Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this normal?

• 25-10-2012 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

My dog cut her paw pad yesterday. It's a nasty little cut but seems to be healing (it got a bit of a covering over the wound since yesterday). She's limping slightly as expected. But she's also sleeping a lot and being a little lethargic. Just wondering if this is normal for a dog when they are in a bit of pain. She's quite a hardy dog so doesn't tend to hurt herself often.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Just be careful that there isnt an infection setting in. This could cause her to be off form if there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caitmb

Same happened mine recently,vet advised bathing it in salt water few times a day.

Mine was slightly quieter than normal,feeling sorry for himself but I think foot pad cuts tend to heal pretty quickly,once no infection sets in.(open to correction...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Thanks for the replies. I've being checking it constantly for any signs of infection ie swelling, going yellow etc. but it looks fine and the cut has sealed itself if you get me.
    Thanks for putting me at ease. She is wagging tail, eating etc but just less hyper and more sleepy than usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

OH's dog has managed to cut her pad - badly- twice. She is normally a bouncy, yappy thing but was noticeably quieter both times.
    Just keep an eye on it OP but if dog is eating and showing affection (waggy tailed especially) I wouldn't be too concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

very unlikely to get infected as dogs have great blood supply to legs and will heal within days bit of vaseline helps to keep wound sealed after bathing in tepid salt water twice daily

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Thanks for putting my mind at ease. I checked her pads at 4 this afternoon and again at 8pm. The difference in the healing is unreal! Skin starting to grow back already. It only happened yesterday!
    Her form has picked up in the last 2 hours - keeps bringing ball and is walking around a lot more. Getting cabin fever from being stuck in the house for 2 days!

Hoping we are on road to recovery - thanks again for replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

bet she will be back to normal sat

as stated dogs paws heal very quickly because of the increased blood supply to their legs check a dogs pads after walking on snow/ice cold now hot again 1 min later wish mine were like that stop fretting she will be fine i have 5 hunting springers always getting cuts never seen an infection once washed daily in salt water

Advertisement