Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you miss about home?

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,459 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

djpbarry wrote: »
    I do wish RTE would take all that money they spend on Champions League and Premiership football and invest it in their own programming.

I don't know. A lot of people watch those. Maybe they should cut down on all the US imports they show during midday and show cheaper options.
    dd972 wrote: »
    What !! Get down the Circus Tavern in town and have some craic, or The Lass O'Gowrie or Odd Bar in The Northern Quarter, the list of cracking pubs and bars is endless, I'm guessing maybe you haven't been there long enough to make a few contacts.

I find Mancunians far more affable and friendly than poser Dubs and the misery guts who inhabit Englands south east.

No, definitely not. I might give those places a look though.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

No, definitely not. I might give those places a look though.
    Couple of good, friendly pubs in Manchester:

http://www.britonsprotection.co.uk
    http://www.marblebeers.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

turning into a Manc thread, this

The Marble Arch as mentioned in the link above is a belting boozer ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

djpbarry wrote: »
    Sure, but the point is the quality of services is going to be roughly proportional to tax paid (inefficiencies notwithstanding). We have more local services in the UK because we pay more for them.
    I don’t know about that – I find there are pros and cons to both. OECD metrics show them to be comparable.
    I won’t argue with that, even though the quality of BBC’s programming seems to be sliding over the last few years.

I do wish RTE would take all that money they spend on Champions League and Premiership football and invest it in their own programming.

All valid points, however the economies of scale which kick in for people in London provide far better value for money regarding tax spent tbh.

Advertisement