Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenancy agreement

• 25-10-2012 12:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭

Found a tenant for a house I'm renting, just registered on the PTRB site etc.

How hard is it for me to get a tenancy agreement? Is it a standard issue kind of thing or do I need to get a solicitor to put one together for me? If so, what kind of cost am I looking at for that?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Spend a couple of bob, and get a solicitor to draw one up. Make sure there is a break clause (approx 6 months) in it.

Not sure of the cost here, but in the UK it's about £100 to get one drawn up. Shop around a few conveyancing/property solicitors to get an idea of cost.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Lots of websites have templates on them (irishlandlord.com for example). I'd suggest getting one from a landlord in good standing, and modifying it to suit your purposes. While its always good to get these things done officially in your solicitors office- its not necessary, and it is an additional expense- but the inverse of this is you seriously don't want to screw up either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Just one thing to bear in mind when writing up a lease is that you cannot put anything in there that goes against the tenants rights and expect it to be legally binding (Im not saying you would, but there seem to be a lot of landlords who try, be it intentionally or unintentionally). Even if you dont get a solicitor to draw up the lease for you (and that probably shouldnt be necessary) it might be worth getting someone who is familiar with tenancy law to look over it for you.

Advertisement