Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Real men don't cook"

• 25-10-2012 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else seen this poster all over the place? It's a marketing advert for some take out to deliver.

If anything this has made me not want to order from this crowd, the odd time I do order take out. The ad hasn't offended me, but I just think the slogan is pretty stupid and this is one of those Go-compaaare! effects where I will never ever buy your product or use your service as a result of your marketing.

So, what businesses have turned you against them as a result of their adverts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I went off Des Kelly after he put up those posters about keeping the Sabbath.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Bullshít, I'm a real man and I cook. Sizzling meat is like music to my ears, I consider throwing it on the pan to be an artistic performance of sorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Volvic.

That 30 day challenge thing where they had that annoying dude doing the challenge and feeling great. "Just popped out for a cheeky Volvic"

Made me want to put a fist through the telly and I've avoided the stuff ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

do real men barbecue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Go compare ad with the crazy tach, it does my tits in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Never stopped me from buying a :pac: yorkie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

You can always spot a real man who doesn't cook by the fact that he's a fat bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Club Orange can't go near the thing without getting an erection since their juicy bits campaign :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Well you're on Boards taking about them so .......

They have a great little campaign by that rationale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

All those ads that have the fake "i've been using X for 10 days now and blah blah blah"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

them ads are made by fat marketing women that lunch every day, go out to bitch about work on friday night, walk to work in their suit with runners, live alone in a filthy bedsit in rathmines.....the list goes on

oh, and hate men

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

themadchef wrote: »
    Well you're on Boards taking about them so .......

They have a great little campaign by that rationale.

No, it's only great if people go and buy the product and they can relate increased sales to that particular campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Many many years ago, Benetton produced a series of ads which were so "creative and original" that I have never bought a Benetton product since. I know when I'm being manipulated and I don't like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Orim wrote: »
    Volvic.

That 30 day challenge thing where they had that annoying dude doing the challenge and feeling great. "Just popped out for a cheeky Volvic"

Made me want to put a fist through the telly and I've avoided the stuff ever since.

Ah yes, the classic, drink water challenge. What marketing genius came up with this I'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

That McDonald's add with the cheers song.

It's all about healthy Irish produced food meanwhile;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'd like to see them say it to Gordon Ramsay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭tigger123

them ads are made by fat marketing women that lunch every day, go out to bitch about work on friday night, walk to work in their suit with runners, live alone in a filthy bedsit in rathmines.....the list goes on

oh, and hate men

Your post reeks of issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Those crazy Tampax ads that imply you can swimming and go horseriding if you buy them. Both me and my horse nearly drowned and neither of us are allowed back to the pool again.

Plus the cost of nasal surgery to remove them was atrocious, who knew they'd swell up that much when wet? Not me, that's who.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I tend to avoid anything by Danone since their pseudo-science BS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

"Real men don't cook" my arse!! Everyone knows being able to cook well is one of the best/easiest ways to get the ride, fact*. :D

may or may not be fact, but it definitely works :p

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

Drakares wrote: »
    Has anyone else seen this poster all over the place? It's a marketing advert for some take out to deliver.

If anything this has made me not want to order from this crowd, the odd time I do order take out. The ad hasn't offended me, but I just think the slogan is pretty stupid and this is one of those Go-compaaare! effects where I will never ever buy your product or use your service as a result of your marketing.

So, what businesses have turned you against them as a result of their adverts?

Don't care about how ad's are done or if they irritate me. I care about price if they are best value then they get my business regardless of their marketing ploy.

But those government ad's about how other people who cheat insurance companies are the reason mine is so high piss me off. Wish they brought out an ad about the cheating government ministers! as why my taxes are so high!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

kowloon wrote: »
    I tend to avoid anything by Danone since their pseudo-science BS.

I also have an irrational hatred for the way yer one says 'Mmm, Danone.' It's on par with the 'Zoom zoom zoom' from those Mazda ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Drakares wrote: »

Can you imagine the uproar if it said:

"Real women cook"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Harvey. ****ing. Norman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

Piliger wrote: »
    Can you imagine the uproar if it said:

"Real women cook"

His slogan was just to make us open the thread , pretty good effect actually.

The thread is about advertising.

Well done OP, you should be in marketing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The GF does get all riled up when those ads for chocolates / hair products / food / etc where a bunch of women are clucking to each other and act obsessed by calories / low fats and how much it won't make their thighs swell up and make their face develop fistfuls of cysts that explode all over Mr. Right's face just as they're about to kiss him....................in the rain.

Anyways, when it comes to kitchen / kids stuff the man is always seen as the bumbling man-child idiot would kill himself if he tried to wash a cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

His slogan was just to make us open the thread , pretty good effect actually.

The thread is about advertising.

