Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad bought last week return/upgrade

• 25-10-2012 12:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭

My dad purchased an iPad 3 last week directly from Apple, and I'm wondering if there is any chance of them taking it back and upgrading him to the newer model announced this week? I've heard of this happening in the US, anyone know what the situation is here? One fly in the ointment is that he got it engraved.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

My dad purchased an iPad 3 last week directly from Apple, and I'm wondering if there is any chance of them taking it back and upgrading him to the newer model announced this week? I've heard of this happening in the US, anyone know what the situation is here? One fly in the ointment is that he got it engraved.

They should, besides he has 14 days to return it for a refund and purchase the new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

mad muffin wrote: »
    They should, besides he has 14 days to return it for a refund and purchase the new one.

not with an engraving he doesn't

not with an engraving he doesn't

I don't know how I missed that :o

mad muffin wrote: »
    I don't know how I missed that :o

ah it was very well hidden at the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Under consumer rights, don't you have a period (30 days?) within which you can change your mind? I'm not sure how the engraving would affect that.

Our company just bought about 20 of the things 2 weeks ago, some very pissed off people.

• Advertisement

ah it was very well hidden at the end

I suppose it helps to read to the very end of a post. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭brianhickey

I rang them and they said they would take it back as long as it was within 14 days of the delivery, engraved or not! Pity they put the price up, I'm now having a hard time convincing him that it is worth the bother, €30 extra for the iPad and he will have to pay to ship it back as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

who_me wrote: »
    Under consumer rights, don't you have a period (30 days?) within which you can change your mind? I'm not sure how the engraving would affect that.

Distance selling rules state 7 days, and specifically excludes personalized items (i.e. engraving):
    EU wrote:
    1. For any distance contract the consumer shall have a period of at least seven working days in which to withdraw from the contract without penalty and without giving any reason. The only charge that may be made to the consumer because of the exercise of his right of withdrawal is the direct cost of returning the goods.
    3. Unless the parties have agreed otherwise, the consumer may not exercise the right of withdrawal provided for in paragraph 1 in respect of contracts: <...> for the supply of goods made to the consumer's specifications or clearly personalized or which, by reason of their nature, cannot be returned or are liable to deteriorate or expire rapidly

OP - nice of Apple to let you return the item; there's no requirement for them to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

who_me wrote: »

Our company just bought about 20 of the things 2 weeks ago, some very pissed off people.

Your company should have been aware that there was an Apple event coming up bringing out new & updated products. You don't buy 20 iPad's when there was a possibility they would be updated two weeks later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I rang them and they said they would take it back as long as it was within 14 days of the delivery, engraved or not! Pity they put the price up, I'm now having a hard time convincing him that it is worth the bother, €30 extra for the iPad and he will have to pay to ship it back as well.

Having an iPad with the latest connecter is a wise move. It's worth the extra money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Ordered an iPad 3 the day before the new launch (had no idea it was even on!)

Got an email from Apple today saying they've automatically upgraded it to the new version as it hasn't been shipped yet. No mention of money so presumably it's for the same price.

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Ordered an iPad 3 the day before the new launch (had no idea it was even on!)

Got an email from Apple today saying they've automatically upgraded it to the new version as it hasn't been shipped yet. No mention of money so presumably it's for the same price.

I must be missing something here, The Ipad 3 is a more powerful and expensive tablet, It's not really an upgrade if they're sending you a mini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

I must be missing something here, The Ipad 3 is a more powerful and expensive tablet, It's not really an upgrade if they're sending you a mini

There's the iPad4 now (or "fourth generation iPad").

Twice as fast as the iPad3 (allegedly), and uses the new lightning connector

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Its not a mini, its the new new ipad

There's the iPad4 now (or "fourth generation iPad").

Twice as fast as the iPad3 (allegedly), and uses the new lightning connector

:mad: I did not know that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Having an iPad with the latest connecter is a wise move. It's worth the extra money.
    wha?

I'd say having an old ipad with the old connector could save you money depending on how many accessories you already have.

For me the biggest selling point of the iphone 4gs is the fact it still DOESNT have the new fangled (uncompatible) socket, and the old ipad range would be the same

wait a minute, so where is the ipad 3 gone?, no mention of it on the apple site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

wait a minute, so where is the ipad 3 gone?, no mention of it on the apple site
    there is no such thing as an "ipad 3" and was never one

it was always called the new Ipad, and now its just newer and and now uncompatible with your existing accessories, but the name hasnt changed

there is no such thing as an "ipad 3" and was never one

it was always called the new Ipad, and now its just newer and and now uncompatible with your existing accessories, but the name hasnt changed

It's times like this i wish i was a fandroid

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The iPad 3 can still be bought via the refurb store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Your company should have been aware that there was an Apple event coming up bringing out new & updated products. You don't buy 20 iPad's when there was a possibility they would be updated two weeks later.

No one suspected an ipad update...It's unheard of Apple to release an updated version 6 months only after launching previous ipads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

In fairness though, nobody expected this. Particularly with the much hyped mini launch.

Edit: just seen I quoted blazer, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Sarn

Blazer wrote: »
    No one suspected an ipad update...It's unheard of Apple to release an updated version 6 months only after launching previous ipads.

I didn't see it coming but...'iPad 4' Headed for October Launch with iPad 3 as Interim Upgrade?

There are always so many rumours floating around that this one just dropped off the radar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

This was the second or third year in a row that same rumour had come up. I guess it was bound to come true sooner or later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Can people call it the iPad 1st 2nd 3rd Gen etc... There is no such thing as the iPad 3!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement