Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you like your steak cooked?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Malari wrote: »
    I'd love to fcuk off back to France. You seem to think it's a punishment :pac:

Mmmm rare. Yum. I'd love a nice steak now.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Rare to medium-rare. Never any more done.

There should NEVER be a sauce or gravy touching the steak when it's on a place, it should be on the side if I decide to dip.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Rare to medium-rare. Never any more done.

There should NEVER be a sauce or gravy touching the steak when it's on a place, it should be on the side if I decide to dip.

it should be well done and covered in jack daniels glaze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Medium.

Don't like the jellyness of rare.

• Advertisement

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Blue....
    Steak on the stone ftw. Had a lovely cut of fillet steak on the stone at the weekend, it was seared on the outside and the inside was warm but cool at the very centre.

This is what I am talking about!

Delicious it may have been but this isn't blue, blue is essentially a slab of raw, cold meat with a minuscule amount of cooking on the outside. It certainly isn't 'warm but cool at the very centre'.

tbh this steak sounds on the rare side of medium rare. We've got this crazy system now where if you want a rare steak you have to say 'blue' - all so people can sound clever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Well done for me.

Well done for me.

Give yourself a good pat on the back there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

This is what I am talking about!

Delicious it may have been but this isn't blue, blue is essentially a slab of raw, cold meat with a minuscule amount of cooking on the outside. It certainly isn't 'warm but cool at the very centre'.

tbh this steak sounds on the rare side of medium rare. We've got this crazy system now where if you want a rare steak you have to say 'blue' - all so people can sound clever.

Not really, it's so that people can get steak the way they want to eat it. Why do you think saying blue makes you sound clever? :confused: Room temperature rather than cold at the centre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

I'm amazed the amount of people who like it medium to rare. I love it cooked (no signs of pink)...just cooked. Not to forget, when its cooked with loads of onions..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

A good steak should be cooked to the level to which a good vet could have it mooing again.

Rare or blue for me

A good steak should be cooked to the level that the eater wants to eat it.

Medium for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

The correct answer is ^ above

you dont know what you are missing, no point in wasting good steak by doing it well

What you people don't seem to understand or accept is that it's not wasted if it's eaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭horsemaster

I like medium well, with a side of taters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I like it medium/well - well done is lovely if it's cooked properly. I know a great restaurant in West Cork that does amazing steaks and it doesn't matter whether they are cooked rare or well done - both are melt in the mouth, full of flavour

Not really, it's so that people can get steak the way they want to eat it. Why do you think saying blue makes you sound clever? :confused: Room temperature rather than cold at the centre?

Yes but we've got people ordering their steak 'blue', getting their steak 'rare' (based on that description) and the whole system breaks down.

Look me in the eye and tell me you don't know the type who makes a great song and dance about ordering their steak 'blue'. It's a curiously Irish thing and it came in with the celtic tiger.

The fact that the chefs of the city are serving up regular rare steaks when asked for 'blue' speaks volumes. Like I said - Spinal Tap all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Pherekydes wrote: »
    What you people don't seem to understand or accept is that it's not wasted if it's eaten.

It's wasted if it's not appreciated. And if it's cooked to the point where it needs to be drowned in sauce in order to taste it then it's not being appreciated.

This is what I don't get about people who order 'well done'.... why order steak at all? That's not being snobby but there are so many dishes and meats which taste so much better than steak does when it has been cooked all the way through. For what you're paying for steak it just seems like a huge waste. :confused: Get yourself a nice bit of lamb or pork chop or something tasty.

Yes but we've got people ordering their steak 'blue', getting their steak 'rare' (based on that description) and the whole system breaks down.

Look me in the eye and tell me you don't know the type who makes a great song and dance about ordering their steak 'blue'. It's a curiously Irish thing and it came in with the celtic tiger.

The fact that the chefs of the city are serving up regular rare steaks when asked for 'blue' speaks volumes. Like I said - Spinal Tap all over.

Well I would love to buck that trend but you pay a lot for a fillet steak in a restaurant and I'd rather just make sure it's cooked the way I like it. I don't make a song and dance about it. I've sent back steaks I ordered rare that have come medium. It's not nice having to wait while everyone else is already eating. To be honest if I say blue, it can come blue or it can come rare. I'm happy to eat it either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Beefy78 wrote: »
    It's wasted if it's not appreciated. And if it's cooked to the point where it needs to be drowned in sauce in order to taste it then it's not being appreciated.

