Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed Term Lease Tenants and Extra Person

Options
  • 25-10-2012 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I rented out my 3 bedroomed apartment to two girls (teacher and a nurse) and both their names are on a 12 month fixed term lease. They mentioned at the time that they might look at getting a third person in for the third bedroom which is really small and unfurnished - perhaps someone who only stays for a few nights during the week and who goes home at weekends.

I told them I would have no objection to this as long as I was kept informed and could meet the person, however I advised the tenants that they were my main tenants and as such, they were responsible for the rent. (I had rented the apartment as a whole property - not per room).

They've just text me to say that they have a person (another nurse) to move in next weekend and would I be able to furnish the room. No problems there but just wondering - am I correct in leaving the lease the way it is, with just my original tenant's names on it? Or should I be adding this extra person to the lease to cover myself? Should I get references, PPS number etc from this new person or leave it all in the hands of my tenants (who seem to be good responsible people)?

All advice welcome - thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I dont know how the law works but I'd imagine you should be able to vet the new person otherwise they could bring in a terrible human being.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Funnyonion79

I dont know how the law works but I'd imagine you should be able to vet the new person otherwise they could bring in a terrible human being.

Oh yes, of course I'm going to meet the new person and make sure she's ok. But am just wondering if I'm right to leave the lease the way it is and have my two tenants acting as kind of like a sub landlord for this new person....has anyone done this before? Are there any pitfalls I need to be aware of?

Advertisement