Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I obtain a Tax File Number from Ireland?

Options
  • 25-10-2012 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Going to Melbourne in February and I am looking to do as much of this admin type stuff as I can before I go.

I have got my WHV granted already and I have opened a bank account with ANZ.

Can I also obtain my TFN whilst I am still in Ireland or do I have to wait until I land in Australia before I can get it?

I checked out the website and I am still unclear as to whether or not I can obtain it before I go

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Going to Melbourne in February and I am looking to do as much of this admin type stuff as I can before I go.

I have got my WHV granted already and I have opened a bank account with ANZ.

Can I also obtain my TFN whilst I am still in Ireland or do I have to wait until I land in Australia before I can get it?

I checked out the website and I am still unclear as to whether or not I can obtain it before I go

No, not while in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 eoindoyle_syd

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.aspx?menuid=0&doc=/content/00229875.htm&page=7#P157_7545

You can only complete this application if you are a permanent migrant or temporary visitor who is actually in Australia.
    You must also be either:

• a working holiday-maker
    • a New Zealander and you are automatically granted a visa on arrival
    • an overseas student and your visa has been amended to allow you to work
    • a person with a valid visa allowing you to stay in Australia indefinitely
    • a person with a business visa.

If you are a permanent migrant or temporary visitor to Australia and you apply for a TFN online, your TFN will be sent to the Australian address you provided on your application. You will generally receive notification within 10 working days; however, we may take up to 28 days to process your application.

Basically you need an Australian address before you apply and need to be in the country. Its pretty quick, done online directly from ATO website. Should arrive in less than two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

And they link to the visa so know if you're here

• Registered Users Posts: 18 thelatest001

Hey there folks, heading to Melbourne next week, just wondering should I apply for the tax file number online before I head, will I get it quicker that way? or is it all the one when I arrive in Oz, will I just it get in the taxation office. Similar question for the "setting up of a bank account" does it make any difference if I do it online now, or just call into them when I arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Hey there folks, heading to Melbourne next week, just wondering should I apply for the tax file number online before I head, will I get it quicker that way? or is it all the one when I arrive in Oz, will I just it get in the taxation office. Similar question for the "setting up of a bank account" does it make any difference if I do it online now, or just call into them when I arrive.

You pretty much can only apply for tax file number online, banks you can apply online but you must present yourself in person (for ID check) so probably just as easy to open in person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Hey there folks, heading to Melbourne next week, just wondering should I apply for the tax file number online before I head, will I get it quicker that way?

You can only apply for TFN when your visa is activated (crossing the border) and you are in the country.

hey thanks for that guys much appreciated. just hope to hit the ground running really ya know :)

which Australian bank is the best to go with, in terms of cheapest fees. I must set up a bank account when Im in Australia, just not sure which one to go with, Any recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

which Australian bank is the best to go with, in terms of cheapest fees. I must set up a bank account when Im in Australia, just not sure which one to go with, Any recommendations.

For regular banking, NAB were the best when I moved here two years ago, best interest rates, no fees etc. Unless some of the other ones passed them out, they're the best.

For high interest savings accounts, Ubank were the best (that's where I keep most of my money) but Rabo Direct have slightly better rates now so I've changed to them.

Id be looking for regular banking, must check them out, ok thanks for the info dude.

• Advertisement
Advertisement