Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bon Jovi Tour 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 biggigfan

I know Springsteen has always been popular but my point is that he seems far more popular in IRELAND than ever these days. Ten years ago he would have played one sold out gig here every few years. Now he's here almost every year and is doing five gigs in the one year and it seems like almost everyone in the country loves him. You can't turn on the radio without hearing at least one of his more obvious songs being played these days. Of course there's nothing wrong with people loving Bruce because he's always been a quality live act. I just hope he doesn't become another U2 (Overplayed and Over hyped). At least he can still make a good tune but I will say that I taught his last album was very poor by his standards and a far cry from his 'Glory Days' eg. Born to Run, Darkness, Nebraska etc. Back to the the topic of Bon Jovi, I realise that different people have different tastes and that's fine but I'm actually interested in knowing are people not sick of paying a fortune to hear the same old overplayed songs every time? When was the last time they released a good album? I know many old bands trade off their past glories but at least most of them don't act like they are still just as good and relevant as they once were. 'Because we Can' sounds like more egomania from Jon Bon Jovi and I'm actually kind of hoping it doesn't sell well just so he's proven wrong. Maybe then he'll realise that he can't just keep expecting to sell out rip off concerts on the back of a handful of overplayed songs that were made almost thirty years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

biggigfan wrote: »
    I know Springsteen has always been popular but my point is that he seems far more popular in IRELAND than ever these days. Ten years ago he would have played one sold out gig here every few years. Now he's here almost every year and is doing five gigs in the one year and it seems like almost everyone in the country loves him. You can't turn on the radio without hearing at least one of his more obvious songs being played these days. Of course there's nothing wrong with people loving Bruce because he's always been a quality live act. I just hope he doesn't become another U2 (Overplayed and Over hyped). At least he can still make a good tune but I will say that I taught his last album was very poor by his standards and a far cry from his 'Glory Days' eg. Born to Run, Darkness, Nebraska etc. Back to the the topic of Bon Jovi, I realise that different people have different tastes and that's fine but I'm actually interested in knowing are people not sick of paying a fortune to hear the same old overplayed songs every time? When was the last time they released a good album? I know many old bands trade off their past glories but at least most of them don't act like they are still just as good and relevant as they once were. 'Because we Can' sounds like more egomania from Jon Bon Jovi and I'm actually kind of hoping it doesn't sell well just so he's proven wrong. Maybe then he'll realise that he can't just keep expecting to sell out rip off concerts on the back of a handful of overplayed songs that were made almost thirty years ago.

People like different music. Get over it. Why would you want Neil Young (or all the other bands you named that nobody can say anything bad about it or else theyll be high horsed by someone) to sell out?? It's not like he's not well known. I'm not a fan of Neil Youngs more recent stuff as it happens, but still, get off the high horse. Band in playing their best known songs shocker. Do you expect a band to not think theyre any good anymore??

• Registered Users Posts: 8 claptrap

Corholio wrote: »
    People like different music. Get over it. Why would you want Neil Young (or all the other bands you named that nobody can say anything bad about it or else theyll be high horsed by someone) to sell out?? It's not like he's not well known. I'm not a fan of Neil Youngs more recent stuff as it happens, but still, get off the high horse. Band in playing their best known songs shocker. Do you expect a band to not think theyre any good anymore??
    High Horse? He said: "I realise that different people have different tastes and that's fine but I'm actually interested in knowing are people not sick of paying a fortune to hear the same old overplayed songs every time?"
    He wasn't saying he expected them to think they were crap. Its obvious enough he thinks Jon is in love with himself and still thinks he's in the biggest band in the world. Jon does come across as very arrogant. I think he'd like the rest of the bands to sell out because he likes them but I don't actually see any mention of him saying that at all anyway! Now I'm a fan of Bon Jovi and have seen them three times but I won't be going to this gig because Ill be going to Neil who I personally think is in a different league all together.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Kaiser Chiefs and Bush are among the bands supporting Bon Jovi when they headline Hyde Park in London later this year.

Bon Jovi have been announced as the first headliners for a brand new series of events in Hyde Park with the rockers performing on July 5 as part of Barclaycard British Summer Time – a 10-day long event across two weekends from June 28 to July 7. There will be six concerts hosted in that period, taking place on June 28, 29 and 30 and July 5, 6 and 7.

It has today (March 28) been confirmed that Kaiser Chiefs will be one of the support bands with '90s Britrock band Bush also performing on the day. Elsewhere in the July 5 line-up will be The Futureheads, Rival Sons, Little Barrie and Charlie Simpson.
    Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/bon-jovi/69461#8CS8KrBhwyskE3CR.99

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

Thoroughly disgusted by that...............

there has to be someone more decent than the fckung Kaiser Chiefs.

