Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Italian experience in Limerick?

• 25-10-2012 10:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

hi guys!
    I sent on my first holidays in years this year, went for one week to Italy and loved it. I love Italian food, culture (opera), and I was just wandering where in Limerick you can go to imbibe some authentic Italian culture and/or cuisine?
    I know there is a great cafe in Castletroy (cant recall the name just now), they do a really nice pizza, and I sometimes have lunch in a cafe in town called Olio e Farina in Catherine Street.
    Where else in Limerick can you go to to enjoy Italan food, drink or culture?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Golden Grill.... :D

Seriously though, you have:
    • La Piccola Italian Restaurant on O'Connell Street,
    • Bella Italia Italian Bistro on Thomas Street,
    • Milano's Restaurant and Pizzara on Howley's Quay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Or hook up with some Italians in UL!

I was out in La Cucina recently and there were some Italians eating in there, so I'll take that as a good sign.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Definitely La Piccola or Bella Italia :D La Cucina is also fabulous :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Papa Gino's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Tuscany Bistro in Castletroy/Annacotty. The food is absolutely top notch. I was very pleasantly surprised when I ate there for the first time recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

Jofspring wrote: »
    Tuscany Bistro in Castletroy/Annacotty. The food is absolutely top notch. I was very pleasantly surprised when I ate there for the first time recently.

Never heard of this place before, where is it?
    Ive heard/know of all the others before...
    used to be a nice Italian restaurant in steamboat Quay but I dont think they are around any more....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭moby2101

+ 1 for Tuscany...
    Best Italian in Limerick by a long shot!!

Papa Gino's

Is this still open? If so, where?

seachto7 wrote: »

Still in the same spot on Denmark street.
    banjobongo wrote: »
    Never heard of this place before, where is it?
    Ive heard/know of all the others before...
    used to be a nice Italian restaurant in steamboat Quay but I dont think they are around any more....

It's out by o'connells pub across from Castletroy College.

I much preferred it to la cucina. Way more flavour to the food.

well, Tuscany is more a place where you could go for a meal, whereas la cucina is a place, where, yes, you can go for a meal, but it's way more informal, more like the Italian style take aways, where you can get pizza al taglio etc....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

seachto7 wrote: »

As far as I know yes, Denmark street, across from Flanney's bar, couple of doors down from Garvey's barbers, born & bred Italian, disrespect his pizza and you will sleep with the fish's :D

As far as I know yes, Denmark street, across from Flanney's bar, couple of doors down from Garvey's barbers, born & bred Italian, disrespect his pizza and you will sleep with the fish's :D

non c'e problema, parlo la lingua, quindi, devo andare questa fina settimana....:)

• Site Banned Posts: 40 soprano123

I like a sausage in batter from Luiggi's , there flown in from naples i hear

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

Got to give thumbs up to Casa Nostra in mount Kenneth too, staff are very nice and pure Italian like :) music a bit dodgy (maybe like in Italy?) But the food is delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

You wanta the pepper on that?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

moby2101 wrote: »
    + 1 for Tuscany...
    Best Italian in Limerick by a long shot!!

You have obviously never been to La Piccola Italia so?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Jofspring wrote: »

Do they do take aways?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Mc Love wrote: »

I really don't rate this place at all. I've tried it about three times and have not been impressed. Food is only okay and the staff can be down right rude.

I used to really like San Lorenzo's on Steamboat Quay but unfortunately the are no more. Tuscany can be quite good but Limerick is really missing a good Italian.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Not living in Limerick so I can't say but, on a general rule, you'd be much better off buying a genuine Italian cookbook and trying things yourself - all "Italian" restaurants around IE and UK anglicize the dishes, much like the various Chinese, Thai etc. do.
    h3000 wrote: »
    ...the staff can be down right rude.

Now, THAT would be the real Italian experience! Have the staff treat you like they treat Italian customers in Italy :)

Source: born and lived in Naples for the fist 27 years of my life...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Now, THAT would be the real Italian experience! Have the staff treat you like they treat Italian customers in Italy :)

Source: born and lived in Naples for the fist 27 years of my life...
    Haha, it's just not authentic unless they look at you as if you were dirt on their shoe. Stopped off for a stroll round the kildare village outlet at the weekend and grabbed a coffee in the italian place - bang on authentic, they must import the staff especially. Nice coffee too.

• Advertisement

There is a restaurant in Rome called "Lo Parolacce" which loosely translates as "the insult", if I'm not mistaken. Well the novelty of the restaurant is you go there, and the staff abuse you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

h3000 wrote: »
    I really don't rate this place at all. I've tried it about three times and have not been impressed. Food is only okay and the staff can be down right rude.

Wow I am really surprised by this! The staff are nothing but friendly every time I am there. Mi familia and my fiance's love this restaurant and the food is absolutely top notch! Its really good value too

The best italian restaurant in Limerick

NinjaK wrote: »

Do they do take aways?

They certainly do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Have to say never impressed with that place. La Cucina gets top marks for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭moby2101

Ive eaten here a good few times over the years, imho its average at best...

Advertisement