Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you like your steak cooked?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭reeb

leahyl wrote: »
    Of course you wouldn't - sushi is raw fish....

Steak, however can be cooked in a variety of ways

That's a pretty bad comparison

Fish, I think you'll find, can be consumed in a number of ways also, from raw to overcooked. Would you order a kitchen to double the cooking time and temperature of a delicious fresh caught grilled sea bass? No? Why not?

Its cute that you have an opinion on how meat should be prepared and cooked. It just happens to be entirely wrong. Your opinion is not automatically as valid as a classically trained French chef or a traditional butcher just because you have one.

Do you go around arguing with Physicists that your 'opinions' on string theory are as valid as theirs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,470 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I like my food cooked so no steak for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

reeb wrote: »
    You are wrong. There is a correct way to cook high quality meat. It is a science. Every single classically trained chef will tell you the same.

You wouldn't go into a sushi restaurant I'm Tokyo and demand your sashimi cooked well done. Well maybe YOU would.

Stick to the frozen chicken nuggets and tomato sauce love

Yeah but, no but, yeah but.....they are the customer and can ask for it any way they like. Cash is king. Our opinion is irrelevant at the end of the day or the opinion of the waiter, chef, porter, or manager.

So as a chef i get that every second on the griddle this meat is shrinking faster than Dawn Frenches waistline. What will my going out to the table acchieve? I will embarrass the customer in front of all her guests.

You offer a service, as such you cant dare to question the customer. They ask for it "cremated" FFS. What are you to do? Smile and fire that baby up!

A well done steak should not be not burnt. I just think people have this notion in their heads that a well done steak is burnt. It is not. It simply means there is no trace of blood in it. To acchieve this it takes a longer time to cook that it true, being Irish we expect it in 5 minutes flat and hence a well done steak = a burnt steak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I usually eat it in the car on the way home from the butchers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Fish, I think you'll find, can be consumed in a number of ways also, from raw to overcooked. Would you order a kitchen to double the cooking time and temperature of a delicious fresh caught grilled sea bass? No? Why not?

Its cute that you have an opinion on how meat should be prepared and cooked. It just happens to be entirely wrong. Your opinion is not automatically as valid as a classically trained French chef or a traditional butcher just because you have one.

Do you go around arguing with Physicists that your 'opinions' on string theory are as valid as theirs?

Once again I never said anyones opinion was wrong and I don't think mine is either - it's all a matter of taste for the individual.

Yes I know that fish can be consumed in a number of ways but the original post referred to sushi which is raw fish exclusively is it not?

Please stop being so condescending with your "cute" - I love my food as much as the next person and take great pleasure in eating out in nice restaurants - they may not be of the "top class" variety with no salt and pepper and for that I sincerely apologise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

I usually eat it in the car on the way home from the butchers.

Savage.

:pac::P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Lulz at the pretentious, sanctimonious dullards who have congregated on the thread though. :)

Well here's some more grist for your mill ;)
    Of course you wouldn't - sushi is raw fish....
    sushi which is raw fish exclusively is it not?

Sushi is NOT raw fish.

Sashimi is raw fish (except for Saba - salt cured Mackerel)

Sushi is cooked rice combined with other ingredients including raw fish.

/snob

MadsL wrote: »

Well here's some more grist for your mill ;)

Sushi is NOT raw fish.

Sashimi is raw fish (except for Saba - salt cured Mackerel)

Sushi is cooked rice combined with other ingredients including raw fish.

/snob

WOW... *bows to the master :-P

WOW... *bows to the master :-P

Out of interest, do you eat sashimi?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

wipe its arse and put it on a plate :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What else would you do with it? Wear it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Jesus...there's some real **** bags on here...
    Get over yourselves.....

I eat smoked salmon that's it. Wouldn't touch any other kind of sushi or sashimi with a barge pole! Texture is horrible. I like the smokiness of the smoked salmon ;-)

I eat smoked salmon that's it. Wouldn't touch any other kind of sushi or sashimi with a barge pole! Texture is horrible. I like the smokiness of the smoked salmon ;-)

What fish have you tried and not liked?

What fish have you tried and not liked?

Cooked or raw now? I haven't tried sushi - the look and smell make me gag - texture looks chewy!!

Not a big fish person in general but would eat cod, salmon, smoked haddock The odd time

Cooked or raw now? I haven't tried sushi - the look and smell make me gag - texture looks chewy!!

