Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using a voucher to pay for a meal on first date?

• 25-10-2012 1:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭

Well hi,

I was reading an article on whether or not it is acceptable for the person paying for the meal/drinks to use a voucher especially on a first date.

I've never considered this personally myself but with vouchers proving more popular nowadays to attract customers to restaurants and of course with money being tight, is it something you would consider?

I think the problem some people had was that it sent out the wrong message to the datee (that a word?) about the person paying for the meal. Some suggesting it made them look cheap or tacky. Some even said they would politely decline a second date.

To me, if you are not paying for the meal why should it bother you?

Would you use a restaurant voucher on a first date? 90 votes

Yes, I don't see the problem.
    0% 0 votes
    No way!!!
    100% 90 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Hi :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Do mac donalds vouchers count?

Me and the Missus don't use vouchers usually go for a two for one job :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Sounds like a good acid test for finding out if shes worth a second date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

if she is one of those shallow women that expects a man to pay for everything then he is perfectly entitled to pay by whatever means he wishes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

It will be the first and last date with her

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

A guy did this to me on a first date, and it was fúcking terrible... I told him in advance that I didn't like Asian food because it made me feel sick, but he still insisted on bringing me to an Indian restaurant because he got a voucher from work for it. Not only did he pull out the voucher when I was in the process of ordering my food and loudly ask the waiter what he could get for it, but when the bill came he made a big fuss and called down the manager because the voucher didn't cover as much as he'd expected. Everyone around us was staring and snickering to eachother- it was not cool!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I don't think there's any problem how you pay for a meal necessarily, but it does send the message that you didn't choose the place because of its great ambiance, or because you thought she'd like it, but rather that you had a voucher so this'll do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Siuin wrote: »
    A guy did this to me on a first date, and it was fúcking terrible... I told him in advance that I didn't like Asian food because it made me feel sick, but he still insisted on bringing me to an Indian restaurant because he got a voucher from work for it. Not only did he pull out the voucher when I was in the process of ordering my food and loudly ask the waiter what he could get for it, but when the bill came he made a big fuss and called down the manager because the voucher didn't cover as much as he'd expected. Everyone around us was staring and snickering to eachother- it was not cool!!

Well that's just the sign of a complete dickhead. Voucher or no voucher!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

My partner and I are at odds over this. I would have no problem with it, providing it was for a nice or great place as opposed to a pizza joint. He says no way, no how.

I'm so low class maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

I voted Yes, but on second thoughts, maybe would be better to wait until second or third date :D
    On first date, you want to go all out & impress, so maybe using a voucher wouldn't be the way to go...I'm torn though, on the other hand, why pay €80 for something you could get for €40?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Well, depends if Dunnes have any of the Bird's Eye microwaveable lasagnes left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Yes but depends on the standard of restaurant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

When I think about it, if it is somebody I really like and have got to know and asked out on a first date then I would want to impress. However, if it is a blind date or a first meeting off a dating site I would be hesitant in spending too much as you don't really know the person and whether or not you want a second date.

Having said that, if the other person is insisting on paying half at the end and you picked an expensive restaurant to impress them it could be awkward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

What would be awkward is if you decided to split the bill, then paid for your half with a voucher :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Thriftiness =/= miserly.

Resourceful =/= stingy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

money is exchanged for voucher, which is exchanged for food. Algebra means the voucher is irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Why pay €80 for something you could get for €40?

Thats the opposite of how I approach the subject of sex. Why try get it for free, when you can just pay for it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭King Of Wishful Thinking

Well that's just the sign of a complete dickhead.

I thought she meant Chinese, give me a break.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I took a girl out to a chinese restaurant with a voucher for two I won in a raffle at an event we were both at.
    Ten years and two kids later the marriage is going grand thanks very much:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

I never let a guy pay for me on a date, always pay my own half no matter how much they insist so all that is pretty irrelevant to me. but I have to admit the last time I was on a date we stopped into mc Donalds before going home and he ordered the student meal (didn't know this existed til then) and whipped out his student card, this completely turned me off- no idea why. So if someone used a coupon I reckon id feel the same, unless they had asked me to go to a certain restaurant with them because he had a coupon. I think its maybe to do with the fact that if they were trying to impress then they wouldn't want to seem stingy, so its kind of like they're not trying, which is the turn off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

I use "Buy one get one free" all the time, but I tell the lady she got the bought one, and not the free one so she feels special.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

would it not mess up your chances of geting the ride?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Thriftiness =/= miserly.

Resourceful =/= stingy.
    folan wrote: »
    money is exchanged for voucher, which is exchanged for food. Algebra means the voucher is irrelevant.
    Anyone wrote: »
    I use "Buy one get one free" all the time, but I tell the lady she got the bought one, and not the free one so she feels special.
    So, the single life huh?

could be worse. (but not much worse)

sfwcork wrote: »
    would it not mess up your chances of geting the ride?
    you aul romantic you!

anyway, first dates are first impressions, foot in the door stuff.

wait til their resistance is worn down before your produce your true self. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

A voucher on a first date?

Fucking hell.. what a way to impress. You might as well show her your stamp collection & **** sock while your at it.

Fucking hell.. what a way to impress. You might as well show her your stamp collection & **** sock while your at it.
    or a tissue if you wanted to keep a small bit of class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Surely, people who are only impressed by the money you spend on them are not worth the effort? You should be more concerned about impressing them with conversation.