Is it 2003 all over again??

• Advertisement

Bon Jovi guitarist Richie Sambora has bowed out of their current tour.

The axeman was absent as the 'Livin' on a Prayer' band played in Alberta, Canada, last night on their Because We Can tour, and has been counted out of an indefinite number of future shows.

A statement on the band's website read: "Due to personal issues, Richie Sambora will not be performing on this upcoming leg. All shows will go on as scheduled."

The reason for Richie's departure has not been given, but it appears to be unplanned, based on comments made by lead singer Jon Bon Jovi during the show.

After taking to the stage late, Jon told the crowd: "I had two choices - pack up and go home or give you everything I got.

"Richie Sambora won't be performing for a while. If there's ever a night I need you, it's tonight, Calgary!"

Jon reportedly only found out about Richie's absence at 3:30pm that afternoon.

During the show, Alberta radio station Q107's Jeff and Sarah Show tweeted: "Bon Jovi 45 mins late. Must b teaching an intern how 2 play Richie Sambora parts. Sambora not playing 4 personal reasons (sic)."

They later added: "BonJovi is dishing out after rocky start sans Sambora. Says Sambora IS NOT in jail or hospital (sic).

"BonJovi calling fans up on stage 2 play air guitar since Richie Sambora is MIA (sic)."

Another Twitter user said Jon had promised to make things up to fans by donating to a local shelter.

User Mookalicious wrote: "Richie bailed for personal reasons. To make it up, BJ donates $100,000 to #yyc [airport code for Alberta area] shelter."

It is unclear if Richie will rejoin the tour when it heads to South Africa and then Europe in May.

In 2011 Richie was left out of dates on the band's touring schedule to attend rehab.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

If there's a risk that he won't be doing the European dates, Sambora's departure will surely now put an end to any remaining trickle of sales for Slane. This is almost bordering on "Hamlet without the Prince" territory.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Not impressed, but it happened in 2011, and came back three or four nights before the RDS gig.......

Think it could be his fathers anniversary or some such......just that its always this time of the year he pulls out..........

SLANE Castle owner Lord Henry Mouncharles believes Bon Jovi guitarist Richie Sambora will likely be back on stage for the summer leg of the band's world tour.

Bon Jovi swiftly moved to reassure fans their 'Because We Can' world tour was going ahead as planned after guitarist Richie Sambora pulled out of a gig in Canada for "personal reasons".

"He is out of the current leg of the tour. The latest news that I have is that he will be back for the summer," Mr Mountcharles told the Irish Independent. ". . . which would mean he would be back for Slane."

Bon Jovi are scheduled to take to the stage at Slane Castle on Saturday, June 15.

Mr Mountcharles said the band were proving a "pretty big draw".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Coronas, Bressie & Ham Sandwich announced as support acts! Can't see any if them contributing to increased ticket sales!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

jamieh wrote: »
    Coronas, Bressie & Ham Sandwich announced as support acts! Can't see any if them contributing to increased ticket sales!

I seriously hate the coronas! I think I know one of Bressies songs and who is ham sandwich?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

jaysus, thats a terrible line up..
    Bressie, I had a listen to his new album, shockingly bad and the mans an idiot.
    Anyway back on thread, loads of mates going to this, was considering it but definitely won't be going now.
    I thought slane was about good acts?
    Surely they could have came up with better support bands?
    Kaiser cheifs and bush in the uk and look at the trash we get..

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭corm500

Surely that is the worst Slane Line up ever Oh how the once mighty Slane concert has diminished over the years. When you look at previous support acts such as Foo Fighters, Rem, Santana, Robbie Williams, Oasis, Iggy Pop,Elbow, Prodigy, Faith No More, RHCP, Pearl Jam.........this year Bressie. Terrible value for money. So glad I didnt bother with this gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

crazyderk wrote: »
    I seriously hate the coronas! I think I know one of Bressies songs and who is ham sandwich?
    Ham Sandwich are pretty good. not really sure if their enthusiastic stage show would work well on a massive outdoor stage though.
    the other 2 make very popular **** pop-rock, so the average Bon Jovi hits "fan"/Slane day tripper will probably love them, or already loves them from 2FM/TodayFM, or wherever plays their music.

pretty poor lineup though compared to previous ones. even though plenty of the support acts before made crap music, they were much bigger than the ones this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Shando316

What a ****ing shambles of an announcement.

Id say there will be one more big act added since there is usually 4 or 5 support acts in recent years . Can see The Script playing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Id say there will be one more big act added since there is usually 4 or 5 support acts in recent years . Can see The Script playing

Agreed!! I would also expect one more act. The Script are on before Bon Jovi the following night at Isle of Wight so strong possibility I reckon.

Other possible acts; Emeli Sande, Ellie Goulding, Kodaline

i was of the same opinion, but after talking with my mates, i dont think there will be.

this is it, and to say im not happy, is an understatement. but the point was made, that Bon Jovi arent the force they used to be (i agree). Maybe mountcharles thought about people who listen to commercial radio, who like bon jovi but wouldnt pay the bucks just to see them. throw in a few irish regulars off mainstream radio to bump the tickets, as they fall into the "pop" genre, rather than "classic rock" now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Mount charles has no say. He rents a field to mcd simple as. Ticket sales ate going fine id say otherwise they would have added a major support act. More important does anyone know the truth about richie sambora? Is he gone from the band for good? Or will he be back?

Depends on where you look........

One half of the Arguments says he's relapsed and back in rehab.

The other half says Jons wife, Dorothea, said she wanted the tour to be clean and a family environment..........problem being that Sambora is always drunk, and always has a couple of Playboy Bunnies / Ex Bunnies / Airheads knocking about with him, which lead to the rumor Jon sacked him.

Im still of the opinion we'll be seeing him @ Slane.

• Advertisement

hopefully he will be back as its not bon jovi without him and i cant see them touring Europe without him, Phil x apparently only playing with them for this month i read so maybe that's a good sign?

jossnjuice wrote: »
    i was of the same opinion, but after talking with my mates, i dont think there will be.

this is it, and to say im not happy, is an understatement. but the point was made, that Bon Jovi arent the force they used to be (i agree). Maybe mountcharles thought about people who listen to commercial radio, who like bon jovi but wouldnt pay the bucks just to see them. throw in a few irish regulars off mainstream radio to bump the tickets, as they fall into the "pop" genre, rather than "classic rock" now.

But those support acts wont sell that many extra tickets though someone like Script even though not a massive fan will def sell a lot more tickets. If the script dont no a big headline outdoor show this year id say they will be booked for Slane

i still reckon ticket sales wont be much of an issue, if it was really that bad mcd would be pushing a lot harder and there would be a major support act and they seam to be selling well all over the place,so i cant see slane being any different.

Id say if there is going to be any more additions they will prob leave it till sometime in May to announce to just get the last push for tickets

any word on richie sambora? will he be back for europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Dont really understand the support abuse, Coronas deserved the slot, Ham Sandwich are one of the best live bands this country has ever produced. Delighted they're finally getting the spotlight!

Just lose Bressie and its a great lineup

If Coronas deserve 2nd on the bill at Slane why are they 6th on the bill in London? Behind Kaiser Chiefs, Bush, Futureheads, Charlie Sampson. It's a rip off of the Irish punters plain and simple. The Coronas, Bressie and Ham Sandwich were probably signed up for a round of drinks and a packet of crisps. Cheapo support acts = more money in the coffers of the promoters. As long as you accept it they will keep doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Dont really understand the support abuse, Coronas deserved the slot, Ham Sandwich are one of the best live bands this country has ever produced. Delighted they're finally getting the spotlight!

I saw Ham Sandwich at EP last year, while I thought their cover of Donna Summer's 'I feel Love' was fantastic (their female vocalist was very good) but once yer man with the 'un-cool just to be cool' jumper took control of the microphone I walked out of there and I wasn't alone. Why does he feel he has to shout instructions at the crowd during songs? So annoying. It wasn't a feckin wedding gig:mad:
    Not sure about one of the best live acts this country has ever produced.

corm500 wrote: »
    If Coronas deserve 2nd on the bill at Slane why are they 6th on the bill in London? Behind Kaiser Chiefs, Bush, Futureheads, Charlie Sampson. It's a rip off of the Irish punters plain and simple. The Coronas, Bressie and Ham Sandwich were probably signed up for a round of drinks and a packet of crisps. Cheapo support acts = more money in the coffers of the promoters. As long as you accept it they will keep doing it.

Because Coronas are bigger in Ireland than the UK

• Advertisement

Because Coronas are bigger in Ireland than the UK

Ok then if that's the case can we expect to see Kaiser Chiefs and Bush further down the bill at Slane. Somehow I think the answer will be no.

Advertisement