This is what I don't get about people who order 'well done'.... why order steak at all? That's not being snobby but there are so many dishes and meats which taste so much better than steak does when it has been cooked all the way through. For what you're paying for steak it just seems like a huge waste. :confused:

I'm sorry but you are just wrong there - it is possible to get a very flavoursome steak cooked well done - there's nothing wrong with my taste buds believe me and I just hate people who bang on about only eating steak a certain way - nobody would eat it if there was no flavour from it surely?? I certainly don't have to 'drown it in sauce' in order for it to be tasty - I just happen to like pepper sauce:confused:

Well I would love to buck that trend but you pay a lot for a fillet steak in a restaurant and I'd rather just make sure it's cooked the way I like it. I don't make a song and dance about it. I've sent back steaks I ordered rare that have come medium. It's not nice having to wait while everyone else is already eating. To be honest if I say blue, it can come blue or it can come rare. I'm happy to eat it either way.

Well I can understand that position. I still don't like it though - I guess what annoys me is that a lot of places (even good places) just gravitate to medium-rare. So if you get around that by saying blue, fair enough. An irish solution to an irish problem.

Maybe I'm just being an idiot by refusing to join in.

• Advertisement

Well I can understand that position. I still don't like it though - I guess what annoys me is that a lot of places (even good places) just gravitate to medium-rare. So if you get around that by saying blue, fair enough. An irish solution to an irish problem.

Maybe I'm just being an idiot by refusing to join in.

:pac: Maybe I'll just continue to order blue and mention it to the waiting staff whenever it comes in rare, but eat it anyway. I see your point though, it's stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Blue actually refers to a very rare steak. So in order. If you're from France and ordering steak in Britain or Ireland I'd recommend going one rarer than your usual.

Tartare
    Blue
    Rare
    Medium Rare
    Medium
    Medium Well
    No taste buds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

pmcmahon wrote: »
    it should be well done and covered in jack daniels glaze.

If you are spending any more than 4 euro for that piece of meat you are wasting a bunch of money. It's grand enough to do sh1t meat to well done because it'll all taste the same anyway when well done. But Buying a quality piece of meat from a decent butcher you are simply ruining it.

Also, JD sauce is pretty sh1t. Have a bottle in my press for ages, couldn't stand it, but then I'm not a whiskey drinker.

I reserve to right to judge people who spend €13+ for a piece of meat and then cook it well done as complete and utter idiots. You're getting the same taste as a cheap piece of tesco pre-packaged at that doneness. You should be ashamed of yourself and may God play havoc with your soul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Blue actually refers to a very rare steak. So in order. If you're from France and ordering steak in Britain or Ireland I'd recommend going one rarer than your usual.

Tartare
    Blue
    Rare
    Medium Rare
    Medium
    Medium Well
    No taste buds

More snobbery.

Jimoslimos wrote: »

Tartare
    Blue
    Rare
    Medium Rare
    Medium
    Medium Well
    No taste buds

tartare is a dish, not a way to order steak.

tartare is a dish, not a way to order steak.
    Yeah yeah I know, just pointing out that blue should be the nearest thing to raw.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    It's wasted if it's not appreciated.

My wife eats her steak well done, and savours and appreciates every bite. She doesn't smother it in anything, either.

Who the **** is anyone to say who appreciates their food or not? It's the height of ignorance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Depends hugely on the cut

Also, some restaurants have a terrible interpretation of the standard cooking scale for steaks, generally over-estimating the time required

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Raw (French: cru)— Uncooked. Used in dishes like steak tartare, carpaccio, gored gored, tiger meat and kitfo.

Seared, Blue rare or very rare (French: bleu)— Cooked very quickly; the outside is seared, but the inside is usually cool and barely cooked.] The steak will be red on the inside and barely warmed. Sometimes asked for as "blood rare" or "bloody as hell".

