Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you like your steak cooked?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

brummytom wrote: »
    God I hate food snobs.

I have mine well done. Fuck off if that's 'ruining' it, it's how I like it.

Have you tried medium rare before?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

Very well done.

You rare feckers are nasty.....:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Orim wrote: »
    I had a friend come home one night and decide the best thing he could do was stick a steak in the microwave for 20 minutes and then eat it.

He got a smack for crimes against steak.

He cooked it in the microwave??? Some people don't deserve food!

Just to second what canis lupis said about Heston's method, it works really well. You take the steak out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature (or near enough), baste with a little oil, then into a sizzling hot pan, turning every 15 seconds. for how long depends on how you like it but as most people here seem to like medium/medium rare that would mean 3/4 minutes. The constant turning makes the meat cook more evenly. But always take it ouy of the pan when it's a bit less done than you'd like as it continues to cook for a couple of minutes after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Blue ideally, but it usually ends up rare at best when i order in a restaurant here. It's one reason i love eating abroad, blue means blue.

ideally with either pepper sauce or a blue cheese and garlic sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭trodsky

If its a fillet I like to boil mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

AeoNGriM wrote: »
    Very well done.

You rare feckers are nasty.....:mad:

you dont know what you are missing, no point in wasting good steak by doing it well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

God I hate food snobs.

Whats the point?

Its just a mouth full of tasteless boot leather at that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

God I hate food snobs.

I used to eat mine medium/well done until i actually tried it medium, so much better. I think a lot of people don't like the idea of medium or rare and are put off by the uncooked appearance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

God I hate food snobs.

I know, people who sh1te on about steak being "ruined" at anything above rareness are bores.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

aidan24326 wrote: »
    He cooked it in the microwave??? Some people don't deserve food!

Just to second what canis lupis said about Heston's method, it works really well. You take the steak out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature (or near enough), baste with a little oil, then into a sizzling hot pan, turning every 15 seconds. for how long depends on how you like it but as most people here seem to like medium/medium rare that would mean 3/4 minutes. The constant turning makes the meat cook more evenly. But always take it ouy of the pan when it's a bit less done than you'd like as it continues to cook for a couple of minutes after.

But what thickness of steak would give you that result?

I used to eat mine medium/well done until i actually tried it medium, so much better. I think a lot of people don't like the idea of medium or rare and are put off by the uncooked appearance

A friend of mine insisted on having it well done for years as it's the way his mother had always cooked/ruined it, until we convinced him to try it medium rare. It took about two bites and he realised the error of his ways. he didn't realise steak could actually taste that good. Now he eats it blue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Rare with pepper sauce on the side.

On a seperate note, I love the Aldi and Lidl thick cuts of steak unlike the flat frisbee sized ones the other supermarkets do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

People get squeamish at the sight of any tasty juice.

Traditional steak, the way Mammys did it back in the day, is cooked under a grill until it's a curled up piece of leather. Many then serve it with chips and the entire mess is lashed with ketchup to mask its $hittiness. When people tell me they're not big on steak the above is usually the reason.

Proper steak is thick, you can't buy it in those styrofoam packs. They cut the steak too thin so it looks bigger for a given weight. It has to be cooked in direct contact with the heat, not 'under the grill' where the surface is dried out slowly and the juice drips out.

Preparation is everything, a good steak has to be washed and dried so it stays juicy on the inside but the outside doesn't boil in the juice.

Keep some cheap crappy meat around in case someone wants their steak well done. Throw it in the microwave and then feck it on a frying pan to shrivel it up more. They can't tell the difference and a good piece of meat would be wasted on these horrible excuses for carnivores.

trodsky wrote: »
    If its a fillet I like to boil mine.

Really? Do elaborate please.

I know, people who sh1te on about steak being "ruined" at anything above rareness are bores.

I know it's a matter of personal taste, each to their own and all that.

But it's just that beef becomes dry and chewy when you overcook it, doing it medium/medium rare retains the natural juicy succulence in the meat. So it isn't just a case of people being food snobs, the vast majority of people would simply agree that it's a nicer way to eat steak, in the same way that most people would prefer their fried or poached egg a bit runny as opposed to a ball of rubber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

It is pretty much is though. As soon as you go towards well done the steak has lost its flavour and you could then be eating anything.

I bet pretty much everyone who has well done steak smothers it in sauce so that it tastes of something.

There's nothing wrong with admitting that it's the look or feel of uncooked food which puts people off - it puts a lot of people off. But I don't buy that anyone could genuinely prefer the taste of well cooked steak because there is no taste at that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

God I hate food snobs.

I was the same until a few years ago. Moved from well done to medium, to medium rare. Occasionally I'll go for some steak tartare too.
    Each to their own though.
    Some don't like the idea of eating meat that hasn't been through the fires of hell for an hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

We need a pool, and anyone who votes for well done should be banned!

kowloon wrote: »
    Keep some cheap crappy meat around in case someone wants their steak well done. Throw it in the microwave and then feck it on a frying pan to shrivel it up more.

No, I won't, because I'm a decent human being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

smash wrote: »
    We need a pool, and anyone who votes for well done should be banned drowned!

Think I fixed your post there but not sure :confused:

Beefy78 wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with admitting that it's the look or feel of uncooked food which puts people off - it puts a lot of people off.

Yes, nothing wrong with that. That's not how it usually comes across though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Medium-Rare for me with Garlic butter and onions, dont like mushrooms so they can feck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I like mine medium / medium rare with pepper or bernaise sauce. Just finished an ALDI angus fillet steak before i found this thread
    Magic !

But what thickness of steak would give you that result?

Good question. And I don't have an exact answer. For sirloin/striploin I'm guessing about an inch would be ideal?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

you dont know what you are missing, no point in wasting good steak by doing it well

If I liked it done another way, I'd feckin well have it done another way!

Nuked is feckin delish! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I like mine as raw as possible, with a little bit of blood if possible. So very rare. It wrecks my head in restaurants, they never ever give you it rare. I really like steak in France but most of the time in Ireland you ask for rare you get medium

I don't care if other people like them well done though, its not ruined if they enjoy it like that.

I like mine as raw as possible, with a little bit of blood if possible. So very rare. It wrecks my head in restaurants, they never ever give you it rare. I really like steak in France but most of the time in Ireland you ask for rare you get medium

I don't care if other people like them well done though, its not ruined if they enjoy it like that.

There is virtually NO blood in steak. If the "well done brigade" knew this they might be more likely to try it cooked rare.

"the red juice in raw red meat is not blood. Nearly all blood is removed from meat during slaughter, which is also why you don’t see blood in raw “white meat”; only an extremely small amount of blood remains within the muscle tissue when you get it from the store. So what is that red liquid you are seeing in red meat? Red meats, such as beef, are composed of quite a bit of water. This water, mixed with a protein called myoglobin, ends up comprising most of that red liquid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Having a good piece of steak cooked "well done" (Total oxymoron there, but anyway...) is like buying a Ferrari which you only ever drive around at 30mph, and in second gear. Nobody can actually *like* that flavour, because the flavour has been cooked out. It's homogenous, bland, dry. You certainly can't tell the difference between a good and a terribly piece of meat at that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Anyone wondering about the Jack Daniels sauce I may have your solution. I make a whiskey sauce for my steak but I use Jameson (far superior whiskey). Once the steaks are cooked add 4 table spoons of whiskey to de glaze the pan, then add 25ml of cream, 125ml of beef stock and some chopped flat leaf parseley, bring to the boil and allow to simmer, when the sauce lightly coats the back of a spoon it is done. Try it and thank me later :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Forgot to mention I like my steak rare or medium rare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Shaken, not stirred.

• Advertisement

Yes, nothing wrong with that. That's not how it usually comes across though.

They're not even real people, they have no feelings to hurt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭King Of Wishful Thinking

Gauss wrote: »
    I like mine medium rare.

Medium rare. An aristocrat eh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Rare these days.

Also, you haven't lived til you've tried Aldi's Specially Selected Angus steaks, unreal.

Local owner of one of the fanciest restaurants says he can't even buy the same cuts, loves them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Boiled or fried, I'm satisfied as long as I get my smile... Never mind...

Was watching Masterchef Ireland last week, and was surprised to hear some of the contestants say that they don't know how to cook steak rare as they like theirs cremated!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Went to dinner with extended family a few years ago, my cousin ordered the steak. When asked what way she wanted it done, she responded "Well there is only ONE way to eat steak! Well rared please".

