Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Dent needs Repair....

• 25-10-2012 2:49pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A neighbour did this to my car earlier in the month - just what I need. :mad:

I was assuming this wouldn't be a big job, that the dent would just pop out, but the first quote I got said I'd need a respray on the wing afterwards (circa €300 all in).

Anyone any thoughts on whether this is necessary, or where to go in South Dublin for a decent job? I don't want concours - they can leave the rust patch to me!

Cheers.

frontleft1_Small.jpeg

frontleft2_Small.jpeg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I'd let the neighbour worry about the 300 quid.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'd let the neighbour worry about the 300 quid.
    I'd rather not hump them if I can avoid it. :)

Also, I'd rather not have one shiny wing and a 29 yr old paintjob everywhere else.

Dades wrote: »
    I'd rather not hump them if I can avoid it. :)

Also, I'd rather not have one shiny wing and a 29 yr old paintjob everywhere else.

Like mine. Same side too. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Merrion

That's a big dent - what did he hit it with, artillery ?

Try Hill Motors - http://www.goldenpages.ie/hill-motors-blackrock/1/

Thanks, I used Hill Motors before on my old SL and they did great work. Found them rather pricey though.

At this stage probably worth spinning down to get a quote, however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭trevorbrady

jack it up, remove the wheel, prop the car safely etc, stick an old pillow in against the inside of the bump, use the scissor jack to press it back out gently. send them the bill for €295. Everyone's a winner ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭steder

There is a guy in portloise that does dent removal might be worth a phone call and see what he says!
    There is a link to another forum where there talking about him.

http://isdc.ie/discussion/index.php?topic=27118.0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

I can't see you fixing that any way half decent without spraying the wing and where it is you might have to fade it in to the door , bonnet and front panel to get it the new paint to blend in either that or a long shot ,try and find a secondhand wing in the same colour.

Conflicting suggestions!
    Am going to drive to get another quote on Tuesday and see how I get on.
    Thanks, all.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ianofitz

If youre still looking for someone, theres O'Flaherty Motors on Richmond Road in Fairview. Hes does a good job but im not sure on the price. Give him a shout :
    http://www.goldenpages.ie/o-flaherty-motors-dublin-city-D3/

• Advertisement

Thanks iano, after getting a quote today I'm dropping it in to Austin Hill on Monday.

Looks like I'm getting part respray after all. Have decided to get a crease in the other wing sorted at the same time, too. Gonna need to buff the hood up something shiny when I get it back!

Thanks iano, after getting a quote today I'm dropping it in to Austin Hill on Monday.

Looks like I'm getting part respray after all. Have decided to get a crease in the other wing sorted at the same time, too. Gonna need to buff the hood up something shiny when I get it back!

Going that far might as well ask em to compound the hood to bring back the colour

bbsrs wrote: »
    Going that far might as well ask em to compound the hood to bring back the colour
    Is that something they could do in their paint shop?

I voiced my concerns about the difference in finishes and he suggested a good valet would go a long way to hiding it. I might mention it on Monday, though. :)

Is that something they could do in their paint shop?

I voiced my concerns about the difference in finishes and he suggested a good valet would go a long way to hiding it. I might mention it on Monday, though. :)

Well after they paint the wings they will have to compound them to flatten out the paint before polishing with wax so you could ask them them to compound and wax the whole car , basically compound is slightly abrasive and removes a tiny layer of paint restoring the paint to nearer its original colour by removing any fade due to weathering. Yes any paint / body shop can compound a car. So you have a better chance of the new paint matching the old and also the painter can't fob you off with the colour doesn't match because the old paint is faded.

2 hours should be enough time for a quick compound and wax with a buffer.

Alternatively you could give it to a detailer who would spend far more time , cleaning , compounding it a few times with different grades of compound and then using a very high quality wax to finish it but you could expect to pay €300 euros for a full paint detail and unless a car has is in A1 condition it's probably not worth a full detail.

Cheers, bbsrs.

I'll put it to the guys on Monday when I bring her in, and get a quote if it's something they might do. :)

Got my car back from Austin in Hill Motors this morning.
    Very happy - a great job was done on both wings.

And after I mentioned it to them, they even did some gratis work on the rest of the paintwork (exactly what, I don't know) so it wouldn't look so tired in contrast to the newly done wings. :)

It's a bit grubby from the workshop still but looking forward tot getting the sponge out on Saturday!

photo_2_Small_6.jpg

photo_1_Small_1.jpg

photo_3_Small_2.jpg

Looks well. Nice job.

Looks like they did a nice compound and wax on the rest of the car too , good job. Every cloud has a silver lining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

ianofitz wrote: »
    If youre still looking for someone, theres O'Flaherty Motors on Richmond Road in Fairview. Hes does a good job but im not sure on the price. Give him a shout :
    http://www.goldenpages.ie/o-flaherty-motors-dublin-city-D3/[/QUOTE]

perhaps slightly dearer than some places but well worth it, do a great job as well

Advertisement