Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which VPN?

Options
  • 25-10-2012 10:10am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys can anyone recommend a vpn? I've heard good things about ipredator and HideMyAss vpn. Any others worth considering? Just looking for something easy to use and effective - and good value. Hopefully minimal interference with daily browsing and usage etc Not essential but it would be nice to be able to pick the country it tunnels though, I hear HMA does this.

What do you guys use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I use Cisco VPN client ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Astrill are the best.

<---- Look at my location.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Zascar wrote: »
    I've heard good things about ipredator and HideMyAss vpn.

You heard wrong. HMA openly shafted some lad there last year. They aren't worth tuppence IMO. iPredator is expensive (and there may be some other reason not to use them that I can't remember off the top of my head).

Check out vpntunnel.se. They have a good privacy policy. Depending on how paranoid you are, I would be wary of any provider that doesn't allow some kind of anonymous payment though (e.g. bank lodgement).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Here's a good article on torrent freak about different VPN companies and their privacy policies

I see at least one is taking bitcoins which is nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭SparrowHawk

I've been using PrivateInternetAccess for a while now, very happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭brimal

Sorry to jump onto this thread, but I will be moving to Israel in a week and would like to be able to use 4od, rte player, etc. while over there.

I'm not too concerned with anonymity, I just need a fast VPN that will make it look like I'm in Ireland (or the UK even so I can get BBC)

Which one do you guys recommend?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

brimal wrote: »
    Sorry to jump onto this thread, but I will be moving to Israel in a week and would like to be able to use 4od, rte player, etc. while over there.

I'm not too concerned with anonymity, I just need a fast VPN that will make it look like I'm in Ireland (or the UK even so I can get BBC)

Which one do you guys recommend?

Please familiarise yourself with the charter. Discussing VPNs for bypassing region restrictions is not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Dey were Sooted

I moved from ipredator over to vpntunnel.se the other day - have to say vpntunnel.se is rubbish - very slow connection - waiting ages for pages to load and having to disable my firewall to use it as the software they provided does not do as it is supposed to ... had to wait 4 days for a reply from tech - i'm now trying to cancel my account and move somewhere else - will be doing a lot more research before i join another one .....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks please let us know which ones you pick!

• Advertisement

That's good feedback. I was using openvpn with vpntunnel.se before and found it grand (I was in the middle east at the time and was using it for skype etc.). I have a subscription that I'm not currently using. Will report back once I get around to setting it up on my router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Astrill have dozens of servers (100+ ?) to choose from. Many countries have multiple servers. They are the recommend choice for people in China so really, I think they are probably the safest option.

to be honest i found ipredator really good - changed to save some money but after a few days now i see why it's cheaper - if you can remember that other reason not to go with ipredator Khannie let us know ...

just an update - i went back to ipredator as i could not find any reason not to. once again i have a smooth running vpn .

i contacted vpntunnel.se for support and it took them four days to get back to me and they asked for the logs . i told them that i wished to cancel my subscription as i wasn't happy with the service - after a week of no reply i had this discussion with them on live support chat

13:15David Jones: Hello, Welcome to VPN Tunnel!
    13:15David Jones: How may I assist you today?
    13:16Visitor: hi david - i opened an account the other day but i am finding the connection poor - i would like to cancel and get my money back - i sent you an email but am still waiting for a reply ...
    13:16David Jones: May I know your ticket Id?
    13:17Visitor: just a moment please
    13:17David Jones: Sure.
    13:17Visitor: #xxxxxxxxxxx
    13:18David Jones: We have escalated your ticket as soon as possible. They will get back to you.
    13:19Visitor: that's okay so ... great!!!

that was about 10-14 days ago and i still have had no reply from them .....

this is a review on them

just contacted paypal to see can I open a dispute with them

Advertisement