Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security on main entrance door to apartment building

Options
  • 25-10-2012 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering, just moved into an apartment building, but there is no lock on the main entrance to the building, so everybody can just walk in.

It looks like there used to be a lock though, but has since been removed. ( I didn't notice when we were viewing the apartment)

What are your thoughts on this? I raised it with the Agent, but they are saying that no locks will be fitted.

I don't feel particularly safe - anybody could be hiding in the hallway...

I tried to find more info on the net, but couldn't find anything in relation to that.

Anybody got any info on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

What kind of area is it? I had a similar problem in a somwhat troubled area shall we say, and our building became party central for all the local kids who wanted somewhere dry to knacker drink, as well as cause some fairly substantial damage to the building (fire alarms repeatedly set off, all the fire extinguishers set off in the halls etc). Took the management company a long time to fix the problem (by which time my patience had long since run out and I had left).

In my current place there is a security lock on the door, but to be honest it wouldnt bother me in the slightest if there wasnt as Ive almost never seen anyone near the building who shouldnt have been there.

If its a concern of yours and the management company do not seem bothered about fixing the issue then the best advice I can give you is to seriously condering leaving. A management company who is not concerned about security is probably one that doesnt care about much, and chances are your living experience in this place is not going to be fantastic...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Do you own or rent?

If you own, you need to bring more pressure on the management company, via the agent. Standard would be fob access with magnetic locks. Older buildings might have a key access. While it would be easy enough to get into any building where a couple of 100 people lived, having no lock is unacceptable. Without wanting to get into the *standard lecture* on this board, long term it is worth your while getting involved with the management company and even becoming a director.

If you are a renter - bring it up with your landlord and make the point that you do not feel secure and will consider moving if something cannot be done about it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Price the installation of a lock that is opened on the outside by a key fob, and by the inside with a button (has to be button, in case of fire, I think). Also include the price of X key fobs, where X equals the number of apartments. Said key fob may also be tied to the gate, if it's a gated complex, and/or said door fob may be able to be added to existing key fob if everyone has a gate fob.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Tenants who own units there ,should be asking the management company to fit a lock.
    Every tenant pays at least 1k service fees, i thought a lock would be required for insurance purposes.
    MAYBE original lock was broken.
    its also up to you to check security before you move in somewhere ,ie buyer beware.
    i,ve never seen an apartment with no lock on the front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

riclad wrote: »
    i,ve never seen an apartment with no lock on the front door.

There are plenty out there, but from my experience it is often a sign of deeper problems with the management company and/or management agent (if one exists at all). Having been in that position before, its now one of the first things I will look for and will run a mile from a place that has issues such as broken security doors.

• Advertisement
Advertisement