Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Responsibility of parents, Warning, Some of the Q's are unpleasent

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

mel1 wrote: »
    Im delighted for your compassion but im afraid in circumstances where a heinous crime has been comitted by a child I dont believe there can be any rehabilation. So what then? Fine jailing the parents wont solve that problem.

And i also dont think adults of that nature can be rehabalitated either, im sure they have the capabality to choose wheather they repeat the crime or not but i think the compulsion (as a grown person) out ways any sence of morality for those people!

But that is only my opinion.

Execute them?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭mel1

old hippy wrote: »
    Execute them?

That didnt come from my mouth.
    So that is your answer then!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Im delighted for your compassion but im afraid in circumstances where a heinous crime has been comitted by a child I dont believe there can be any rehabilation. So what then? Fine jailing the parents wont solve that problem.

And i also dont think adults of that nature can be rehabalitated either, im sure they have the capabality to choose wheather they repeat the crime or not but i think the compulsion (as a grown person) out ways any sence of morality for those people!

But that is only my opinion.

With all due respect Mel none of us here are experts so I don't think we can say for sure if these kids can be "fixed" or not.

As you say yourself jailing the parents doesn't solve things so why do it?

Sorry folks gotta go now! Things to do and all that!

Maybe we should just put this down to each to their own opinion!

I hope i did not offend anyone, and eviltwin, thanks for your input, you certinatly have a unique perspective on the subject as i dont know anyone in your position and i will take all you said on board. Was just courious of other peoples opinion! Any got many great replys.

Later!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

That didnt come from my mouth.
    So that is your answer then!

No, it's me being sarcastic. It's sad that you appear to be the perfect, caring parent on one hand but have no faith in the rehabilitation of young people :(

• Advertisement

old hippy wrote: »
    No, it's me being sarcastic. It's sad that you appear to be the perfect, caring parent on one hand but have no faith in the rehabilitation of young people :(

If you can find some real statistics that rehabilation works for indiviuaduls who have commited terrible crimes, to a greater extent, please feel free to have me eat my own words! I have no problem with that!

Its just my belief!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

[/B]

Second time to answer that question!

You have not answered the question at all. You are willing to accept that a "mental defect" may mean a parent's positive influence is not enough to stop poor behaviour in their children and you have said that eviltwin's opinion of "something not forming properly in someone's brain" is such a mental defect - but that, by definition, is all mental defects.

I think you'll find that a huge majority of prisoners convicted of serious crimes (violence, sexual assault, murder etc) have such mental defects. So in that case you would be excusing the parents in nearly all cases.

When you think about the things that can "go wrong" in the womb to having a special need or having a birth mark its pretty obvious there are some babies being born whose brains aren't working the way the should, perhaps they are the ones who grow up to be the serial killers/rapists etc in sociey[/QUOTE]

Would you agree tough, that other than being born with a mental defect that children are mainly infulenced by there immidate family/ guardians?

Once again, for the third time, i am going to tell you Eviltwins statement was the only thing i was refering to as a mental defect. No more, no less. My conversation was only directed at him at the time towards the post he made.
    So please dont ask for a forth explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

No, I won't bother as it's clear you are not interested in a discussion at all, nor are you willing to clarify your opinons or statements. I'm sorry I wasted my time trying to engage with you at all. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

I come from an alcoholic father, a controlling mother and all my clothes came from charity shops. I moved away, and spent almost 7 years working for Ireland's biggest telecoms company, and have just left recently and went to work for another one. I am highly skilled in my field at 25 and have no issue finding work in it because I worked from the ground up, even though nowadays my particular field (sales) is hard to break into, and there are peopl in my training group a lot older and with letters after their name that cant do what I can do.

You would never guess to look or listen to me what I came from. Parents can only be held responsible for so long and after that the offspring takes responsibility. You can't hold parents responsible for all decisions made by their children because it's unfair. It's part of a learning process for kids to find out that actions have consequences for them and for others, but punishing the parents isn't right unless they are directly responsible because the child will end up in care and that's worse, especially if the kid is sociopathic or predatory and is being placed with other vulnerable kids. Behavioural assessment first and then make a decision based on that.

The son of the metalwork teacher was in my class in secondary and won awards for his metalwork project at junior and leaving cert level.

Our principal was a character witness at his trial when he was 19 after he was caught making bombs for the IRA and is doing 9 years.

Sometimes the people with the money are raised so far from any sort of pain That it doesn't exist for them. They don't concern themselves with it because they've never seen it or experienced it, and don't care if they cause it.

Generally when middle class commit crimes I find they are more calculated. There is no need or excuse for them to do it, if we were to follow the ops logic, they just do it coz they want to.

Sexual assault is now just a fine for some people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement