Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you like your steak cooked?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Some people can't eat it rare or even medium because it reminds them that what they are eating used to be alive. There people probably should not eat meat if they are uncomfortable with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

But what thickness of steak would give you that result?

An inch I'd say slightly over 3. It cooks surprisingly fast this way. Obviously leave it rest for 10 mins at least afterwards. As with everything steaky it's trial and error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

And anything above medium-rare is an aberration and the deviants who ask for it as such ought to be culled.
    Agreed, if the sheep can't talk back it's overdone in my eyes.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Gbear wrote: »
    The better quality the meat and the more tender it is, the less it needs to be cooked.

I wouldn't agree that tougher cuts are of inferior quality, they are often much more flavourful than tender cuts and with slow-cooking are every bit as succulent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Always have mine rare. All these sauces are unnecesary though IMO and are often used to mask poor quality or badly cooked meat. A well seasoned well cooked juicy steak should not need further embellishment.

+1 to that.

I love my steak rare and I wouldn't have it any other way. It's more tender and has better flavour to it. A searing hot pan is a must though, otherwise you'll only stew it and leave it tough on the outside and not as juicy on the inside.

It's funny how many people don't know how to cook steak properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I wouldn't agree that tougher cuts are of inferior quality, they are often much more flavourful than tender cuts and with slow-cooking are every bit as succulent.

Agreed, It's a case of choosing the cuts most suitable for the dish. In the case of steak though, the tough stuff is nasty. Stews or curries on the other hand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Seared on both sides, tender and juicy in the middle and rivers of blood running out of it! :P gotta love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

. It's homogenous, bland, dry.

mmmmmmmmmmm homogenous, bland, dry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

DazMarz wrote: »
    Seared on both sides, tender and juicy in the middle and rivers of blood running out of it! :P gotta love it!

AAAAAAARRRGHHHHHHHHHH! How many times?? There is no fecking blood!

Blue.

And anything above medium-rare is an aberration and the deviants who ask for it as such ought to be culled.

I like my steak rare. Otoh got to say that people ordering steak 'blue' get on my nerves. It's an affectation, seems to have come in with the celtic tiger and refused to disappear.

Nobody in France orders their steak blue, but someone seems to have figured that because the term technically exists then to be ultra sophisticated we've got to use it.

It also creates the spinal tap problem. we've made everything 1 louder, so when I order rare I don't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

I rad all your posts in Vincent Kartheiser's voice. Do you post them in his voice?
    Every single one. Always a hint of schnakiness lurking in the background.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

I like my steak rare. Otoh got to say that people ordering steak 'blue' get on my nerves. It's an affectation, seems to have come in with the celtic tiger and refused to disappear.

Nobody in France orders their steak blue, but someone seems to have figured that because the term technically exists then to be ultra sophisticated we've got to use it.

It also creates the spinal tap problem. we've made everything 1 louder, so when I order rare I don't get it.

Strange that, seeing as it was when i lived in France in the 90s I was introduced to steak cooked blue....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I like my steak cooked by a naked woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Once in a while, I like a blue steak. Mostly rare, but sometimes, that's just what I feel like. It's nice, it's different, and yes, I, like probably a lot of people, was first exposed to the concept in France, but hey, when I find a good thing, I don't care where it came from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

DazMarz wrote: »

Isn't that Ann Doyls Vag :confused:

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Nobody in France orders their steak blue.

Why must you tell lies?

The best way to do a steak for me?

As rare as can be - slapped on a near impossibly hot steak stone so it keeps cooking.

So you start off eating a rare steak and by the end you are eating a medium to well done one. Best of all possible steak worlds there!

And of course with a lobster on the side. Surf'n'turf all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

summerskin wrote: »
    AAAAAAARRRGHHHHHHHHHH! How many times?? There is no fecking blood!

Well whatever it is, the muscle fluid or whatever. It looks like blood and it's colloquial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

ScumLord wrote: »
    I like my steak cooked by a naked woman.

She's not so keen on the blisters caused by cooking a steak naked. That mistake was made once and once only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭_petulia_

medium rare

Why must you tell lies?

Not a lie just my own experience.

Saignant covers blue / rare as close as matters, that's the common word and what your typical French diner will say if he wants it cooked as little as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Well done.

Why anyone can criticise people who like their steak well done when it is a matter of personal taste is beyond me.

Nobody only me knows how my steak tastes.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

There is no steak to be had in my house until we stop incinerating all the taste out of meat. Not on my watch, no sirree. I'd rather go without :mad:.

Yeah you heard me (Honey-Sweetpea-Sugarplum-that-I-love-so-much) !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

"Dry as a bone"

I get some looks from waiters when I say it to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

Valetta wrote: »
    Well done.

Why anyone can criticise people who like their steak well done when it is a matter of personal taste is beyond me.

Nobody only me knows how my steak tastes.

Have you ever tasted medium rare?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I haven't a clue how to cook them to perfection but I don't want to see a bit of blood in any of my meat.

I cook the shít out of it

@summerskin I'm just gonna be ignorant and call it blood, so relax your self. If someone sees red liquid coming from raw meat, they think it's blood because they don't know the ins and outs of it all. The only liquid I want to see is gravy

Gauss wrote: »
    Have you ever tasted medium rare?

Yes, and I don't like it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

Valetta wrote: »

Yes, and I don't like it.

Maybe is was a bad cut, try again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

functioning, on the animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I haven't a clue how to cook them to perfection but I don't want to see a bit of blood in any of my meat.

I cook the shít out of it

You do realise summerskin will bust a blood vessel reading your post :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I like a steak to be waved in a warm room for a moment and then served up to me......rare! :D

Gauss wrote: »
    Maybe is was a bad cut, try again.

No thanks. No point in wasting good food just to prove a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Blue. I used to order it rare and it never came rare. So after my order was taken I used to say "no really...rare!" for emphasis. Now I order blue. Just to be on the safe side :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

To my mind nothing is more important than the quality of meat.

Few tips.

1. Stop buying your meat in Supermarkets.
    2. Stop buying your meat in Supermarkets.
    2. Avoid bright red steaks, meat unlike fish, is not at it's best when freshly slaughtered. It needs to age*. Look for a dark red steak with marbling of fat runing through the muscle. Ask the butcher about the meat - be grateful for traceability - nothing like that exists in the US. Get a dry aged steak if you can.
    3. Cook the steak appropriate to the cut of steak. Filet - blue/rare Sirloin - med rare - Ribeye med rare/medium. Round steak - in a slow cooker for nine hours.
    4. Round steak is not "steak" it is a cheap casserole cut. It's texture can only be improved by slow cooking or pounding the bejeezus out of it. Cube it and make a casserole.

*Preferably dry age over Himalayan Salt (Gordon Ramsey just installed a Himalayan Salt aging room in his restaurant in Las Vegas) buts lets be realistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Well if nothing else this thread has sorted out what I'm having for dinner tonight.

Still mooing if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Blue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Blue....
    Steak on the stone ftw. Had a lovely cut of fillet steak on the stone at the weekend, it was seared on the outside and the inside was warm but cool at the very centre.

Yummy

Of course washed down with a guinness or nice wine is also to be welcomed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

MadsL wrote: »

Few tips.

2. Avoid bright red steaks, meat unlike fish, is not at it's best when freshly slaughtered. It needs to age*. Look for a dark red steak with marbling of fat runing through the muscle. Ask the butcher about the meat - be grateful for traceability - nothing like that exists in the US. Get a dry aged steak if you can.
    3. Cook the steak appropriate to the cut of steak. Filet - blue/rare Sirloin - med rare - Ribeye med rare/medium. Round steak - in a slow cooker for nine hours.
    4. Round steak is not "steak" it is a cheap casserole cut. It's texture can only be improved by slow cooking or pounding the bejeezus out of it. Cube it and make a casserole.

*Preferably dry age over Himalayan Salt (Gordon Ramsey just installed a Himalayan Salt aging room in his restaurant in Las Vegas) buts lets be realistic.

My ham sandwich lunch is suddenly just not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

Blue, I love hearing dirty jokes when I'm eating steak :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

You do realise summerskin will bust a blood vessel reading your post :pac:

Once I don't see the blood, it's ok :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Medium rare is perfect also because I can rub my chips around all the juice and blood that comes out of it.

Nom nom nom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Medium-Rare, although I'll sometimes go up to Medium if eating abroad on the continent - especially France. Those Frenchies do know how to cook a decent steak!

To my eternal shame I used to be one of those crazy fools who preferred well-done steaks:o Never going back there again!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Burned to a cinder

anybody who likes it rare can fcuk off back to france.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

No blood!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Wafted towards the sun on a cloudy day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Medium rare - Cooked using loads of methods over the years but this video seems to give the best results consistently for how I like it cooked. (Pan seared, finished in oven)

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Crap.....just realised I forgot to take the steak out of the freezer.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Just a little pink in the middle, whatever that's called:o. Have a friend who eats it with the blood running out every time she cuts it. It's like the steak is still alive:eek:
    I'm really crap at cooking it though. So afraid of undercooking, I overcook it:(

MadsL wrote: »

Few tips.

Nothing wrong with supervalues steaks, I've had worse steaks from butchers and paid a lot more. Tesco on the other had have terrible steaks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

pmcmahon wrote: »
    Burned to a cinder

anybody who likes it rare can fcuk off back to france.

I'd love to fcuk off back to France. You seem to think it's a punishment :pac:

Advertisement