Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Real men don't cook"

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Grayson wrote: »
    I'd like to see them say it to Gordon Ramsay

A dog whose bark is worse than their bite if ever there was one.

kowloon wrote: »
    I tend to avoid anything by Danone since their pseudo-science BS.

It's not so much pseudoscience as science that is in the early stages of research. So they shouldn't be latching on to it just yet.

emmbaasee wrote: »
    The ad for VHI is the worst i've come across.
    You know the one..
    Where the woman is worried about her HUSBAND and her tiny little babies:mad:
    Jesus i hate that woman :mad::mad:

The way she says 'husband'. Soooo affected. :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

That Done fucking Deal advert where the woman sells her husband to some other lady. Basically anything sexist really, REALLY winds me up, but that one put me into a state of rage.

And all shaving adverts. Awesome, you strapped yet another blade to a plastic stick. Calling it the Mach 19 Ultra Xtreme Mighty Behemoth F1 GrandMaster Stubble Destroyer isn't going to make me buy the fucking thing because I'm not a God damn idiot, you fucking marketing bastards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

That Magnum one where they say it's never-ending and keeps coming back :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Meteor ran me away years ago with their god awful ad campaigns. Next month will be cruel because the fcukers always roll out their Christmas sh1te in November. I think a lot of people are still scarred by the smug beardy carol singing twat from the last couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Real men don't cook.

Real men bake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

tigger123 wrote: »
    Your post reeks of issues.

your one of them arent you, like the aminated woman on the no nosense insurance ad on the telly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭RayCon

The ad for Optilase laser eye surgery when one of the post-op women says "I haven't looked back since" .... not the greatest of catchphrases all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Men who can cook are HOT. There's something very sexy about a man in the kitchen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I get put off by over advertised products, as I know I am probably paying over the odds for the product just to pay for the very ads I watch, whether I like them or not.
    Used to love Maltesers until that fcuking stupid god awful women feeling naughty ad.
    These ads just highlight the small portion sizes of these bars. Wispa & aero are 2 others full of air, all about the same kcal per 100g. They usually go out of their way to hide the small size by often not quoting its weight directly on the pack.
    Casillas wrote: »
    That McDonald's add with the cheers song.

It's all about healthy Irish produced food meanwhile;

That video is unfair. They should have cooked their own version and had it alongside it. If they did I would expect similar results from the 'unprocessed'/'healthy' version as the McDs. Skinny fries like that contain very little water, so do not really go mouldy, just like crisps do not, they are self preserving. Same with dried out bread & meat. If making their own version I would guess any decent chef is probably adding the same, or more salt than McDs, which helps preserve it too. I think this experiment was done in a very hot & dry state in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Real men DO cook.

My speciality is steak and sweet potato, and spaghetti and meatballs.

Ladies, back off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

"Real men don't cook" guess that's why all the most famous chefs are men then..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

themadchef wrote: »
    Well you're on Boards taking about them so .......

They have a great little campaign by that rationale.

How so? I still have no idea who the company is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

You know what real men don't do?

Have periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Funglegunk wrote: »
    I also have an irrational hatred for the way yer one says 'Mmm, Danone.' It's on par with the 'Zoom zoom zoom' from those Mazda ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

real men cant cook ?

i say whalt whitman would disagree - that man can cook :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I saw the headline, didn't read the details ... thought it was reverse psychology, selling something for real men who cook. :p

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

That toothpaste ad where the woman does some challenge which involves her squeaking her teeth every few hours. Really annoying.

Also the Marco Pierre ad where he is extolling the virtues of his stock cubes. C'mon man .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Very intelligent thread idea op! Hmmm I dont know about ad's that have turned me off a product really but the "real men dont cook" slogan would annoy me! the best cooks in my family were also the hardest b*stards going!

Edit: Oh wait that disgusting KFC ad where the women talk with their mouths full!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Bloody brilliant thread. There's this ad on the tele for Fisher Price - it has the most annoying twee background music 'we are exactly one of a kind...' inspired by Feist or some such shit and it makes me want to stamp on babies. Fisher Price will never find its way inside my home. Fisher bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

emmbaasee wrote: »
    The ad for VHI is the worst i've come across.
    You know the one..
    Where the woman is worried about her HUSBAND and her tiny little babies:mad:
    Jesus i hate that woman :mad::mad:

I know. If I just had a section and was facing 6 wks recovery and had premature twins I wouldn't be worried about my husband, He should be worried about the three of them.

And real men can cook. I wouldn't have much respect for a man who can't/won't cook and need a mammy replacement. Being able to cook is one of the very basic things an adult does or should do to take care of themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Meteor ran me away years ago with their god awful ad campaigns. Next month will be cruel because the fcukers always roll out their Christmas sh1te in November. I think a lot of people are still scarred by the smug beardy carol singing twat from the last couple of years.

+1 really wanted to hurt that gob****e. On the plus side it seems daft dave is gone for good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

"Real men cook" would be more accurate tbh.

Gordon Ramsay, Jamie Oliver, women love them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Real men do cook. One hand with a 20kg dumbell, the other with a frying pan. Its all real.

There really is a bang of 1950 off that add campaign. Woman in the kitchen, man at the 9 to 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    "Real men cook" would be more accurate tbh.

Gordon Ramsay, Jamie Oliver, women love them.

Really, wimmin are into that sorta thing!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭King Of Wishful Thinking

This guy agrees, which is why he only eats raw meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Think it's a McDonalds ad where they're advertising their coffee and those annoying teenage girls are at the table and one says "and then he says see you later, like what does that even mean" I am never drinking McDonalds coffee again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Why the fcuk couldn't he get out at the next stop and go back? The Paris - St Petersburg Express doesn't exist anyway.

Besides it is mass produced p*ss water and gives me a headache. Reason enough not to drink it.

Yeah, terrible ad. At one stage it shows the train traveling by some Alpine looking mountains, when in fact, "the Paris to St. Petersburg express" would travel via most of the European plain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭uch

Drakares wrote: »
    Has anyone else seen this poster all over the place? It's a marketing advert for some take out to deliver.

If anything this has made me not want to order from this crowd, the odd time I do order take out. The ad hasn't offended me, but I just think the slogan is pretty stupid and this is one of those Go-compaaare! effects where I will never ever buy your product or use your service as a result of your marketing.

So, what businesses have turned you against them as a result of their adverts?

Ah now, c'mon we do

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Do corn flakes count?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Oh yes.. We buy any car.. dot com.

Straight to the guillotine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

Drakares wrote: »
    Has anyone else seen this poster all over the place? It's a marketing advert for some take out to deliver.

If anything this has made me not want to order from this crowd, the odd time I do order take out. The ad hasn't offended me, but I just think the slogan is pretty stupid and this is one of those Go-compaaare! effects where I will never ever buy your product or use your service as a result of your marketing.

So, what businesses have turned you against them as a result of their adverts?

Couldn't agree more.
    Saw the ad yesterday and genuinely thought "Well I won't be using that service"
    Stupid marketing, lazy marketing, and potentially offensive if you're a bit ofa sensitive sod...in which case you probably cook cos you're not a real man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

I'm a man and I LOVE to cook!

Always tastes better when you do it yourself!

folan wrote: »
    Do corn flakes count?

I tested this. Looks like the answer is "no". I put loads of things in front of them and they couldnt tell me how many there was each time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

DyldeBrill wrote: »
    I'm a man and I LOVE to cook!

Always tastes better when you do it yourself!

That's what she said!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

"I don't know if you can hear this, but my teeth are squeaking clean. I love it"

Kindly, f*ck off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement