Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Aerial from XtraVision

Options
  • 25-10-2012 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭

I dropped into Xtra-Vision over the weekend and asked what they had to receive the new Irish digital signal that went live yesterday.

The said that the normally stock a receiver which was something like €80\€90 but they were all out - then I was told about a digital aerial that will pick it up no problem. Picture is attached.

I brought it home, tuned in the stations and was all good but yesterday evening all were gone, and I was unable to tune in anything....so the picture I was getting was obviously the analogue one and it doesn't actually work with digital. I'm going to go back in to the store this evening and get my money back...pain in the arse, expecially because I specifically asked was there anything else I needed apart from this little aerial an was told no.

P.S. Only cost €20 but just a warning to everyone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

then I was told about a digital aerial that will pick it up no problem.

If you check the terrestial forum on boards you'll find loads of threads/posts stating that there is no such thing as a "digital aerial". Loads of people are being mis-sold this type of product.

www.saorview.ie will tell you what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Its an Aerial, you plug that INTO the digital receiver.

Its all over the TV and Media, you need a Saorsat approved TV or Set Top box for it to work.

You just bought a UHF Aerial ... it even says what its for on the pic of the box !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Its an Aerial, you plug that INTO the digital receiver.

Its all over the TV and Media, you need a Saorsat approved TV or Set Top box for it to work.

You just bought a UHF Aerial ... it even says what its for on the pic of the box !

ok thanks guys, I get it now....like I said though, that was one of the questions I specifically asked before purchasing...do I need anything else or can I just plug this straight into my TV and get the new digital channels...was told yes

Its just down to the seller not knowing enough about the products they sell (and me not knowing enough about what I am buying)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

do I need anything else or can I just plug this straight into my TV and get the new digital channels...was told yes

First of all to get saorview you need an aerial. If you could get RTE, TV3 and TG4 before the swithcover (i.e. analogue) then there is a good chance your existing aerial will work.

I don't know if the aerial you got from Xtravision will work. It depends on your location, reception, etc.

At the end of the day what Xtravision sold you was an aerial - you need either a saorview approved TV or saorview approved settop box to receive irish digital channels through an aerial.

What kind of TV do you have?

Is it a new TV with saorview capabilities inbulit - if so simply plug TV into your aerial and scan the channels in.

If it is an older TV then you need a saorview settop box - plug aerial into saorview settop box and connect TV to settop box either by a scart or HDMI cable. Scan channels in.

If you are buying any equipment your best bet is to get a 'saorview approved' device. www.saorview.ie lists all approved products.

A good (but not too expensive) approved saorview settop box is this Walker one: http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-23-WP12DT&pages=1&prod=WP12DT&brands=WALKER&image=

Read www.saorview.ie - all the information is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Also if you are getting signal from mt Leinster the channels changed yesterday afaik from channel 48 to a different frequency. Have you tried to retune your digital channels?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

How were you watching TV previously ? What antenna did you have ? If it's a rooftop one then you may not need to buy anything other than a Saorview box. As asked by a previous poster, what is the make/model of your TV set ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭splashthecash

the tv is a good few years old and so does not have an in built digital receiver.

the aerial I was using was not on the roof..just connacted it to the tv beside it

I don't have any set-top box

so from what I see I need to buy one

Advertisement