Not a big fish person in general but would eat cod, salmon, smoked haddock The odd time

I rest my case. You have no sense of taste or adventure in food. You persist in attacking others for trying to educate you, but aren't even prepared to taste new foods or ways of preparing food. I suspect you were picky as a child and had nonsense thrown at you about "cooking food properly".

Yes I'm a food snob, good food is too good to spoil by ruining it.

I'm probably a wankbag too.

I rest my case. You have no sense of taste or adventure in food. You persist in attacking others for trying to educate you, but aren't even prepared to taste new foods or ways of preparing food. I suspect you were picky as a child and had nonsense thrown at you about "cooking food properly".

Yes I'm a food snob, good food is too good to spoil by ruining it.

I'm probably a wankbag too.

Oh here we go again, I knew exactly where you were going with this - So now I have no sense of taste or adventure in food because I'm not much of a fish eater and haven't tried sushi??

I didn't call anybody a wankbag in my posts but after that post I'm beginning to think whoever did isn't far wrong.

You must love every kind of food so? Good for you I'm delighted

Oh and the last thing I was as a child was picky - I ate most food that was given to me, it was just ordinary good wholesome food and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that and I have no problem trying new things once the sight if it doesn't turn my stomach to begin with

I love my food as much as the next person and take great pleasure in eating out in nice restaurants
    They'll be out in every country hotel in Ireland tonight, agonising over whether to have the prawn cocktail or the tomato soup for a starter, quaffing blue nun and sawing through their sirloins swimming in knorr pepper sauce with trifle for afters.

Everyone else is a snob mind.

Oh here we go again, I knew exactly where you were going with this - So now I have no sense of taste or adventure in food because I'm not much of a fish eater and haven't tried sushi??

I didn't call anybody a wankbag in my posts but after that post I'm beginning to think whoever did isn't far wrong.

You must love every kind of food so? Good for you I'm delighted

I'm sorry, I am being an arse. But you kind of deserve it - opining on steak when you cannot tell the difference between rump and round steak. And attacking a poster with barbs about your dead uncle like he knew him. Then opining on sushi when you know nothing about sushi, and making sarky comments like "Wow, bow to the master" when you are corrected.

Sorry if it offends, but I think you really are not exactly in a position to lecture about food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

i like my steak cooked beside my other steak

I'm sorry, I am being an arse. But you kind of deserve it - opining on steak when you cannot tell the difference between rump and round steak. And attacking a poster with barbs about your dead uncle like he knew him. Then bringing up sushi when you know nothing about sushi, and making sarky comments like "Wow, bow to the master" when you are corrected.

Sorry if it offends, but I think you really are not exactly in a position to lecture about food.

I was messing with the master comment - I had a smiley face next to it - might not have come out since I'm on iPhone

I never came on here claiming to know everything about food but I'm not thick either and I know what I like and don't like, I love cooking and just reading through cookbooks and picking up tips etc but I just don't agree with the whole "steak must be done rare or else you must know nothing about food"

The comment that he made was just hurtful about my uncle but I agree bringing in the fact that he was dead was unnecessary but I don't think anyone deserves to be referred to as a knob just because of their preference for how a steak is cooked and not liking being told condescedingly how it "should be" cooked by a chef when they are the one paying for it and eating it.

And I didn't bring up the sushi - look back on the posts

Hope this clears things up - unfortunately a lot of the time when you give an opinion on this site people just don't want to entertain anything different from their opinion.

I have no problem with people eating their steak rare or whatever - it doesn't matter to me in the slightest but Im still gonna eat mine medium/well!!

I was messing with the master comment - I had a smiley face next to it - might not have come out since I'm on iPhone

Putting : plus whatever 'smiley' does not mean you can distance yourself from what you said. The sarkyness still comes across.
    I never came on here claiming to know everything about food but I'm not thick either and I know what I like and don't like, I love cooking and just reading through cookbooks and picking up tips etc

