before who was married and had a kid at 15.. Tribe traditions. So was she raped or was she a member of a different society where age of consent is different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

What's the difference between defilement and rape? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Went on a few dates with a girl before who was married and had a kid at 15.. Tribe traditions. So was she raped or was she a member of a different society where age of consent is different?

Every 3 seconds, another girl is forced or coerced to marry.

Because I am a Girl

Does it make it right just because it is accepted by other societies? Does it make it right just because it is the done thing elsewhere?

I don't think so.. Just a thought. She ran away from it all and became a tour guide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Because I am a Girl

Does it make it right just because it is accepted by other societies? Does it make it right just because it is the done thing elsewhere?

Right and wrong are societal constructs so by definition in those societies, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Saying grabbing a girl and having sex with her against her will is the same as sleeping with a 15 year old who wants it is the same is stupid at best, Both may be illegal but calling the 2nd act the 1st is wrong and misleading.

The girl is not a hero, or maybe hero does not mean that much anymore.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

cowzerp wrote: »
    Saying grabbing a girl and having sex with her against her will is the same as sleeping with a 15 year old who wants it is the same is stupid at best, Both may be illegal but calling the 2nd act the 1st is wrong and misleading.

The girl is not a hero, or maybe hero does not mean that much anymore.

I can't even begin to describe how offensive this comment is. Clearly you've never had yourself or a close family member be in the situation of being groomed for this purpose. Do you think it's ok that the 15 year old was groomed to having sex with this man? Clearly you have no idea of the long term psychological implications of such acts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Very creepy.

Are you going to tell the Daly Mail about me being realistic?

Put down the pitchfork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

9959 wrote: »
    It was 'squod' who brought a thinly veiled 'I do believe in God' into this thread with his 'I'm going to say a prayer for her today' comment.
    Some people believe in god and they say a prayer for others as a goodwill gesture - does that have to be pissed all over? I'm atheist btw.
    vicwatson wrote: »
    Why is he not a Paedophile/Paedo?
    Because she wasn't a little kid when they had sex - the word is used incorrectly far too much.
    A 15-year-old may want to have sex with an older person. The older person definitely shouldn't have sex with them, but it is not always a case of force, and often consensual. As someone mentioned: that teen in England and her teacher.
    I know there's the legal definition of statutory rape but ethically I think it's wrong to gloss over the consent aspect and equate it to a situation where a person is actually forced into sex and violated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

cowzerp wrote: »

The girl is not a hero, or maybe hero does not mean that much anymore.[/QUOTE]
    Being groomed and taken advantage of probably makes her a slut in your eyes, but in the eyes of any decent human being she is a hero and incredibly brave!
    As a parent comments like yours make me extremly worried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Why is this not statutory rape though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Why is this not statutory rape though?
    No such offence exists in Irish law, our equivelant is Defilement of a child

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Just to clarify, are people arguing the semantics over legal (and other) terms used?

Or are people trying to defend a 35 year old guy who groomed the 15 year old friend of his 16 year old daughter to have sex with him?

I can understand the former, the latter is indeed (to use a term used earlier), at the very least, creepy

Dodge wrote: »
    Or are people trying to defend a 35 year old guy who groomed the 15 year old friend of his 16 year old daughter to have sex with him?
    No. Wait... where does it say he groomed her?

All people are saying is: sometimes teens do want to have sex with much older people so it's not always forced on them. Doesn't mean it's right for the older person to actually go ahead and do it though.
    There are cases too where the person wanted it as a teen and then look back in horror as adults, and while that's understandable, it doesn't change the fact they weren't forced into it when younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gotya

http://www.donegaldaily.com/2012/10/24/abused-woman-asks-judge-to-name-father-of-her-child/

The court heard the girl’s mother knew about the relationship and said she would “see how it developed.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Is this guy in some way famous?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Madam_X wrote: »
    No. Wait... where does it say he groomed her?
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/sexual-predator-named-as-teen-drops-anonymity-3271878.html
    indo wrote:
    The court heard that former soldier Heaton, from Lartigue village in Listowel, Co Kerry, had first groomed his victim when she was invited to his daughter's 16th birthday party
    All people are saying is: sometimes teens do want to have sex with much older people so it's not always forced on them. Doesn't mean it's right for the older person to actually go ahead and do it though.
    There are cases too where the person wanted it as a teen and then look back in horror as adults, and while that's understandable, it doesn't change the fact they weren't forced into it when younger.

