Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Design

Options
  • 25-10-2012 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

I'm currently an accountant. I would like to learn how to build websites and some basic HTML coding. What would be the best software for me to use to build aesthetically impressive and usable site. I understand that this might not be too easy but I am willing to make a big time investment in this.

I've been thinking along the lines of Dreamweaver.

Is there any courses availiable that are good, or books.

There are so many good online business opportunities- people sometimes forget that we really are in the early days of the information age.
    It's only 20 years since people first started using the internet commercially.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Eiriu wrote: »
    I'm currently an accountant. I would like to learn how to build websites and some basic HTML coding. What would be the best software for me to use to build aesthetically impressive and usable site. I understand that this might not be too easy but I am willing to make a big time investment in this.

I've been thinking along the lines of Dreamweaver.

Is there any courses availiable that are good, or books.

There are so many good online business opportunities- people sometimes forget that we really are in the early days of the information age.
    It's only 20 years since people first started using the internet commercially.

Lots. It really depends on your objective. Do you want to learn to create websites.

Or do you have a web based business idea that you want to get off the ground.

If it is the latter? Why try to re invent the wheel and do it all yourself. No disrespect intended but why not engage with professionals that have the skills.

I think you'll find that if your idea becomes a runner... you will need a team behind you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Depending on what you want to achieve, you could look at an open source CMS solution such as WordPress or Joomla.

Both have a huge following and plenty of forums and users who can help with your queries.

Take a look at online tutorials as well, w3schools is a good starting point for the run down on HTML/CSS etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Eiriu

I want to be able to build a website myself, or at least understand the basics.

I respect your post with regard to hiring a professional. However I believe it necessary to have some understanding of website design and programming to start an ebusiness. I will unlikely be able to do everything myself- but some understanding is vital- in order to maintain control.

I will have a unique skillset if I become good at website design.

Most ebusiness ideas fail due to poor business reasoning.

I want to learn the basics of building websites, that achieve mordern business needs.

better to learn now than 10 years down the line. This is going to be a massive growth area.

Why basic computer programmming is not taught in primary and secondary schools is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

I respect your post with regard to hiring a professional. However I believe it necessary to have some understanding of website design and programming to start an ebusiness. I will unlikely be able to do everything myself- but some understanding is vital- in order to maintain control.

I want to learn the basics of building websites, that achieve mordern business needs.

better to learn now than 10 years down the line. This is going to be a massive growth area.

Why basic computer programmming is not taught in primary and secondary schools is beyond me.

I learned basic HTML and CSS on W3 Schools, they have tutorials there which are helpful, got a book or two on HTML as well but mostly just learned the basics from the W3 above. I then used Notepad++ to create on. If you want to know how to create a website I would start there.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Then I think something like: http://www.codecademy.com/ is probably up your street. You'll soon pick up a lot of the basics... again like most things it's putting theory into practice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Eiriu

Thanks for all your help.

Have started on W3

Advertisement