Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ISSF World Cup Final 2012

• 25-10-2012 11:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

From the ISSF website, with permission:

http://www.issf-sports.org/news.ashx?newsid=1753
    OLYMPIC CHAMPIONS READY FOR THE ISSF RIFLE&PISTOL WORLD CUP FINAL

004_AR40.jpg

Starting from the London Prepares World Cup in April, and then passing through Milan and Munich, this year’s ISSF World Cup Series comes to an end in Bangkok, a city that has already hosted several ISSF events in the past.

Only the best shooters of the world – 93 athletes from 34 courtiers - were invited to participate in the 2012 ISSF World Cup Final. The Olympic medallists of London 2012, the title defenders, and the best rifle and pistol shooters of the world selected through this year’s ISSF World Cup Series, will fight for the ISSF Cups.

The Final will be officially opened on the 23rd of October, and will run right up to Saturday the 27th staging all the 10 Rifle & Pistol Olympic events as well as the classic Champions’ Trophy.

Check out who qualified for the event at:
    http://www.issf-sports.org/results/wcf_qualification/portraits_riflepistol.ashx

http://www.issf-sports.org/news.ashx?newsid=1754
    THAILAND’S DEPUTY PRIME MINISTER OPENED ISSF RIFLE & PISTOL WORLD CUP FINAL

The 2012 ISSF Rifle & Pistol World Cup Final was officially opened in Bangkok, Thailand, today. After passing through London, Munich and Milan, this year’s ISSF World Cup Series ends up in Thailand, a country that had already hosted the event in 2004, 2007, 2008.

Thailand’s Deputy Prime Minister and NOC President, His Excellency General Yuthasak Sasiprapha, opened the 2012 ISSF Rifle & Pistol World Cup Final, welcoming the shooting champions to Bangkok’s Shooting Range.

“We are at the end of a long and successful Olympic year. And I would like to tell the participants: be proud to be here! Only the best of the best athletes were invited to participate in this event, and you - our dear athletes - do represent the top class in our sport.” Mr. Schreiber added.

Only the top performers were indeed invited here to compete in this Final. Ninety shooters coming from 34 countries arrived here: the 2012 Olympic Champions, the Olympic medallists, the World Cup title defenders and the best athletes selected throughout this year’s ISSF World Cup Series.

From tomorrow on, they will compete in the 10 Olympic Rifle & Pistol events, trying to secure the ISSF Cups in the last match of the year.

...continued

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

DEBEVEC SECURES 50M RIFLE PRONE TROPHY AT ISSF WORLD CUP FINAL

20121024_FR60PR_001.jpg

The London 2012 Olympic Bronze medallist Rajmond Debevec of Slovenia won today’s 50m Rifle Prone Men event at the ISSF World Cup Final in Bangkok, Thailand.

The 49-year old champion, a three-time Olympic medallist, had never won a World Cup Final in this event, before

Qualified with a score of 596 points, tied to Switzerland’s Marcel Buerge in the lead, Debevec shot one of today’s highest finals (103.9 points), and ended up in first with an overall score of 699.9 points, beating his opponents on the last three shots.

Marcel Buerge (SUI), 40, finished in second place securing the Silver medal with an overall score of 699.1 points, after shooting-off France’s Valerian Sauveplane, today’s Bronze medallist, 10.6 to 10.4 points.

The Swiss finalist led the match right up to the eighth final shot, when he scored a frustrating 9.4-shot which pulled him down in second. Buerge, a three-time Olympian, had never finished on a World Cup Final podium, out of four participations.

France’s 32-year old flag bearer Valerian Sauveplane shot today’s highest score in the final, 104.1 points, but due to his lower qualification score (595 points) and to an unlucky 9.6 shot in the final, he did not make it to the highest step of the podium. With an overall score of 699.1 points, and a 10.4 in the shoot-off, he closed his match in third pocketing the Bronze medal.

...continued

KOREA’S OLYMPIC 25M PISTOL WOMEN CHAMP KIM POCKETED WORLD CUP FINAL TITLE

24102012_SP_News.jpg

Korea’s young Olympic Champion Kim Jangmi won today’s 25m Pistol Women Trophy at the 2012 ISSF World Cup Final in Bangkok, Thailand.

The 20-year old world’s no.1 climbed up from the third place, overtaking Germany’s Munkhbayar Dorjsuren and Ukraine’s Olena Kostevych, to win the World Cup.

The Korean shooter made it to the final match with a qualification score of 588 points, three points behind the qualification’s leader Dorjsuren. But then, with an exceptional final of 205.2 points, she moved up in the lead, closing the match in first with 793.2 points.

Kim had finished in the spotlights already two years ago, when she had clinched the Youth Olympic Games Gold medal in Singapore. From there on, she kept on winning. First she secured Gold at the pre-Olympic World Cup in London, last April, and then won the Olympics, in front of more than 2000 spectators.

“This has been a great season for me. I am happy that 2012 ended with a victory!” Kim said.

