Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM POTENTIAL 31st Oct - 3rd Nov.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I'm comfortable with the level one designation, have a feeling this will intensify on later charts but also reading some meso-scale potential into the situation.

Strongest winds would be close to midnight (west) to 0600 (east) or in about 24 hours from now, so time to adjust the level as required. I'm not here as much as people may think, if you're going by my username being listed at bottom of page, I keep windows open all day then click back on when required, so my actual time here is much less than that would imply. Also I have been known to fall asleep at all times of day, or at least, to be in bed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

I don't know, the charts say one thing but when M.T. seems that confident I think it's time to tie some stuff down...

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭whataboutnow

Hi guys. Level 1/2/3etc. What is the criteria for things to fall in to each category regarding wind so I can have a better understanding of what it means whenever a level 1 or etc is issued. I'm aware that it is more serious as you go up the levels

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭whataboutnow

Light sleet recorded at finner co.donegal http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Also I have been known to fall asleep at all times of day, or at least, to be in bed. :)

MT's new anthem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Capo Carbonara (116 m) in southeastern Sardinia reported sustained winds of 55 knots, with a gust to 67 knots, at 2255 tonight. Several other reports above 40 knots from land and sea stations around the Med.

METAR LIEC 312255Z 25055G67KT 9999 SCT017 19/14 Q0992 RMK SCT QUK / QUL / VIS MAR 15 KM VIS MIN 9999=

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Well lets hear what Met Eireann have to say as we head over to the general and Sea Area forecast on RTE Radio 1/ Sky 0160....Its five to Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

MT's new anthem

That's the most confusing and scariest thing I've seen all night.
    Oscar Bravo ... you're real? It was was five to midnight right?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Woke up to white cars, get up, get camera, get snap, frost almost gone already,

226659.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Interested to see M.T's forecast this morning. The update last night is considerably different to the most recent Met Eireann forecast. I wonder areMet Eireann being cautious with an upgrading to follow or will we see a downgrade this morning from M.T?

From Met Eireann this morning:-

National Forecast

01 November 2012 05:14

Today
    Today will be a cold day with early frost, mist and fog and the risk of icy patches.
    Eastern parts will have a dry morning but showers already in the West, will become widespread during the day, some of them heavy and of hail, with the risk of thunder.
    There'll be good sunny spells also but highest temperatures will just reach 6 to 8 Celsius. Westerly winds, initially light will increase strong and blustery.

Tonight

Tonight will be windy with clear spells and further showers, some heavy and prolonged in the North and Northwest. Lowest temperatures 2 to 4 degrees with frost in sheltered areas.

• Advertisement

Interested to see that M.T. Has left his forecast pretty much unchanged from his earlier advisory. Wonder what time Met Eireann will upgrade. Anyhow, looking forward to something other than bland damp weather :)

MTC still comfortable with the level one alert at this point, but note that it only applies to northern half of country generally speaking north of a line from central Clare to Dublin-Wicklow border, and therefore no level one advisory implied for southern half. Could be locally level 2 in isolated parts of northwest but that's the region most accustomed to strong winds. I am somewhat concerned about a meso-scale event developing but the guidance has for now halted an earlier trend to stronger winds and is holding steady for tonight. Timing appears similar to previous post, peak gusts around midnight in northwest and towards morning in east. There should be a less windy interval later Friday but another round of strong winds on Saturday.

Will assess for an update around 5-7 p.m. but this thread will no doubt pick up on any changes from 06z run before I restart the weather machine here.

Perhaps the potential for hail is the most urgent risk especially for those driving longer distances today and tonight. Roads could become quite slippery as the hail falls then partially melts to leave icy sections later on. Also quite a chill with the strong winds and rather low temperatures overnight.

Just slightly South of central Clare.

Looking forward to comparing conditions with Wolfe Ire later :D

Many thanks for the post and as always a detailed and interesting forecast ;)

Oslo Hirlam 00z run has a possible mesoscale feature developing off the Donegal coast tomorrow morning. Dosen't look especially noteworthy and may be dropped in later runs but worth keeping an eye on just for the time being.

226597.png

from yr.no

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I'm very surprised those very heavy showers off the west coast aren't thundery with cold Arctic air over the still warm sea?
    Look at the English Channel earlier.

http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

I'm very surprised those very heavy showers off the west coast aren't thundery with cold Arctic air over the still warm sea?
    Look at the English Channel earlier.

http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

One of those showers moving in over here now and can assure you that it is not in least bit heavy. Typical sloppy polar shower.

Current radar returns looks sorta weird, like a giant claw mark or something.
    226626.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Current radar returns looks sorta weird, like a giant claw mark or something.