Tasden wrote: »
    I never let a guy pay for me on a date, always pay my own half no matter how much they insist so all that is pretty irrelevant to me. but I have to admit the last time I was on a date we stopped into mc Donalds before going home and he ordered the student meal (didn't know this existed til then) and whipped out his student card, this completely turned me off- no idea why. So if someone used a coupon I reckon id feel the same, unless they had asked me to go to a certain restaurant with them because he had a coupon. I think its maybe to do with the fact that if they were trying to impress then they wouldn't want to seem stingy, so its kind of like they're not trying, which is the turn off.
    plus they're stingy.

py2006 wrote: »
    Surely, people who are only impressed by the money you spend on them are not worth the effort? You should be more concerned about impressing them with conversation.
    Good Lord.

:eek:

• Advertisement

ArtSmart wrote: »
    So, the single life huh?

nope, but thanks for the concern.

glad I was able to find someone who isn't shallow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Nothing like a romantic trip down Moore Street after a vouchered dinner to browse the stalls.

"Fi-ev for feefty the wanksocks...."

"I'll have ten of them Madam. It's your lucky night tonight my dear"

I took a girl out to a chinese restaurant with a voucher for two I won in a raffle at an event we were both at.
    Ten years and two kids later the marriage is going grand thanks very much:D
    that's not a first date then, is it?

congrats all the same. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Siuin wrote: »

Did he understand that you meant all Asian food or did he think you meant Chinese? Why did you even stay in a place where the food (and the company) makes you sick?

folan wrote: »
    nope, but thanks for the concern.

glad I was able to find someone who isn't shallow.
    sorry, did you say doesn't swallow or isn't shallow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

So, the single life huh?

could be worse. (but not much worse)

Ah I was cracking a joke, seems humor is lost on some though :rolleyes:

Anyway, keep judging people, you do it so well ;)

• Advertisement

sorry, did you say doesn't swallow or isn't shallow?

don't worry. I used spell check.

Anyone wrote: »
    Ah I was cracking a joke, seems humor is lost on some though :rolleyes:

Anyway, keep judging people, you do it so well ;)
    hmmmm

ye think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Lord god I'd feel slightly terrible using vouchers in front of my family or friends...for a date it's just out of the question for me completely...even if we ended up being a couple and with eachother a few months or more I still would never produce a voucher in front of her for anything...vouchers are probably the tackiest gifts ever for me. I know recession and all that but it gives the receiver the sh*ttest impression of the person ever and that cringe worthy artificial 'Aww thank you so much you're too kind'...so yeah no way.
    In before you're an unrealistic snob...

come to think of it, i remember a first date (cinema), back in the day - and she bought the tickets - she had a great job at the time. - but only after insisting i produce my student card.

yeah, that didn't end well.

'Liberation for women, that what I preach. Preacher man.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Did he understand that you meant all Asian food or did he think you meant Chinese? Why did you even stay in a place where the food (and the company) makes you sick?
    Yep, he understood very well- when walking me to the 'surprise' location, he started with "I know you said you don't like Asian food, but I found a very nice Indian restaurant..." -- 'found' as in he google mapped its location after getting a voucher for the place at work... bah.

It was a real sign on things to come, as his stinginess only got worse as time progressed. And this was an almost 30 year old guy with a well paying full time job in HiTech, whereas I'm a college student.

I recently dumped him because he called me a 'spoiled brat' for asking if he was going to take me anywhere for my birthday after dating for 6 months... ugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Don't see the problem with it. As its been mentioned it would be a good way to see if the chick is uptight and not worth my time.

If I paid for a voucher and am treating you to a meal then **** you if you think the voucher isn't good enough. Cnut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

In this time of austerity, I would have though that 'thriftiness' would have jumped right up toward the top of attributes that a woman looks for in a man..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

I could see how people think it's stingey, but in fairness if she is not paying 1 cent towards the bill she can fcuk off if she starts complaining about my method of paying.

As already said it's a good way to weed out the gold-diggers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I don't think I'd have a problem with it. Why would you complain if it's saving the guy a few quid? He could even mention it before the date if he wanted to feel more comfortable about producing it when the bill came out. "hey I have a voucher for this place, wanna go?" what sort of a person can think badly of you for that, especially given that nearly everybody is feeling financially strained.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

Well if he's paying for my meal too then yeah using a voucher would make him seem like a scab, but I would pay for my own half anyway so I don't really care how he pays for his half. You're trying to impress the girl on a first date though, using vouchers is more likely gonna do the opposite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

It's a first date. You are sussing each other out. It could have been a walk on the beach, or other free activity. How the meal is paid for is of no importance - it's how the company went that matters - unless she's a shallow-sharrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Date going great, having a grand time, then he pays with a voucher and your opinion all of a sudden changes.

Does not compute :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

you aul romantic you!

anyway, first dates are first impressions, foot in the door stuff.

wait til their resistance is worn down before your produce your true self. ;)

HA HA couldn't of put it better myself!!!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Like that meteor ad..

"and there's 8.43 for the chicken balls!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Well if he's paying for my meal too then yeah using a voucher would make him seem like a scab, but I would pay for my own half anyway so I don't really care how he pays for his half. You're trying to impress the girl on a first date though, using vouchers is more likely gonna do the opposite

Maybe he is just more mature and see's the bigger picture like a future where he can afford things and save for things and if a vouchers saves him 50% then that shows a good responsible side to him.

Very laughable some of the responses to this.

Wondered why Ireland has gone to ****. Now i have answer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement