Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In Defence of Travellers

• 25-10-2012 10:43am
    Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Across Ireland, travellers seem to have a bad name. I was one of those guys who held the attitude that they weren't particularly good people.

So I decided to test my prejudice. I decided to interact with travellers as much as possible. And what I found out both surprised and pleased me in equal measures. I met many travellers who are hard working members of society. I got the understanding that these people want to contribute to society but also want to hold onto traditions that they hold dear. Is that too much to ask?

Look at the rich culture they have. Their own language, Shelta, their own traditons, the fact that they have such a unique heritage. The more I think about it, the more wonderful I think it is.

Look at people like Paddy Keenan, a wonderful addition to Irish life. Look at John Joe Nevin, did himself, his community and his country proud winning a medal at the Olympics this summer. Particularly in music and sport has Traveller influence been most seen, two of the greatest examples as to what defines culture.

In sumation I think its time that people put their prejudices aside and attempted to interact with travellers. People will see that travellers are just human beings and that their rep and stereotype is not particularly true at all.

Its time that travellers became the valued for their contributions to Irish life.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

This is going to end well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

You hated them, and now you don't. And you want us all to now subscribe to your beliefs?

Some people have had some terrible experiences with travellers so don't expect them to be so liberal with their olive branch.

A lot of them contribute nothing to society and leave a trail of theft and destruction in their wake when they move from place to place.

Travellers will get more respect from society when they start to treat society with more respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Do you like dags?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

This is going to end well
    Indeed.

Unfortunately OP, this thread is only going to end up in the usual traveller-bashing so I'm going to close it before that happens.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement