Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outsourcing .NET Development?

Options
  • 25-10-2012 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Currently working on several in house projects with .NET (C#/VB/ASP)

We have some other projects coming down the pipeline but we just don't have the scope in house to do them.

Looking to outsource to agencies and third parties to help with the work.

Can anyone recommend any companies they've dealt with in the past?

Also, what was your experience with them? Obviously, there will be differences, but did you find it worthwhile/useful or were there issues afterwards?

Pm me if required also.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Would you not consider taking on some extra dev staff for a few months? That is the cheapest option in the long run. I hear too many horror stories about outsourcing. Your best bet is to have people doing the work with you, where you can really control what is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Hi COYW,

Thanks for the reply.

I know that taking on extra staff would be cheaper, but the problem always comes down to staff retention and ensuring enough work etc. I know that we have enough scope for the next 18/24 months but the issue with contractors is that they can come on for three months and leave, meaning that we'd have to start the training process etc of getting new people up to speed on our code, processes etc would be very time consuming.

I believe that outsourcing is a good idea as you'll be getting not just one resource but a full mirage of technical people who will be able to support and help with different aspects of the project.

I've reached out to a few people including emails that I've received so thanks for the replies in that respect.

If anyone else could share their experiences or recommend different outsourcing options, that would be great.

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

OREGATO wrote: »
    Hi COYW,

Thanks for the reply.

I know that taking on extra staff would be cheaper, but the problem always comes down to staff retention and ensuring enough work etc. I know that we have enough scope for the next 18/24 months but the issue with contractors is that they can come on for three months and leave, meaning that we'd have to start the training process etc of getting new people up to speed on our code, processes etc would be very time consuming.

I believe that outsourcing is a good idea as you'll be getting not just one resource but a full mirage of technical people who will be able to support and help with different aspects of the project.

I've reached out to a few people including emails that I've received so thanks for the replies in that respect.

If anyone else could share their experiences or recommend different outsourcing options, that would be great.

Thanks

Contracted into a company who outsourced me for 2 years and that worked well. Worked into 3 different companies for them.

On the other side, I also contracted into another company who due to workload got me to outsource the work. Tried a Ukrainian and 2 Indian companies, both on recommendations.
    Didn't work well to be very honest, impacted on my own work which increased my hours way out of control and also they need 100% attention which in the end probably cost more time than was worth.

Over the years I have "helped" out companies doing nixers (taxable) in the evenings in order to get them over a hump as they just couldn't get short term staff.

I probably depends on location too when looking for Dev staff.

Any Irish companies I have dealt with for outsourcing were expensive, but on the flip side of that you probably got a better output.

Only my own experiences. :D

Advertisement