Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM POTENTIAL 31st Oct - 3rd Nov.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Wolfe_IRE wrote: »
    They're out there, I can smell them. Lurking in the bushes waiting to pounce on the first mention of sn.....frozen precipitation I mean

That was a close one !!

I think we need a codeword

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

t|nt|n wrote: »
    That was a close one !!

I think we need a codeword

Graupel.

Confab wrote: »
    Graupel.

I was thinking something like "knickers"

"I woke up and my garden was full of knickers"

"I had knickers up to my waist, what a day"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

"I made a knickerman with the kids today" just doesn't have the same ring to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

sccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhhneachtaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!:D

knickers is good.

had a knickersball fight in 2011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

thunderknickers :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

Knickers possible on high ground with wet knickers at sea level.

Wolfe_IRE wrote: »
    Knickers possible on high ground with wet knickers at sea level.

Winner :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

We are no longer allowed to annoy the knickerwabbits. By order.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭airman737

Knickerflakes, knickerploughs, knickerstorm....... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Harps wrote: »

On a somewhat related note, HIRLAM data seems to no longer be available, says on meteociel they're stopping releasing free data, a real loss if its gone everywhere

The same HIRLAM data still available on the Spanish Met Office (AeMET) site though does not cover the same wide area as it did on Meteociel.

http://www.aemet.es/en/eltiempo/prediccion/modelosnumericos/hirlam?opc2=sup&opc3=vi

The EMHI HIRLAM charts still up as well which cover most of Northern Europe and the NE Atlantic region:

http://www.emhi.ee/index.php?ide=19,394,416,419

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

airman737 wrote: »
    Knickerflakes, knickerploughs, knickerstorm....... :D

Slushy knickers,knickers starting to stick,I think we may use a different code word-the imagery is a bit too :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

All I'm saying is...."Don't eat the yellow knickers!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Should we now call the Isle of Man the.....

...Knicker Blocker Glory????

:D

What have I started :o

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

There is a whiff of knickers in the air today..........

Gets coat. Calls taxi, and leaves. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Can someone please fire up a feckin chart and put a stop to this daftness.

Only 151 days of snó potential to go..........:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

It's too cold for knickers.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Su Campu wrote: »
    It's too cold for knickers.....

Et tu Su? I dont believe it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Urgent to mods -- update thread title my suggestion

Level 2 ... Severe wind gusts likely in north on Thursday, may repeat Saturday

Urgent to readers ... model consensus now shows potential for very strong wind gusts in Donegal, Mayo and other parts of Connacht, Ulster on Thursday, arriving mid-day and translating east and southeast by evening.

May not be as severe in west Munster as a track from Donegal Bay to Dublin can be inferred from guidance.

Wind gusts to 120 km/hr (75 mph) appear possible, with wind-driven hail showers, snow on hills, almost a blizzard condition possible at higher elevations of northwest.

Saturday could be a total reload with Friday in between a more moderate strong wind continuation once the Thursday night gusts settle down.

Over to forecast thread for update now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Urgent to mods -- update thread title my suggestion

Level 2 ... Severe wind gusts likely in north on Thursday, may repeat Saturday

Urgent to readers ... model consensus now shows potential for very strong wind gusts in Donegal, Mayo and other parts of Connacht, Ulster on Thursday, arriving mid-day and translating east and southeast by evening.

May not be as severe in west Munster as a track from Donegal Bay to Dublin can be inferred from guidance.

Wind gusts to 120 km/hr (75 mph) appear possible, with wind-driven hail showers, snow on hills, almost a blizzard condition possible at higher elevations of northwest.

Saturday could be a total reload with Friday in between a more moderate strong wind continuation once the Thursday night gusts settle down.

Over to forecast thread for update now.

I just don't see anything near 75mph?

As the models appear at the moment, i could see perhaps a gust to 55kt at a maximum in some exposed areas of the north and northwest.

Will be breezy countrywide though, with widespread gusts from 30-40kt.

<This is not to say the models will change in the coming hours>

I just don't see anything near 75mph?

As the models appear at the moment, i could see perhaps a gust to 55kt at a maximum in some exposed areas of the north and northwest.

Will be breezy countrywide though, with widespread gusts from 30-40kt.

<This is not to say the models will change in the coming hours>

I'm a little baffled meself! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Personally, I don't see the potential for anything stronger than maybe 80 kph gusts for the exposed NW coasts on the models, a place well used to windy Autumn days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 torrential1

Met eireann certainly going for a cold blustery spell but no mention of any strong winds. I no expert but looking at charts etc I don't see any potential for more than gale gusts in the heavier showers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Was thinking the same, NAE shows no more than 45-50 kts on the NW coast Thursday evening/night, isolated gusts a bit higher maybe. Norwegian HIRLAM develops the system earlier and further south but wind isn't as strong

121101213118.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Windfinder has a fairly strong band of westerlies developing over Ulster very late Thursday/early Friday which are likely to be very gusty in any showers but debatable as to whether it is worthy of a 'Level 2'. Will be an interesting one to watch unfold.

226547.png

From: http://www.windfinder.com/forecasts/superforecast_ireland_animation.htm

12Z GFS 950 hPa heights (dm) and winds.

attachment.php?attach_id=b4c76716e58f5f96557e900e661eb90c&mid=id.299968396784157&hash=AQD5M4YQigYydFC5

Norwegian hirlam, 06Z Friday
    attachment.php?attach_id=00f13bbc235d756d8407ef715d05da01&mid=id.299334896833724&hash=AQCLC3fFWQqYb1B5

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Have it at Level 1 seems the general consensus is there wont be anything too bad , MT is prob in bed Im sure he will also update in the morning.

Have it at Level 1 seems the general consensus is there wont be anything too bad , MT is prob in bed Im sure he will also update in the morning.

At 3:35 pm??!!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Su Campu wrote: »
    At 3:35 pm??!!!!:D

Spends so much time here , has to get some shut eye when the rest of us are asleep :o

speaking of which ..............

Advertisement