Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The First Steps...

• 25-10-2012 2:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭

Hi all, myself and the gf have decided to make the move out of Ireland and also decided we like NZ best out of our possible destinations. We're both honours graduates, i have a degree in business, while she has a degree in social care. Can anybodyy shed some light on how easy it is to make the move? I think the working holiday visa is what we should be applying for, but then we would only be able to do p/t work i think? Is there any jobs in NZ apart from construction jobs? I would take any job by the way.

Any help really apreciated, thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

justshane wrote: »
    but then we would only be able to do p/t work i think?

I'm pretty sure that's not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

You can work fulltime for up to six months for one employer at a time on a working holiday visa and stay in the country for one year. Any industry in any location.

You can apply and get the visa easily online and then once you're here you just go look for jobs there's nothing else to it really. They say you should have a couple of grand in your account to survive on but ive never heard of immigration actually requesting proof of this.

If you're happy to take any kind of job theres always casual work in retail, hospitality, office temping and construction and during peak seasons on the ski fields etc. If you want to stay longer then you can apply for perm jobs and once you got accepted straight away apply for a longer term work permit or residency.

www.seek.co.nz and www.trademe.co.nz list jobs. www.immigration.govt.nz lists visa and work permits.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

pclancy wrote: »
    You can work fulltime for up to six months for one employer at a time on a working holiday visa and stay in the country for one year. Any industry in any location.

You sure about this? There used to be no time restrictions on how long you could work with one employer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭20260622

CatFromHue wrote: »
    You sure about this? There used to be no time restrictions on how long you could work with one employer.

There is no time restrictions in NZ. This still applies in Oz alright but not NZ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Thanks for the help guys

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Definitely no restriction on the time you can spend with an employer.

Sorry my bad, it was the case when I came down but not anymore :)

Visa got so all set, booking flights this week hopefully. Just wondering does anyone have any info on urban rooms for accom? Looks like a cheap and cheerfull option till we get setteld with a job and a more permanent abode :) Heres the link if anyone has any info it's much appreciated
    http://www.urbanrooms.co.nz/houses.htm

Their website looks lovely...but is very out of date, they haven't mentioned the fact that the entire CBD is closed off. I see their properties are just outside the redzone, http://cera.govt.nz/cbd-red-zone/red-zone-cordon-map

I hear there's a lot more life out in the suburbs these days as the CBD is so quiet but I guess for a first base to get started in NZ they look nice. What kind of rent is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭MrTsSnickers

Hey how much did the whole process cost ye, if you dont mind me asking? I'm looking at it and it's like 510NZD just for expression of interest? If thats approved, what next!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭20260622

Hey how much did the whole process cost ye, if you dont mind me asking? I'm looking at it and it's like 510NZD just for expression of interest? If thats approved, what next!?

It depends on the kind of visa your applying for, myself and my other half applied under the Skilled Migrant visa this year and it cost:

$440 EOI (Fee's have obviously gone up since)
    $250 Medicals (Probably more expensive in Ireland)
    $175 Australian Police check (Probably not applicable to you)
    $1550 Skilled Migrant Visa (Fee's could differ if applying from outside NZ)
    $310 Migrant Levy (Fee that has to be paid when you have been granted the visa, fee may also have gone up since)

More info here: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rdonlyres/00B58004-04AB-46C6-B32B-5CE91FBA979A/0/INZ102830July2012.pdf

Hope this helps :)

Yep that's just the same as me except the Irish Gardi don't charge for the police checks. $2K to live in kiwiland.

Thanks guys, may start saving I suppose!

Remember you don't need to pay it all at once, the time between steps can be quite long as they review your application or you wait to be drawn from the pool etc. The final levi doesnt need to be paid until everything is approved and you send in your passport.

Thanks for the help pclancy. Rent is 150NZD a week, seems reasonable enough?

You can get a working holiday visa for the 250e mark, it gives you a year in NZ and then you can apply for longer visas.

Don't think we can go for a working holiday visa as we'd be bringing the young fella, if I'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

Sadly one condition with the WHV is that you can't bring children :/ Maybe try looking at a different visa? It'll be worth it in the long run :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭mazi

Its 6 months in Oz NOT nz for any one employer.
    pclancy wrote: »

You can apply and get the visa easily online and then once you're here you just go look for jobs there's nothing else to it really. They say you should have a couple of grand in your account to survive on but ive never heard of immigration actually requesting proof of this.

If you're happy to take any kind of job theres always casual work in retail, hospitality, office temping and construction and during peak seasons on the ski fields etc. If you want to stay longer then you can apply for perm jobs and once you got accepted straight away apply for a longer term work permit or residency.

www.seek.co.nz and www.trademe.co.nz list jobs. www.immigration.govt.nz lists visa and work permits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

tom_ass19 wrote: »
    Sadly one condition with the WHV is that you can't bring children :/ Maybe try looking at a different visa? It'll be worth it in the long run :)

Can you put the kid on a working holiday visa? Make him pay some rent:p

Advertisement