Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Espresso grinder options

• 25-10-2012 1:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Hi caffeinated persons! :-)

For many years, I dreamed of having a good espresso setup. My ideal combination was always a Brewtus or similar DB with a Mazzer Mini grinder. I acquired the Brewtus (IV) last january, and now I am finally in a position to get the grinder. But there is a problem...

...and that is which grinder to get? Like I said, i always wanted a Mazzer Mini, but now that I can actually get one, I'm not sure it's the best option. It's a great grinder no doubt; my brother has one and it is indeed virtually indestructible, has a good dosing system, and makes a great cup of coffee.

However, now I'm thinking that the Mahlkonig Vario-W would be a better option. Everything I've read (albeit on the non-W Vario) suggests it is a better grinder in the cup than the Mazzer, with perfectly good build quality for domestic use. I do like the idea of the scales built into the grinder, but I also like the simplicity of being able to just stick the portafilter under the grinder and grind straight into it, as with the stndard Vario and the Mini.

So the question is, does anyone here have any opinions? To be honest I think I'll just get the Vario-W, unless someone has a good reason why I shouldn't. By all accounts it produces a better grind than the Mazzer, is available locally from Coffeeangel, and possibly even from the new bricks 'n mortar shop (Karl, if you're reading, do you have them there?)

For reference, I only ever make espresso, almost always with Hasbean Kicker green beans, roasted myself.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

I was in Karl's shop on South Anne St yesterday and he definitely has them in stock. I assume its the regular Vario you are thinking of which costs approx €450: http://coffeeangel.com/product/mahlkonig-vario/

Without a doubt if you are buying a Vario then get it from Karl. I have bought two grinders from him and the aftersales service has been superb. Marco in Dublin are based in Sandyford and they look after any future fixing if you have issues.

Now I know little about the Mazzer mini as I've never owned one - but be warned that lots of things 'wear' on the Vario. I've had the hopper go, had the burrs replaced and some other internal bits and pieces. My other baratza (maestro plus) which I use for filter has also had to go in for fixing once (another plastic part that wore). Honestly I was a bit surprised as the machines were both less than 2.5 yrs old. I don't know if I was just unlucky, or if this is to be expected with domestic use. I guess you'll know yourself if parts go in the mazzer mini if your brother has one. I also reckon the Mazzer would like a lot nicer up beside the Brewtus on the counter versus the Vario.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 MaureenMac

Sorry in advance for hijacking this thread, but can anyone advise if a Mazzer Kony-e or possibly Major can be sourced in Ireland or will I have to order from UK?

Thanks

Advertisement