Well done OP, you should be in marketing.

Well seeing as it's about marketing campaigns that make you vow to never buy the products in question, perhaps he should be in anti-marketing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭King Of Wishful Thinking

Used to love Maltesers until that fcuking stupid god awful women feeling naughty ad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Real men starve? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Toothpastes that come highly recommended by dentists. People having crap teeth keeps them fed, why would I trust a toothpaste that 9/10 of them recommend? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Casillas wrote: »
    That McDonald's add with the cheers song.

It's all about healthy Irish produced food meanwhile;

youtube vid

That title is golden! "Immortal McHorror burger" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

You can always spot a real man who doesn't cook by the fact that he's a fat bastard.

At the same token ....never trust a skinny chef.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

**** that...Imagine walking into a butchers and seeing a nice juicy T-Bone steak that you want then having to go home and beg someone to cook it for you..I see my steak I want my steak and I'll damn well cook that steak.

Seriously though , shame on any bloke who is early to mid twenties and can't at least make a standard meal for himself. I love cooking...LOVE IT!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Earthday

Real men dont need to cook, if you have this :cool::D

• Advertisement

No one company per se - but any inclination I may have ever had to become a betting man was entirely destroyed by the recent spate of half time "In game betting" ads that have been populating Sky Sports of late. They are all just dire - especially one with the little dark skinned guy running around screaming because he just won some money..... or the one with the over weight pretend tough guy with his next scorer odds.

I have no ill will towards any one company but it has certainly reduced the already minute odds that I will ever use a bookmaker for anything. And they are odds so long you could throw a fiver on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Pretend men cook?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Great thread.
    I wont drink Heineken because of that crap ad where the knob gets stuck on the train and tries to act tough in Russia.....it ruined a good song too.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭emmbaasee

The ad for VHI is the worst i've come across.
    You know the one..
    Where the woman is worried about her HUSBAND and her tiny little babies:mad:
    Jesus i hate that woman :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Tony Soprano never looked more at home when he was standing over a massive, blazing barbeque, turning links and steaks over the flames. (I know he's fictional, but he's the embodiment of an alpha-male).

Gordon Ramsey is a surly, hyper-masculine guy, and he's well known for his adept-ness with a garlic press.

Italians, Spanish and French (and their various ex-pats all over the globe) all view cooking with the same reverence that some do with religion and it is always seen as a good thing for a man to be able to cook properly. And if anyone has ever been to Italy, Spain or France... it is almost impossible to eat badly over there. These people live to eat.

• Advertisement

Great thread.
    I wont drink Heineken because of that crap ad where the knob gets stuck on the train and tries to act tough in Russia.....it ruined a good song too.

Why the fcuk couldn't he get out at the next stop and go back? The Paris - St Petersburg Express doesn't exist anyway.

Besides it is mass produced p*ss water and gives me a headache. Reason enough not to drink it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

emmbaasee wrote: »
    You know the one..

+1, I can't stand her

It was a real ER situation :confused:

emmbaasee wrote: »
    You know the one..

There's no good insurance company ad, FBD, No Nonsense, Zurich, VHI, they're ALL sh*t.

There's no good insurance company ad, FBD, No Nonsense, Zurich, VHI, they're ALL sh*t.

A now in fairness the compare the meerkats one was cute :) but I guess they are a broker more than an insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

I hate that Febreeze ad where they're "testing" people. There's a guy with a blindfold on standing in a loo saying, "It smells like... Hawaii or something?"

Wtf is Hawaii supposed to smell like? Stupid ad.

A now in fairness the compare the meerkats one was cute :) but I guess they are a broker more than an insurance company.

Meerkats come from Africa, why do they have Russian accents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Any guy who requires someone else to feed him hardly qualifies for the description of "real man".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

There was an ad on the radio recently for Fruit Pastilles or Wine Gums or something like that where the person was sad and then had a sweet and now everyday was a happy chewsday or something along those lines, have to say they were the most irritating thing I have ever heard. Thankfully due to the vagueness of the description I appear to have burned 90% of the memory of them from my head.

Meerkats come from Africa, why do they have Russian accents?

Their accent is more of an issue for you than the meer (hehe) fact they are talking at all in the first place? :p

Maybe meerkats have different voice boxed and talking in an african accent through a meerkat voice box comes out sounding russian :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

Those Saorview ads. Jesus Christ if someone doesn't know we're "going digital" by now they clearly don't care about TV. Or they have a dodgy Sky Box.

The deadline is gone- WHY are the ads still on telly?! Why! Why!

On the "real men don't cook" thing- I find that weird. My dad was in the army and learned to cook there. So I always grew up with it being normal that a man could cook and clean and was neat. Are soldiers not real men or something?!

• Advertisement
Advertisement