In the United Kingdom sometimes asked for "still mooing", meaning so rare that the animal is alive. In the United States, this is also sometimes referred to as 'Black and Blue' or 'Pittsburgh Rare'. In Germany this is also known as "English Style or bloody". It is common for chefs to place the steak in an oven to warm the inside of the steak. This method generally means 'blue' steaks take longer to prepare than any other steak degree, as these require additional warming time prior to cooking.

Rare (French: saignant)— (52 °C (126 °F) core temperature) The outside is grey-brown, and the middle of the steak is fully red and slightly warm.

Medium rare (French: entre saignant et à point)— (55 °C (131 °F) core temperature) The steak will have a reddish-pink center. This is the standard degree of cooking at most steakhouses, unless specified otherwise.

Medium (French: à point, anglais) — (63 °C (145 °F) core temperature) The middle of the steak is hot and fully pink surrounding the center. The outside is grey-brown.

Medium well done (French: demi-anglais, entre à point et bien cuit)— (68 °C (154 °F) core temperature) The meat is lightly pink surrounding the center.
    Well done (French: bien cuit) — (73 °C (163 °F) and above core temperature) The meat is grey-brown in the center and slightly charred. In parts of England this is known as "German style".

Overcook (French: trop cuit) — (much more than 90 °C (194 °F) core temperature) The meat is blackened throughout and slightly crispy.

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    I'm sorry but you are just wrong there - it is possible to get a very flavoursome steak cooked well done - there's nothing wrong with my taste buds believe me and I just hate people who bang on about only eating steak a certain way - nobody would eat it if there was no flavour from it surely?? I certainly don't have to 'drown it in sauce' in order for it to be tasty - I just happen to like pepper sauce:confused:

Denial. It's sad.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Rare. I don't understand people taking a lovely piece of meat and then incinerating the life out of it, you may as well just start off with a really cheap cut and ruin that instead. Such a waste.

My wife eats her steak well done, and savours and appreciates every bite. She doesn't smother it in anything, either.

Who the **** is anyone to say who appreciates their food or not? It's the height of ignorance.

Cooking a delicious piece of meat to the point where pretty much all the taste has gone and then claiming to be appreciating it seems like the height of ignorance to me.

Either that or pure delusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭elchupanebrey

I like my steak cooked..... for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

The other view is actually the ignorant one but I'm not here to insult. When you cook a good piece of meat to well done you may as well have just used any cheap cut because they will taste more or less the same. I've no problem with someone eating it well done but I would say to them just buy a cheap cut because you will enjoy it just as much. If it's your money and you want to cremate a good piece of meat then fair enough. The taste thing btw is a science thing.
    The difference between an expensive piece of steak and a cheap one lies largely in the amount of intra-muscular fat. When cooked to between about 55C and 65C, this fat lubricates the fibres of the meat which makes prime steak incredibly tender compared to lesser cuts. However, when cooked to the 80C or so of well done steaks, all of the moisture and fat from within the muscle is squeezed out and you are left with equally tender steaks, that is, not at all. What this means is that people who eat well done meat are unable to appeciate the quality of the steak they are eating because all defining charecteristics have been cooked out.

Is this unsophisticated? Well, it depends on your own personal feeling. Do you think drinking high quality single malt whiskey straight is more sophisticated than drinking a cheap whiskey mixed into a cocktail? Do you think drinking lighter roasted coffee is better because you can distinguish more of the charecteristics of the bean? Is preferring sickly sweet wine to a fine bourdeux lacking in spohistication?

If the mark of a sophisticated palate is the ability to distingush subtle shades of quality and variation, then yes, ordering well done steak shows a lack of sophistication. But that doesn't neccesarily mean it's bad.

PS: If you ever order Wagyu/Kobe steak well done, I will fly over to your house, kick your ass and then make you eat 5 pounds of raw cow kidney to make up for it.

Many good chefs may even refuse to cook a steak well done and with good reason.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I was brought up in a house where steak was always cooked well done, never had it any other way for fear of making myself sick!

Until i grew up and a friend ordered a medium rare steak, tried it and have never looked back since. Its like a totally different meat..

If someones tried medium rare, or rare or medium and didn't like it, preferring well done, then fair enough! However, if you've only ever eaten it well done, you're really missing out and you can't really say steak is best well done!

