Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone made the move here from OZ?

• 25-10-2012 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭

My visa is up soon in a couple of months and I'm trying to decide whether to head to NZ or go home to Ireland. I've struggled finding work in Perth, I've a masters degree in business but little relevant work experience.

What's the main differences between Oz and NZ?

Which did you prefer and why?

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭20260622

Hiya :)

Myself and himself were in Oz for 2 years and headed over here as going home just wasn't (and unfortunately still isn't) an option with the economy the way it was (is).

The main differences we found are the weather & wages. It isn't nearly as hot in NZ and it rains...ALOT! If your thinking of heading to the South Island, prepare yourself for weather in the minuses in Winter :eek:
    The North Island is warmer but still not as hot as Oz and definitely nowhere near as hot as Perth. Aucklands winter is cold, spring can be extremely wet and quite windy, summer is awesome but again not as hot as Oz and autumn is relatively warm but can be wet too.

Wages are pretty crap compared to Oz. We're sending money home so the conversion rates were a huge shock to the system when we first arrived but we survived and continue to do so, although we are now both earning more then we were when we first arrived 2 years ago. If you don't have responsibilities back home, your laughing.

While I would go back to Oz in a heartbeat, there's alot of things I prefare about NZ. I find the Kiwi's a much friendlier nation than the Ozzies, they're very like the Irish in alot of ways, don't take themselves too seriously, like to have a bit of banter etc. There's lots of work in NZ, check out www.seek.co.nz, www.trademe.co.nz and while you may have to start off on a pretty low wage, most companies tend to have yearly salary reviews so you can work your way up.

There's no denying NZ is a beautiful country! When we first arrived, we bought a camper van and fit in as much as we could of the South Island over 6 weeks. Some parts down south are absolutely stunning, I can't count the times my breath was taken away.

Hope this has helped, fell free to PM me if you want anymore info.
    Best of luck with your decision, you certainly wont regret coming across the pond if that's what you decide to do ;)

Take Care :D

Advertisement