...continued

50M PISTOL EVENT: CHINA'S ZHANG STEALS THE SHOW, AND CLINCHES WORLD CUP FINAL GOLD

24102012_FP_news.jpg

China’s Zhang Tian, 32, won the 50m Pistol Men event competition at the 2012 ISSF World Cup Final held in Bangkok, Thailand, today.

The 32-year old shooter finished in the first with an overall score of 664.9 points, winning his first ISSF World Cup Final.

Zhang arrived here in Thailand to compete in the final after winning a Bronze medal at this year’s pre-Olympic ISSF World Cup in London. Shooting on the lines of the Bangkok’s shooting range, he passed through the qualification with 565 points, finishing in second place on the start list of the final match.

Shooting solidly, the Chinese finalist overtook the qualification’s leader Matsuda by marking 99.9 points in the final, and clinched the Gold medal with 664.9 points and more than 3 points of advantage on his followers.

...continued

A 7-POINT LEAD BOOSTED SYKOROVA’S SUCCESS AT THE 50M RIFLE 3 POSITION W. FINAL

25102012_STR3X20.jpg

The 2012 ISSF Rifle & Pistol World Cup Final, held in Bangkok, Thailand, from the 22nd to the 28th of October, continued with the 50m Rifle 3 Positions Women event, today.

Adela Sykorova of Czech Republic pocketed the Gold medal, and secured the ISSF World Cup trophy, with an overall score of 684.3 points.

The 25-year old Olympic Bronze medallist turned out to be the best during the morning’s qualifications. With a score of 587 points (and 33 inner tens), she made it to the final round in first place, with 7 points of advantage on her followers.

Shooting with such a head start over the other finalists, Sykorova scored 97.3 points in the 10-shot final, and closed the match in the lead, securing the Cup.

“I was a bit nervous during the final,”
    The young champion said “I did well in the qualfications, but the final match it’s always different, and that’s why I did not score at my best in the last ten shots.”

“This has been a great year.”
    Sykorova continued. “After the Olympics, and after this World Cup Final, I will hopefully take some time off.”

“We did not plan the next season. I would participate in all the ISSF World Cup Stages, but it’s a matter of finances… We will decide later on where I will be compete next year.”

Nobody could catch the winner up, today. The 10m Air Rifle Olympic Silver medallist, Poland’s Silwia Bogacka, 31, finished in second place, securing a spot on the podium with 680.7 points. After qualifying in second place with 580 points, she marked 100.7 points in the final, closing the match with a great 10.8 shot. But that was not enough to make up the huge disadvantage of 7 points she had from Sykorova after the qualifications.

China’s 2008 Olympic Champion Du Li followed in third. Shooting consistently, and marking today’s best score in the final, she climbed up from the fourth place to win the Bronze with 679.8 (578+101.8) points. On her way to the podium, Du overtook the 1998 World Champion Sonja Pfeilschifter of Germany.

...continued

USA’S PARKER CLINCHES 50M RIFLE 3 POSITIONS MEN WORLD CUP TROPHY

ISSF_Logo_flag_312x468.jpg

“It feels great to win the ISSF World Cup Final!” USA’s Jason Parker said, wearing the 50m Rifle 3 Positions Men Gold medal, at the ISSF World Cup Final in Bangkok, today.

The 38-year old US Champion made it to the final round with a head-start of four points, and then managed his advantage right to the last shot. Scoring 95.5 points during the final, Parker finished on the highest step of the podium with an overall score of 1266.5 points, securing the trophy.

“Entering the final with such an advantage made me a bit nervous. I need a bit of pressure, to do well in finals.” Parker said.

“I have been competing in World Cup Finals since 1998, and dreaming of a Gold medal since then. It’s finally around my neck, and it feels great!”
    The winner said.

“I will now use the winter break to test some new materials, and to get ready for the next ISSF World Cup Season.”
    Parker concluded.

Three points behind him, Korea’s Han Jinseop pocketed the Silver medal with an overall score of 1263.5 points. Making it to the final with 1166, Han overtook Norway’s Ole Kristian Bryhn to finish on the second step of the podium with a final score of 97.5 points. Bryhn landed in third, securing the Bronze medal with a total score of 1263.0 (1167+96.0) points.

The winner of yesterday’s 50m Rifle Prone Men final, the Slovenian Olympic multi-medallist Rajmond Debevec, finished his match in seventh place. After qualifying with a score of 1158 points, several points behind the qualification’s leaders, he scored 97.8 points in the final.

...continued

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

They're slow getting videos up for this it would seem.

Yeah, but I'm still getting a kick out of the entry list for the Men's Air Rifle:
    WANG Tao CHN
    ZHU Qinan CHN
    PIASECKI Pierre Edmond FRA
    RICHTER Sergey ISR
    HELLENBRAND Peter NED
    MOLDOVEANU Alin George ROU
    KRUGLOV Serguei RUS
    KULISH Serhiy UKR

Nice to see that when an Irish team does reasonably well, it can get within spitting distance of the finalists in matches like this. (And I like that Piasecki's in there too, I thought I was a loon for shooting without a shooting glove till I saw him winning a world cup that way last year).

Videos are coming up...

Day 1 highlights:

Feck, but it looked breezy for the 50m shooting. And lots and lots of tight matches...

50m Men's Rifle interview:

25m Women's Pistol interview:

From [utl=http://www.issf-sports.org/news.ashx?newsid=1760]the ISSF website, with permission[/url]:
    GERMAN OLYMPIC HERO SCHUMANN QUIT SHOOTING, HE ANNOUNCED AT WORLD CUP FINAL

26102012_RFP.jpg

Today’s 25m Rapid Fire Pistol Men final, at the ISSF World Cup Final in Bangkok, will be remembered for the announcement of Ralf Schumann, the most titled German Olympian. The 3-time Olympic Champion chose this event, the last match of the 2012 season, to say good-by, after a 35-year long career. Bangkok’s final match was his stage to announce it.

Czech Republic’s Martin Strnad won the match. The 38-year old shoote secured the trophy by hitting 32 targets in the final. After qualifying for the final match with 585 points, he climbed up in the lead from the 5th place on the start list, pocketing his first ISSF Gold medal ever

But this competition will specially be remembered for the athlete who came in fourth. The best Rapid Fire shooter of all times, Ralf Schumann of Germany, turning 50 this year, left the shooting world scoring 22 hits here in Bangkok.

After winning three Olympic Golds, two Olympic Silvers (the last in Beijing 2008), as well as two ISSF World Championships and 13 ISSF World Cup Finals, he decided to change life.

“I will become a full-time coach in Suhl.” Schumann explained. “I have been competing for 35 years. I have been 30 years in the German National Team. I feel it’s time to move on, and change my life.”

“I will still be part of the international shooting world, but I will see this from a different prospective.” The German shooter said.

“I have competed in more than 700 matches, in my career. I feel I have a lot to pass forward to the young generations.”

...continued
    End of an era there - the man dominated rapid-fire pistol for as long as I can remember.

KOSTEVYCH SECURES 10M AIR PISTOL TITLE AT ISSF WORLD CUP FINAL

20121027_AP40_001.jpg

London 2012 Olympic Bronze medallist Olena Kostevych of Ukraine, 27, won today’s 10m Air Pistol Women event, during the last day of competitions at the ISSF Rifle and Pistol World Cup Final held in Bangkok, Thailand.

The 2004 Olympic Champion Kopstevych started off the match with the highest qualification score, 388 points, tied to the London 2012 Silver medallist Celine Goberville of France, 26.

The two contenders duelled neck and neck right to the last two shots, when Goberville scored two frustrating shots of 8.9 and 9.0 points, sliding back in third place and leaving the Gold to Kostevych. The Ukrainian athlete marked a total score of 486.4 points to win the brightest medal, after firing 98.4 points during the final match.

Kostevych, who came here to defend the title she had won last year in Wroclaw, had pocketed two ISSF World Cup medals, this year, at the ISSF World Cup Stages in Milan and London.
    ...continued

• Advertisement

GERMANY’S PFEILSCHIFTER WINS ISSF WORLD CUP 10M AIR RIFLE FINAL

20121027_AR40_001.jpg

Sonja Pfeilschifter of Germany won the 10m Air Rifle Women title at the 2012 ISSF World Cup Final, held in Bangkok, Thailand.

The world record holder confirmed to be the best in the world once again, just three months after the Olympic Games in London, where she was not allowed to compete in this event by the team management.

In London, Pfeilschifter only competed in the 50m Rifle 3 Positions Women event – eventually placing in 19th – and complained about the decision of not admitting her in the Air Rifle team. A decision that came after four Olympic editions (1992, 2000, 2004 and 2008), four chances Pfeilschifter lost to secure an Olympic medal.

Starting today’s final with the highest qualification score, an almost-record of 399 points, the German athlete passed through the final with ease.

Scoring 104.2 points – one of today’s highest score in the final – Pfeilschifter marked an overall score of 503.2 points, securing her fifth ISSF World Cup Final trophy since 1999.

And only Pfeilschifter could stop the series Yi Siling’s golden results. The 23-year old Chinese shooter had won the 2010 ISSF World Championship, the 2010 Asian Games, the 2011 ISSF World Cup Final in Wroclaw, the 2012 Asian Championship and then triumphed at the Games.

Today, the Chinese champion followed Pfeilschifter in second, with 500.7 points. After making it to the final in third, with 398 qualification points, she climbed up by shooting 102.7 points in the final.

...continued
    I didn't realise that Pfeilschifter wasn't allowed compete in air rifle; that was a pretty nasty decision, she's been chasing an Olympic medal for decades and it's the one and only medal she's not won yet. The woman's easily a contender for best air rifle shooter of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

yeah, she's been making a lot of noise over that decision for the last year. Terrible idea, frankly, on the part of her federation. I can't imagine it did her head much good in London either, which won't have helped her 3x20 score any. She said in interviews that she reckons that's the end of her Olympic bids as well. What a kick in the face, eh?

Advertisement