• Advertisement

Ramsey on Well done steak.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

MadsL wrote: »
    2. Avoid bright red steaks, meat unlike fish, is not at it's best when freshly slaughtered. It needs to age*. Look for a dark red steak with marbling of fat runing through the muscle. Ask the butcher about the meat - be grateful for traceability - nothing like that exists in the US. Get a dry aged steak if you can.

Meat in the US is corn fed (and probably pumped full of hormones and ****e while they're at it). It doesn't need to age in the same way traditionally bred meat does.

It doesn't have as rich a flavour. Still grand.
    pmcmahon wrote: »
    Burned to a cinder

anybody who likes it rare can fcuk off back to france that place where they know how to cook things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

summerskin wrote: »
    There is NO blood! It's water and myoglobin protein! Drives me nuts the way people (both "well done" and "rare is best" types) talk about there being blood1

Erm right...calm down?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

Valetta wrote: »

More snobbery.

Do you also buy €300 bottles of wine and mix it with lemonade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

But you liked medium!

Yes and then I got another steak done medium and it was horrible so no, I will stick to "well done" in future. At least then I know where I stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭gidget

Well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

If you are spending any more than 4 euro for that piece of meat you are wasting a bunch of money. It's grand enough to do sh1t meat to well done because it'll all taste the same anyway when well done. But Buying a quality piece of meat from a decent butcher you are simply ruining it.

Also, JD sauce is pretty sh1t. Have a bottle in my press for ages, couldn't stand it, but then I'm not a whiskey drinker.

I reserve to right to judge people who spend €13+ for a piece of meat and then cook it well done as complete and utter idiots. You're getting the same taste as a cheap piece of tesco pre-packaged at that doneness. You should be ashamed of yourself and may God play havoc with your soul.

I like it. Although, there are a number of JD sauces that come in bottles, Honey, Original, BBQ.

The JD glaze though, tastes nothing like what comes in the bottles. It's sweeter, stickier, and is deadly with everything. I like it on ribs, and wings. On a good steak though, sauce should be on the side, and that includes gravy. I want to dip if I want to taste it, or I want to not dip if I want to enjoy the meat.

As for my steak? Cut the head and the legs off, wipe its arse, and throw it on a plate. :pac:

Not really, rare to medium is for me. Not a fan of blue, and anything over medium I don't like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

leahyl wrote: »

+1
    The kilinure chalets in athlone do the best steak in Ireland...I've had medium and well done steaks there......melt in the mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

So where's the best place to buy a good quality steak. Cheap too, I want the best of both worlds :)

I buy 4 or 5 sirloin steaks from Super Valu/Tesco per week, not huge ones, just the right amount for one person. Usually €3-4 each.

Whats so bad about supermarket steak?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

So where's the best place to buy a good quality steak. Cheap too, I want the best of both worlds :)

I buy 4 or 5 sirloin steaks from Super Valu/Tesco per week, not huge ones, just the right amount for one person. Usually €3-4 each.

It's the same as everything. Stuff sold cheaply and with minimum of hassle (€3 and on a shelf vs €10 from a butcher) sacrifices quality.

There's a difference between the plastic packet of steak you pick up on the aisle and getting some off a butcher in the supermarket. Supervalu near the Lough in Cork City have a decent butchers, for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Lidl/Aldi are surprisingly good for steak. The Angus is cheap enough, and devine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Gauss wrote: »

Do you also buy €300 bottles of wine and mix it with lemonade?

I don't like wine at all. Have tried many different types but just don't like it.

Again, personal taste.

Gbear wrote: »
    It's the same as everything. Stuff sold cheaply and with minimum of hassle (€3 and on a shelf vs €10 from a butcher) sacrifices quality.

There's a difference between the plastic packet of steak you pick up on the aisle and getting some off a butcher in the supermarket. Supervalu near the Lough in Cork City have a decent butchers, for example.

Have to say the Specially Selected Angus range from Aldi is amazing but then it's usually around €7-8 a steak so almost as expensive as a good butcher.

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/product_range/product_range_14797.htm

Opr

More snobbery.
    Yeah guilty as charged. Think I'd rather go vegetarian than eat overcooked steak.:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

I don't like wine at all. Have tried many different types but just don't like it.

Again, personal taste.

And what would you think of someone who mixed expensive wine with lemonade?

• Advertisement
Advertisement