Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working for Irish company in Australia

Options
  • 25-10-2012 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Im moving to Brisbane in Feb 2013 with my wife and we have a 175 permanent residency visa.

My current employer in dublin wants me to continue working for him from home in australia as a contractor.

My boss also has a company in Brisbane so he could possibly pay me through that company if needs be.

Im wondering does anyone have any advice on the best way to do this...

I know there is a double taxation agreement between Ireland and Australia but im struggling to understand it all.

This might be best in the taxation forum but I thought there might be someone here who is doing the same thing..

Thanks in advance

bigbadcon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

You need to speak to a tax advisor about your tax situation. No one here can help you with that. You will most likely pay Australian tax on your Australian income. With regard to payment by your employer, you could set up an ABN number and work as a contractor. Or you could work as an employee of your employers Australian business.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

Thanks ballooba,

Im in the process of finding out the ins and outs of it with both an irish account and a contracting umbrella company in australia.

I will be working as a contractor either way ( I should have said that) but I just thought someone here might be doing the same thing that could tell me the way they are doing it. Some of the people Im getting advice off have their own interests in getting me to sign up to their umbrella company etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

A lot of Irish guys have ABNs, especially trades. I don't know how much it costs to get an accountant to do your tax return and how that compares to umbrella company fees. I'd recommend an accountant in Brissie, only I wouldn't trust them as far as I would throw them!:) The ones I know that is.

I think there are advantages of having an ABN, such as for leasing vehicles. Australia is an entrepreneurial culture (moreso than here I think) so you never know what you might to decide to do with your ABN in the future. You may even want to take on extra work in the short term depending on your circumstances. The entrepreneurial culture also means that there are small accountancy practices everywhere.

Advertisement