Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using a voucher to pay for a meal on first date?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Well if he's paying for my meal too then yeah using a voucher would make him seem like a scab, but I would pay for my own half anyway so I don't really care how he pays for his half. You're trying to impress the girl on a first date though, using vouchers is more likely gonna do the opposite

Impress someone with your skills in using cash or a credit card to settle a transaction? Or impress them by actually paying for the service provided? It's not exactly magic, is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

ArtSmart wrote: »
    come to think of it, i remember a first date (cinema), back in the day - and she bought the tickets - she had a great job at the time. - but only after insisting i produce my student card.

yeah, that didn't end well.

What's wrong with saving a few quid. :confused: I always offer up my student card whenever I can. That's what its there for!
    Abi wrote: »
    I don't think I'd have a problem with it. Why would you complain if it's saving the guy a few quid? He could even mention it before the date if he wanted to feel more comfortable about producing it when the bill came out. "hey I have a voucher for this place, wanna go?" what sort of a person can think badly of you for that, especially given that nearly everybody is feeling financially strained.

That's grand, no problem with that. But for some reason (I'm trying to work out why) if a guy pulled out a voucher to pay at the end I'd be a bit :cool: Makes no sense, I know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Well if he's paying for my meal too then yeah using a voucher would make him seem like a scab, but I would pay for my own half anyway so I don't really care how he pays for his half. You're trying to impress the girl on a first date though, using vouchers is more likely gonna do the opposite

Voucher would probably have saved you money too. Your loss... :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

I generally find showing off your money to impress generally turns women off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Gauss wrote: »

Turns them on at the same time though...

to your wallet...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

Korvanica wrote: »

Turns them on at the same time though...

to your wallet...

Yep it shows you don't think your good enough for her on your own without bells and whisltes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

http://www.groupon.nl/deals/utrecht/-t-Lagerhuys/12150040

I really wouldn't have a problem with getting brought for this on a first date instead of a Nandos or Pizza Express.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Gauss wrote: »

True, so does being miserly though.

Best to hide your vouchers until the relationship is going strong. Then amaze with your powers of thriftyness. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I'm a fiend for those online restaurant voucher/deal things though, so I'd probably be impressed.

Besides it's a good way to ask someone out. "I have a voucher for X restaurant, would you like to come out with me and help me spend it?" Aww.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

http://www.groupon.nl/deals/utrecht/-t-Lagerhuys/12150040

I really wouldn't have a problem with getting brought for this on a first date instead of a Nandos or Pizza Express.

Who wouldnt like to be brought to holland for a first date :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Why OP didn't you make this a public poll so I could know who the 'No way' voters are and avoid them?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

sfwcork wrote: »
    would it not mess up your chances of geting the ride?

My face is the main cause of that already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

I wouldn't mind at all if it was a "I got a voucher for (wherever) do you fancy trying it out" casual type of bite to eat and movie date but otherwise I dont think it's first date protocol.

Who wouldnt like to be brought to holland for a first date :confused:

I live here, so that's up the road from me.

Best I could find in Ireland in today's offers was this: http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/belfast/coach-nightclub/11958091 and this: http://www.groupon.ie/deals/dublin-special/carlos-restaurant-at-lynams-hotel/11939337

but deals similar to the Dutch one do come up quite often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

you aul romantic you!

anyway, first dates are first impressions, foot in the door stuff.

wait til their resistance is worn down before your produce your true self. ;)

Like this ?

1st date:"excuse me, I'm just popping to the bathroom"

Foot in the door: "I'm Goin' for a p1ss" ;)

• Advertisement

Don't see the problem with vouchers at all, doesn't mean he only picked the restaurant because of the voucher - it could be that he loves the place and they happened to have a deal on. The only bit I'd be embarrassed about would be that it makes it more difficult to go halves! I could pay for the drinks though (as long as he hadn't ordered two bottles of the 1995 burgundy :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

billybudd wrote: »

Maybe he is just more mature and see's the bigger picture like a future where he can afford things and save for things and if a vouchers saves him 50% then that shows a good responsible side to him.

Very laughable some of the responses to this.

Wondered why Ireland has gone to ****. Now i have answer.

You see it as responsible.. Most girls would see it as stingy.. Just 'cause what I said was different to what you think doesn't make it ''laughable'', it's only an opinion, just like yours

How he pays for his food would make no difference to me if I'm actually interested in him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Is it still all good if it's a "buy one big mac meal, get one free" voucher??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

If the company and food are good, I don't see an issue. :confused:

Might as well use the voucher for its purpose. And the person who doesn't have the voucher doesn't have to pay, which is an extra treat surely. I can't see stinginess there at all. How does one voucher = therefore generally stingy? I'd think fair play for putting it to good use.

Most girls would see it as stingy..

Please don't speak for "most" of us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

This is a discussion?

What is wrong with you people?

It's a NO NO.

Can't you wrap your heads around that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

PC CDROM wrote: »
    This is a discussion?

What is wrong with you people?

It's a NO NO.

Can't you wrap your heads around that?
    True. Individual views don't exist, everyone thinks the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest, I wouldn't think any less of of someone for using a voucher towards the bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

What ? what does it matter ?

Sure isn't she getting a free effing meal out of it ?

Christ, wish I had a voucher for a free slap up meal right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Use the voucher on the sly, no need for her to see what comes out of your wallet.

Seriously though do men feel obliged to pay the full bill for a first date?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

Paying with the voucher is a great way of not having to leave a tip aswell:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I love vouchers, a guy being thrifty is a positive trait imo

If I had a good time with him and then he said 'oh by the way, I have a bogof voucher for this place', I'd be happy. It's less money to pay at the end of the night, what's not to like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Siuin wrote: »
    A guy did this to me on a first date, and it was fúcking terrible... I told him in advance that I didn't like Asian food because it made me feel sick, but he still insisted on bringing me to an Indian restaurant because he got a voucher from work for it. Not only did he pull out the voucher when I was in the process of ordering my food and loudly ask the waiter what he could get for it, but when the bill came he made a big fuss and called down the manager because the voucher didn't cover as much as he'd expected. Everyone around us was staring and snickering to eachother- it was not cool!!

I'm almost embarrassed just reading that. What an assclown...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Paying with the voucher is a great way of not having to leave a tip aswell:D
    And boom! No second date. Ugh.

I dunno, Siuin stayed with her voucher guy for 6 months despite him using a voucher and taking her out for food she'd already informed him she couldn't stand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

any woman who is shallow enough to think a guy's stingy rather than thrifty for using a voucher isn't worth dating imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Vouchers are okay, but paying for a meal with a credit card means you're either broke or stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

You see it as responsible.. Most girls would see it as stingy.. Just 'cause what I said was different to what you think doesn't make it ''laughable'', it's only an opinion, just like yours

How he pays for his food would make no difference to me if I'm actually interested in him

Most girls? :pac:, really now answer me this and i will try not look down on your post.

What is stingy about getting a 50% discount?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

come to think of it, i remember a first date (cinema), back in the day - and she bought the tickets - she had a great job at the time. - but only after insisting i produce my student card.

yeah, that didn't end well.

'Liberation for women, that what I preach. Preacher man.'
    Why didn't it end well? Do you not use your student card to get discounts? If you were paying for your own ticket would you have paid full price? That just seems ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

I dunno, Siuin stayed with her voucher guy for 6 months despite him using a voucher and taking her out for food she'd already informed him she couldn't stand.

Let's just say he had other more positive... assets... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

to those commenting on the use of vouchers.

we're not talking about use of vouchers.

we're talking about use of vouchers, on a first date!!!!!!

sheesh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Akrasia wrote: »
    Vouchers are okay, but paying for a meal with a credit card means you're either broke or stupid
    What a load of sh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Pay cash or no gash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

It all depends on how it's done.

I've only ever had one first date that was a proper 'dinner date'. And it was with a guy I'd gotten talking to online, so I'd never met him before the date. We'd been chatting about food etc, he asked me out for dinner, and he brought me to a really lovely little place that was exactly the sort of food I liked, with a great menu. When the bill came, he absolutely insisted on paying it - because, as far as he was concerned, he asked me out for dinner, so he should pay for it (it wasn't a sexist thing.) We went for drinks afterwards and I paid; the next time we went for dinner I paid; it all balanced out pretty evenly after that.

I have to admit, if he'd pulled out a deal voucher when the bill came, I would have felt a little bit less impressed. I don't know, it just seemed like he'd made such an effort to find a restaurant that I'd love ... I think that using a voucher to pay for the meal would raise the question as to whether he was just going for the cheapest most convenient option.

By the way, it's not about the money - I'd have had absolutely no problem if he'd suggested going 50:50 on the bill. In fact, if I'd decided during the meal that I wouldn't be meeting him again, I'd have insisted on 50:50.

But ... to give a different scenario. Say if we'd been chatting about food, and I mentioned I liked (for example) Italian food, and he said "Hey I've a deal voucher for 2 for 1 at this nice Italian restaurant, would you like to try it out?" Well then I'd have absolutely no problem with him using the voucher in that situation!

Also, after the first date, once you're officially 'dating' each other, using vouchers is fine, in my opinion (I'd expect each person to end up paying approximately half overall, though.)

I just think that, at least on the first date, it's nice to show that you're really making an effort to impress the other person. And, if you're the person arranging the date (whether you're male or female), it makes a better impression to show that you've chosen the venue based on what you think you'll both enjoy. Not based on whatever restaurant is giving good deals that week!

It wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me. But, if I didn't know in advance that we were using a voucher, I can see how it might lead to some awkwardness at the end of the meal when the bill arrived.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

If ye were both students, then maybe... Maybe

It all depends on how it's done.

I have to admit, if he'd pulled out a deal voucher when the bill came, I would have felt a little bit less impressed. I don't know, it just seemed like he'd made such an effort to find a restaurant that I'd love ... I think that using a voucher to pay for the meal would raise the question as to whether he was just going for the cheapest most convenient option.

But ... to give a different scenario. Say if we'd been chatting about food, and I mentioned I liked (for example) Italian food, and he said "Hey I've a deal voucher for 2 for 1 at this nice Italian restaurant, would you like to try it out?" Well then I'd have absolutely no problem with him using the voucher in that situation!

Yeah, this. I totally agree, which is why I don't understand the people going "No absolutely no way". If someone says "hey, I have this voucher, want to come to dinner with me?" surely it would be even easier to ask someone out?

Nonetheless, I see a Groupon type of voucher as just an already paid-for meal. It's not like a 10% off thing clipped out of the newspaper.

I have to ask all the negative nancys, would have you taken a girl out for one of those "meal for two and a bottle of wine for 20 quid" deals that were ubiquitous last century?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

I must live on a different planet to a lot of people here.

How is this even an issue? Makes no difference whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

This is a great way to weed out the girls you don't want.

Pay with a voucher - if your date seems turned off, you've saved yourself a lot of wasted time and money.

Advertisement