Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Support Irish Products

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

also farmers would have been the first lot to have done cash deals and avoid paying tax where possible and now when things are poor they play the "Do it for your country" card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

sfwcork wrote: »
    I went to college with a huge farmer who got a full college grant because land was not taken into consideration

Please dont play this farmers are poor or farmers get nothing card.For decades land counted on zero fronts and you were well able to take advantage of that

Taking the value of land into account would be like looking at a PAYE worker and taking the value of the machines in his factory into account.

Its well known and recognised by experts that farming is a high capital input, low profit business, arguing this with people who don't understand farming is like trying to teach a monkey to perform brain surgury, pointless!!

Farms could make more money if animal welfare were less to the forefront in Ireland as it is in some of the countries your cheap nasty chicken and pork imports come from.
    However the vast majority of Irish farmers want to keep animals in the best conditions, produce a premium product and get a fair price with no subsidies paid at all.
    I can't put my hands on the information right now but it has been published that up to 1/3 of Irish farms make no profit at all, I agree that it would be best if these farms were passed on to the next generation, sold on to profitable farmers or planted with trees.

Anyway..
    This thread is about buying Irish Goods not educating the ignorant on the economics of the agri business.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

9959 wrote: »
    Is farming 'the most important industry' in The Republic of Ireland?

Perhaps farming was the wrong word but yes, agriculture is Ireland's most important industry. It's one of the few industries that continued to grow and remain strong through the recession, it's our single largest export industry and as the main primary producer in the country its keeps us, y'know, alive n' stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

PC World aren't an Irish company & none of the products they produce are manufactured in Ireland.

I was 'lucky' to be able to find a pair of headphones that was made in Thailand instead of commie Chinese bastards.

Perhaps farming was the wrong word but yes, agriculture is Ireland's most important industry. It's one of the few industries that continued to grow and remain strong through the recession, it's our single largest export industry and as the main primary producer in the country its keeps us, y'know, alive n' stuff.

http://www.teagasc.ie/agrifood/

Agri-food accounts for 10% of all employment and 7% of GDP.
    Farming is the backbone of the agrifood sector, no farming = no agrifood sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Piliger wrote: »
    Unfortunately our education system doesn't enlighten people about how an economy really works, and the benefit to it of buying Irish. Also there will always be some people who really have no loyalty whatsoever to the country, only to themselves.

There should always be a balance. Irish producers cannot expect people to buy their product if they cannot offer a reasonably competitive price. Not always as cheap as imports, but affordably close. Otherwise we just support inefficiency and cost gauging.

I always buy Irish if the price is reasonable. If 10% more people did that we would have a lot more jobs, and more revenue to spend on the services and health and education that the same people whinge about constantly.

you mean Enda Kenny and Fine Gael going to Florida to get their website done instead of "buying irish". :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Good informative post until, "y'know, alive n' stuff"
    No need to be a smartarse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Hmmm, during the boom didn't the Government buy large amounts of milk off Irish farmers and dump in a ditch somewhere, since they didn't have any use for it?
    what??
    link??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

what??
    link??

Hmm, don't hold me on that, but I remember our a teacher telling us that. But in case I've got it arse ways, our it's just wrong, I'm going to continue my vague google search. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭betsie

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Hmm, don't hold me on that, but I remember our a teacher telling us that. But in case I've got it arse ways, our it's just wrong, I'm going to continue my vague google search. :P

http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/cap-history/crisis-years-1980s/index_en.htm

This may be what you are on about :confused:

Advertisement