I appreciate that. My argument is that a 35 year old who wants to have sex with the 15 year old friend of his daughter is at the very least, creepy. While the 15 year old may have been willing, that doesn't absolve the 35 year old of blame (IMO)

Yeh sorry. Ok I'm confused between this and another case - this guy groomed her, he's a prick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭King Of Wishful Thinking

Just because a newspaper has said that this guy "groomed" her - doesn't mean that that is what he actually did. What does that even mean anyway? It's just become a buzz word around these cases to imply nefarious intentions. Even the judge himself said he wasn't sure if it was a situation of mutual infatuation or not.

Anyway, I just don't feel he should die for what he did - save the lynch mob for those more deserving of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

"Paedo" :rolleyes: Would ya's ever go and .....

He's sick minded by what I can tell, but it was statutory rape, not forced, physically violent rape. I'm assuming 'groomed' Implied the girl was naively seduced by him. Still quite wrong and unsettling though.

• Advertisement

He could have manipulated her in some way though. Let's not be too lenient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

If she wasn't seriously affected or disturbed by whatever happened to her I doubt she would have went through the grueling legal process to have the guy held to account over it. I can't imagine her wanting to out the guy and sacrifice her own privacy unless it was more than a case of been 'naively seduced'.

At the end of the day; the guy entered a guilty plea to the charges put before him, so it's a bit odd that some appear to be doubting his culpability. If there mitigating factors they would have been taken into account. I see no reason to doubt the girl when she says "he put me through hell".

The gist I'm getting is: he manipulated her into having sex with him, it's not the same as her having a crush on him and wanting it and he becoming attracted to her and eventually caving in (which can happen) - she was his daughter's friend and he took advantage of the situation, how messed up is that?! Ok it doesn't seem like he attacked her, threatened her etc but how is manipulation so much better? 15 is still young and vulnerable and immature. She is definitely very admirable. Those sneering at her - fuk 'em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Gotya wrote: »
    http://www.donegaldaily.com/2012/10/24/abused-woman-asks-judge-to-name-father-of-her-child/

The court heard the girl’s mother knew about the relationship and said she would “see how it developed.”

After reading that I'm confused about what the hell was going on at all. Apparently he initially thought she was older. He was 35 at his daughters 17th birthday. So that means he could have been 16 when she was conceived.

The "relationship" lasted months and the mother knew about it. And he had sex with her the first time he met her. That doesn't sound like grooming.

Honestly, it's like some fecked up storyline from eastenders or something off Jeremy Kyle. I have no idea what's going on at all.
    He shouldn't have been with a girl that young anyway, but beyond that i really haven't got a clue.

Yeh the "grooming" thing threw me. Despite what the judge said about it being an ambiguous term, I disagree. It means to prey on and manipulate - simples. The word shouldn't be used lightly.
    Some folks here though like Cowzerp and Fighting Irish are quite adamant without knowing the full story that she threw herself at him - bang of redneck off that attitude tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Gotya wrote: »

That is quite strange, doesn't really strike me as a 'wait and see' type of situation for a parent :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gotya

pm1977x wrote: »
    That is quite strange, doesn't really strike me as a 'wait and see' type of situation for a parent :eek:

Thats for sure.

I don't think this is all black and white, but for sure he shouldn't be having sex with a 15yo. For that alone, he should be done for having sex with someone underage.
    If her mother knew about it, like wtf?.. Has to be questions asked there.

All i know is, if it was anyone in my family, i'd break his face and put an end to it as soon as it started (or when i found out).

Advertisement