Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP Startup Problem

Options
  • 25-10-2012 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

I have an XP Pro PC that will not start Windows. It gets to the Advanced startup screen where you can choose from the list of Safe mode, Last known good configuration etc but when I choose Safe Mode option it attempts to proceed but hangs at what looks like an AVG driver. If I go ahead to try "Start Normally" or "Last known good configuration" ir blue screens.

The machine is not mine so I don't know its history other than it looks like it has AVG on it & it seems to be causing the startup fail?

If I caddy the drive is there any way to disable AVG from attempting to start or even remove it altogether?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You could try changing the folder name of AVG within Program Files with the disk mounted in a caddy. Maybe a Live Linux CD could do it too, but I think they usually mount local disk as readonly, so you'd have to fiddle with that. Another option might be using Regedit on a remote registry file.

All at your own risk of course !

There used to be a startup option to allow you to confirm the items 1 by 1 as it started, but it seems from a quick google that disappeared after Win98.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

God damn it, I found THIS and thought I was away.......

It allowed me to do all that was suggested but now the machine hangs on Mup.sys

GRrrr!

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

There's a few suggestions in results on the 1st page if you google Mup.sys:
    check filesize of Mup.sys/copy from a machine with same Xp SP
    check PSU
    get rid of DaemonTools if you have it
    boot Xp CD->Recovery console->sfc /scannow

Good luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

im guessing you have your own pc, so why not try plug the affected computers hard drive into yours and delete any reference to avg. then you *should* not have a problem.

do you know if theres any other anti virus software installed on it?

Advertisement