But if someone corrects you rather than thanking them you get all sarky?
    but I just don't agree with the whole "steak must be done rare or else you must know nothing about food"
    That's not what is being argued. Cremating a steak shows utter disrepect for the animal in my view and I would encourage anyone who does that to back off with the flamethrower just for the sake of their taste buds.
    But there is nothing wrong with a medium steak.
    I'd send a "well done' just over medium but no further. Otherwise you utterly ruin any flavour.
    The comment that he made was just hurtful about my uncle but I agree bringing in the fact that he was dead was unnecessary
    Yes, an apology owed there I think.
    but I don't think anyone deserves to be referred to as a knob just because of their preference for how a steak is cooked and not liking being told condescedingly how it "should be" cooked by a chef when they are the one paying for it and eating it.
    I disagree, the chef is the professional. But then I used to go to hairdresser and when asked "how do you want it cut" I'd say "what am I paying you to make me look good for? Cut it the way you think suits me best"
    And I didn't bring up the sushi - look back on the posts
    Apologies - and corrected above.
    Hope this clears things up - unfortunately a lot of the time when you give an opinion on this site people just don't want to entertain anything different from their opinion.
    Works both ways.
    I have no problem with people eating their steak rare or whatever - it doesn't matter to me in the slightest but Im still gonna eat mine medium/well!!

Try it. Have someone cook two steaks - cremate one to "well done" and cook the other medium. Try a blind taste test, then tell me Well Done is just as tasty.

As for sushi and sashimi, you really don't know what you are missing. Try a California Roll sometime - no raw fish, good starter sushi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Putting : plus whatever 'smiley' does not mean you can distance yourself from what you said. The sarkyness still comes across.

That's not what is being argued. Cremating a steak shows utter disrepect for the animal in my view and I would encourage anyone who does that to back off with the flamethrower just for the sake of their taste buds.
    I'd send a "well done' just over medium but no further. Otherwise you utterly ruin any flavour.

I disagree, the chef is the professional. But then I used to go to hairdresser and when asked "how do you want it cut" I'd say "what am I paying you to make me look good for? Cut it the way you think suits me best"

Works both ways.

Try it. Have someone cook two steaks - cremate one to "well done" and cook the other medium. Try a blind taste test, then tell me Well Done is just as tasty.

As for sushi and sashimi, you really don't know what you are missing. Try a California Roll sometime - no raw fish, good starter sushi.
    Well done does not mean cremated....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Just show a picture of a fire to the cow before it's killed. Then season it with the tears of its family. Now that's good eatin'.

Well done does not mean cremated....
    Compared to how I eat mine it does, nothing leaves my kitchen over medium +a minute or two in deference to a request for well done.

• Advertisement

Works both ways.

I'm just saying one more thing and then I'm done - my steak has never been 'cremated' when it's well done - not ime anyway. The nicest steak I've ever had is in a place called Willie Pa's ( doesn't sound fancy I know) just outside Bantry and it's always been well done and absolutely melt in the mouth and full of flavour.(we travel
    down from Cork City on special occasions just for the food - it's so good)

Also I wasn't been sarky at all so sorry if you took it up that way. I was just trying to make it a bit lighthearted.

Im gonna take you up on your challenge and try it medium but if I see any blood coming out of it then that's it!

Not sure about the sushi...!

What are you wasting your time for? You are dealing with someone who will happily tell you they dont eat sashimi because of the texture, yet theyve never tried sashimi, well except for smoked salmon which they like. ??!

How you want high quality beef cooked is a matter of opinion, where everyones opinion from some ignoramous who eats frozen garbage all week is exactly equal and the same as a top chefs. Yet this does not apply to any other food, where the kitchen is expected to deliver a dish cooked optimally. ??!

What are you wasting your time for? You are dealing with someone who will happily tell you they dont eat sashimi because of the texture, yet theyve never tried sashimi, well except for smoked salmon which they like. ??!

How you want high quality beef cooked is a matter of opinion, where everyones opinion from some ignoramous who eats frozen garbage all week is exactly equal and the same as a top chefs. Yet this does not apply to any other food, where the kitchen is expected to deliver a dish cooked optimally. ??!

I think people are becoming a lot more educated about food though, a while ago it would be unusual to be asked how you like your lamb. And serving it pink would have got it sent back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

I always like mine well done. A good shake of aromat over it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

...some ignoramous who eats frozen garbage all week...

This kind of fuckwittery has no place on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

I like mine well done. Medium is fine too. Im still going to eat it with ketchup or honey mustard. inb4 100 people who cant accept other peoples tastes and have to make themselves higher than everyone with their superiority complex jump down my throat.

Pherekydes wrote: »

:D

Sweet títtifying Christ, shouldint Gordon be shot.

Everyone is a fúcking expert now.

Back to your turkey twizzlers, peasant

robman60 wrote: »

Aromat is MSG. It would make cardboard taste good.

themadchef wrote: »
    :D

Sweet títtifying Christ, shouldint Gordon be shot.

Everyone is a fúcking expert now.

Who's claiming to be an expert? Not me. I'm just objecting to the guy claiming that people who like their steak done well are eating frozen garbage all week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

I like it well done, brown the whole way through, none of that rotten soft texture stuff. I like to have to eat it and taste it, if it's too rare it's too soft for me. I like the outside crispy bit of a roast the best too. I don't like mashed potatoes either. Hard food is best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Medium-well done.

Aromat is MSG. It would make cardboard taste good.

To clarify:

Aromat contains MSG

It is not itself MSG...

The main ingredient being Iodized salt.

Who's claiming to be an expert? Not me. I'm just objecting to the guy claiming that people who like their steak done well are eating frozen garbage all week.

Hey, im agreeing with you man....

Pass the ketchup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I'ld like mine very well done thanks.
    I've watched wayy too many videos of people getting parasitic and other infections from undercooked meat.

And I like the black crispy bits too...

• Advertisement

Id say people who eat steak well done are more likely to make other poor food choices, yes. Well done steak is full of carginogens. Eating lots of well done meat significantly increases your chances of developing cancer.

http://www.coreperformance.com/daily/nutrition/a-warning-on-well-done-meat.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Well done!! Love a good massive steak!

Keep your potatoes, chips and veg..just give me a 20oz steak and Ill be happy :D

Id say people who eat steak well done are more likely to make other poor food choices, yes. Well done steak is full of carginogens. Eating lots of well done meat significantly increases your chances of developing cancer.

http://www.coreperformance.com/daily/nutrition/a-warning-on-well-done-meat.html

That link alludes to charred meat. Nobody in this house eats charred meat. They do, however, eat plenty of fresh veg of all hues with their seldom-eaten red meat. And f all frozen garbage.

Food Nazis: always jumping to extreme conclusions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

themadchef wrote: »
    The same steak?

If a steak come back because customer isint happy with how it's cooked you have 2 choices:

A: If its under cooked, fire it up again, but imo it's only right if caught instantly by the customer, it's a nice customer who will accept it.

B:Over cooked. New steak, no other option. You need to stand over that fúcking steak till it's ready as you have already blown the profit.

To send a steak back 5 times? WTF were they doing in the kitchen to that steak? :confused:

If a customer said it was overcooked the second time, i'd have refused to cook a third steak or told him to go vegetarian. :D

5 times is taking the píss by anyones standards.

No, five different steaks. He made the point that because they were overdone they'd have to get him a fresh steak each time. He also cut them in half so that the steaks couldn't be served to anyone else.

I think it was 5% legitimate complaint and 95% him being a dick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Cooked enough to a point which requires some manly, precise wrist thrusting with a knife for red meat.

Bitta juice, but not much, we're not eating watermelons here after all.

Medium to a bit well done.

That link alludes to charred meat. Nobody in this house eats charred meat. They do, however, eat plenty of fresh veg of all hues with their seldom-eaten red meat. And f all frozen garbage.

Food Nazis: always jumping to extreme conclusions.
    Make sure you cook all your veg well done too, cant have all those nutrients in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

This thread is making me hungry for steak. Tomorrow I'm going to get a big thick marbley fillet stake and cook it nice and rare with a few spuds. Uh I can't f*ckin wait.

And its not a matter of opinion. High quality cuts of beef are better when cooked medium-rare. If you only like burnt meat then don't bother wasting your money on expensive steaks. You might as well go for the cheap cut.

I know for a fact that in restaurants I've been to in France if you order a fillet steak well cooked you are getting a ****ty cut of meat because they know you haven't a clue so they are going to charge you full whack for a sh!t cut and keep the good stuff for proper customers because they know you don't know the difference and you'll think its the business just because you paid a lot for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Pull out the horns, wipe it's ass. And put it on a plate.

robman60 wrote: »

I love the logic here; cook the flavour out of it, then add MSG to make it taste better.

• Advertisement

Make sure you cook all your veg well done too, cant have all those nutrients in there

Thanks for proving my point.

Advertisement