Fail! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Anyone wondering about the Jack Daniels sauce I may have your solution. I make a whiskey sauce for my steak but I use Jameson (far superior whiskey). Once the steaks are cooked add 4 table spoons of whiskey to de glaze the pan, then add 25ml of cream, 125ml of beef stock and some chopped flat leaf parseley, bring to the boil and allow to simmer, when the sauce lightly coats the back of a spoon it is done. Try it and thank me later :)

Jameson, macieira or some other brandy and you'll be grand.
    Frying a bit of shallot and garlic for a few seconds also helps.

I would think that overwhelmingly the tendency for eating badly cooked steak (there's a right and a wrong way to do everything - blue-medium is taste, anything beyond isn't "well done", it's overcooked, just the same as dry turkey or burned spaghetti bolognese is overcooked) is down to not having good quality meat available or the money to afford it until quite recently and a lack of knowledge of food safety, thinking that pink means you'll get food poisoning.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of charring on the outside - that's the point of a gridle pan or a grille in a restaurant - the important thing is that the inside is juicy and tasty. You don't get that if you overcook it and you're wasting money buying steak.
    You'd be better off using it in a stir fry, or if it's not great quality meat, in a stew.

A charred outside is pretty nice, but not at the cost of cooking it to leather.
    If you chuck a bit of salt on each side it draws out a bit of the surface moisture. Then when you wash it off and dry the steak you get your maillard reaction on the outside but a good juicy centre.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Blue.
    Though its damm hard to find a restaurant in this country which undersstands how a blue steak should be properly cooked.

Order a steak and just as soon as the waiter has called through the order call him back to cancel it and then when he's done that tell him to bring you the steak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Always have mine rare. All these sauces are unnecesary though IMO and are often used to mask poor quality or badly cooked meat. A well seasoned well cooked juicy steak should not need further embellishment.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Always have mine rare. All these sauces are unnecesary though IMO and are often used to mask poor quality or badly cooked meat. A well seasoned well cooked juicy steak should not need further embellishment.

I rad all your posts in Vincent Kartheiser's voice. Do you post them in his voice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

This!

Pepper sauce works well with dark meat, but a nice puddle of blood works well too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Well I used to always have it well done until last year when we went to Spain.

We went to a steakhouse and I thought I'd be adventurous and get mine medium. It was absolutely beautiful-pinkish in the middle but *not* red or raw looking and it was really tender and full of flavour.
    So after that I decided I'd get it medium from now on.

However two weeks ago I was in a steakhouse in Dublin and asked for my steak to be medium. It came looking more rare than anything else.
    I decided I'd taste it; sure it wasn't gonna kill me, but the actual taste of the blood and the rubbery texture put me off.
    I'll stick to well done in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

fussyonion wrote: »
    However two weeks ago I was in a steakhouse in Dublin and asked for my steak to be medium. It came looking more rare than anything else.
    I decided I'd taste it; sure it wasn't gonna kill me, but the actual taste of the blood and the rubbery texture put me off.

That's as much a function of the meat as it is how it was cooked.

The better quality the meat and the more tender it is, the less it needs to be cooked.

In restaurants they use the worst cuts for medium-well done (because it goes like a wrecking ball to the flavour and texture regardless what meat you use so there's no point in wasting good meat) and the best cuts kinda stand up by themselves and don't really need much cooking.

I've had really really good quality meat just seared and it wasn't rubber or anything - it melted in my mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Well done. I can't stand meat which is bloody. Urgh.

• Advertisement

Well I used to always have it well done until last year when we went to Spain.

We went to a steakhouse and I thought I'd be adventurous and get mine medium. It was absolutely beautiful-pinkish in the middle but *not* red or raw looking and it was really tender and full of flavour.
    So after that I decided I'd get it medium from now on.

There is NO blood! It's water and myoglobin protein! Drives me nuts the way people (both "well done" and "rare is best" types) talk about there being blood1

summerskin wrote: »
    There is NO blood! It's water and myoglobin protein! Drives me nuts the way people (both "well done" and "rare is best" types) talk about there being blood1

I just call it juice, tasty tasty juice. Blood turns into a congealed mess long before any steaks are cut.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

Well done. I can't stand meat which is bloody. Urgh.

If you've ever had a nosebleed and accidentally swallowed your blood you'd know steak isn't served bloody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Blue.

And anything above medium-rare is an aberration and the deviants who ask for it as such ought to be culled.

But you liked medium!

• Advertisement
Advertisement