A day late :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

the heavy stuff is out over the sea at the moment, the showers should get a lot heavier later in your parts.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

Frequency of the wintry showers has picked up in West Limerick and the wind has increased also since morning :)

Large amounts of leaves coming off the trees has considerably increased from earlier this morning also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

A 72kph gust was recorded at Valentia at 1pm. Winds will pick up in the west and north this evening

• Advertisement

MET EIREANN

West to Northwest gales this afternoon and evening on coasts from Carnsore Pt to Mizen Head to Slyne Head and West to northwest gales developing this evening and tonight on coasts from Slyne Head to Malin Head to Howth Head and on the north Irish Sea
    Issued at 13:00 on 1-Nov-2012

06z GFS maintains "borderline" look to overnight wind event but intensifies Saturday to almost a country-wide level one isolated two sort of a thing, will wait to see 12z model consensus before advance-alerting on that (was already covered in forecast).

A few clues exist about tonight's potential, for example the K5 buoy, often not that responsive to northwest winds for whatever reason in my experience (I have learned to adjust it upwards on them) has shown a fairly long run of 30-33 knot winds and has built 7m waves, which extend to 5m waves at the other UK buoy in outer Donegal Bay. Not a complete proof but if forced this sector could get gusty. Satellite imagery shows back edge of showers as the most likely early indicator of trough line developing. More vigorous convection appears to be moving towards shore in Mayo at present to replace what DE commented on as weak clusters already inland (lots of them too).

Saturday looks more powerful now on this model run. We would get blown away with that pattern around where I am, but that's partly due to topographic forcing that doesn't exist in Ireland. Whenever there's a tight W gradient here, the wind rushes in from WNW between the high coastal mountains and the peaks on Vancouver Island, that squeeze play sends a locally constrained wind max over parts of the city while others in the northeast part of the city are sheltered and don't see much. In a strong WSW flow, the city of Victoria will get hit from channelling of winds through the Juan de Fuca strait while Vancouver will often have much lower wind speeds. Backing to SW and these winds then howl out of Puget Sound and hit the southeast quadrant of the Vancouver region missing downtown to about my location in what's called the "Olympic shadow" which also applies to rainfall.

Any similar local effects in Ireland that people know about? From wind damage reports I became aware of some similar eddy effects around the Kerry peaks, and we've discussed the Dublin regional effects extensively. The terrain in Connacht looks a bit too "bumpy" to do a lot of guiding of wind flows, but I expect there would be marked contrasts on various sides of the higher portions in different wind directions. Can see on google earth some ideal wind-notch possibilities in Donegal and Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

The wind has picked up here, nothing major but certainly increased in the last two hours. The showers have intensified as well.

An 85kph gust was reported at Sherkin Island in West Cork at 3pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

No sign of any wind here yet anyway.

Pangea wrote: »
    No sign of any wind here yet anyway.

226636.gif

(inspired by Iancar29!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

06z GFS maintains "borderline" look to overnight wind event but intensifies Saturday to almost a country-wide level one isolated two sort of a thing, will wait to see 12z model consensus before advance-alerting on that (was already covered in forecast).

A few clues exist about tonight's potential, for example the K5 buoy, often not that responsive to northwest winds for whatever reason in my experience (I have learned to adjust it upwards on them) has shown a fairly long run of 30-33 knot winds and has built 7m waves, which extend to 5m waves at the other UK buoy in outer Donegal Bay. Not a complete proof but if forced this sector could get gusty. Satellite imagery shows back edge of showers as the most likely early indicator of trough line developing. More vigorous convection appears to be moving towards shore in Mayo at present to replace what DE commented on as weak clusters already inland (lots of them too).

Saturday looks more powerful now on this model run. We would get blown away with that pattern around where I am, but that's partly due to topographic forcing that doesn't exist in Ireland. Whenever there's a tight W gradient here, the wind rushes in from WNW between the high coastal mountains and the peaks on Vancouver Island, that squeeze play sends a locally constrained wind max over parts of the city while others in the northeast part of the city are sheltered and don't see much. In a strong WSW flow, the city of Victoria will get hit from channelling of winds through the Juan de Fuca strait while Vancouver will often have much lower wind speeds. Backing to SW and these winds then howl out of Puget Sound and hit the southeast quadrant of the Vancouver region missing downtown to about my location in what's called the "Olympic shadow" which also applies to rainfall.

Any similar local effects in Ireland that people know about? From wind damage reports I became aware of some similar eddy effects around the Kerry peaks, and we've discussed the Dublin regional effects extensively. The terrain in Connacht looks a bit too "bumpy" to do a lot of guiding of wind flows, but I expect there would be marked contrasts on various sides of the higher portions in different wind directions. Can see on google earth some ideal wind-notch possibilities in Donegal and Derry.

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,599997,749998,0,1

some information on wind from the OSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,599997,749998,0,1

some information on wind from the OSI.

I seen that map before, but how does it work? I don't understand how to read it with regards to wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Extremely heavy showers and persistent rain here this afternoon. Some wintery stuff mixed in at one point too. Not a breath of wind at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Pangea wrote: »
    I seen that map before, but how does it work? I don't understand how to read it with regards to wind.

find it had to decipher myself, all I can work out is that the red bits seem to be the areas of high wind.

Advertisement