Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bon Jovi Tour 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Large numbers of Irish concert goers drunk? I don't believe you.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

I agree. The young crowd were behaving great, I mean late teens/early twenties (that age group surprised me at even being there!) I'm 32 and thought I was a "young" fan

But on the way to the gig and just inside, I saw so many men in their forties hammered. One man was on the grass crawling! This was at the coronas so Bon jovi hadn't even come on.

They'll wake up this morning not even remembering the gig

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I agree. There are a lot of people who go to concerts and get tipsy or even drunk but pleasantly so where they have a good time and are able to at least piece together the evening. But I will never fathomed why people go to concerts and before they even get to the gate they need help to stand.

I think the other thing is just we are all nearly immune to the idiot late teen/early 20's who can't handle their drink. But it was odd, for me at least to see so many of the older crowd acting that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭jacknife

Did they scan everyone who had printed out tickets someone told me they bought 2 tickets and printed out an extra 2 and had no problems getting everyone in?

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

jacknife wrote: »
    Did they scan everyone who had printed out tickets someone told me they bought 2 tickets and printed out an extra 2 and had no problems getting everyone in?

Mine were definitely scanned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Large numbers of Irish concert goers drunk? I don't believe you.

I'm partial to a pint or two myself, but it was the people who you'd think would know better that had turned up the booze-o-meter to 11 making a show of themselves.

Alcoholics Anonymous and Operation Transformation should have had a stall there yesterday!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea seen a good bit of the oul drunk peeps around early in the day . Now i had a drink or 2 ,usually i have a few more ha but i know my limit especially at a gig because i want to be able to enjoy and remember the gig .
    There were a few around me along with some guy with his top off(along with his friends) and this girl told him to put a top on etc but he got right up in her face and she was not backing down , but her friend just tried to break it up or something but then he got pushed by the lad with no top on and he was greeted with a nice slap or 2 from the girl in the face until everyone around him basically told him to F**k Off

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

thought it was a very good gig - just a pity Sambora wasn't up there or it might have been awesome, Dry County needs him to rip off the solos, though phil x acquitted himself well, still good to see Bobby Bandieras given some solos highlight was 'Have a Nice Day' looked great from up on the hill - very happy the crowds turned up in force and the performance was up there - that will shut up the doom and gloom merchants on here the kast few weeks!!

it got a bit messy with the drunks and they were definitely in the 30s/40s age bracket but it didnt ruin the concert for me

found getting in and out handy enough was in carpark 2, only a few minute walk to the event, and had figured a few side roads to get in and out with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Ive been thinking about this, when we hear or talk about the drunken Irish, I sort of wonder do we set ourselves up for a fall. I mean on the one hand there were a lot of people vissibly drinking before the gig, but on the other hand, there was only one vendor of alcohol in the gig, Heineken and they were very much making the most of their monopoly at 6 euros a pint, and 6 euros for a miniature. Considering they were checking for alcohol on the way in, is it any wonder people were getting liquered up before hand. A bottle of vodka in a convenience shop is about 20 euro, 6 beers(half of which you spill on the way back to your seat ) was 36 euros.

Ive been to gigs on the continent where they were practically giving the beer away, so there was no need to drink before hand, and everyone got merrily drunk together, not sh!t-faced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Sadly i was 21 got far to drunk and pretty annoyed everyone in deeply sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I have to say I had a brilliant day. I was looking forward to this for so long, and it definitely lived up to my expectations.
    The trouble and delays with entry seemed to be from the car park side, we went on Dublin Bus, got to slane round 2, were let in round 3. the security split the men and women for the searches which was like a comedy sketch, as you had all the men lined up inside the gate waiting for their women to get through, and a steward on a megaphone shouting "Move inside the gate lads, ye can collect yer women inside!" - gas, like.
    I wasnt drinking but I did think it was ridiculous that Heinekin was the only thing on offer. they made an absolute fortune, Id say.

as for the main event, I have seen Bon Jovi at the old Landsdowne Rd in 2003, Croker in 2008? and Punchestown round 2010 (my dates may be wrong) and they were great, but Slane was just amazing!!!!
    I was so impressed with the sound quality. I was delighted with the songs, all my absolute favs, even Captain Crash and the Beauty Queen from Mars! and Always! made my night. they rarely play that live, so it was a real treat. and Dry County!!! ah! amazing! Im still on a Bon Jovi high :D

I agree with above posters, majority or very drunk people I saw were in their late 30s and up. though two girls in their late 20s, who were hammered cause a bit of trouble beside us, security guys were great, pulled them out straight away, and checked everyone else was alright.
    Dublin Bus was great, was back in Dublin for 1am.

20/10 for me :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

fist time at a bon jovi gig and thought it was great, my only disappointment was that they didn't play bed of roses, would it be a song they usually play, its one of my favourite songs ever

the amount of drunken women in their 40s/50s also shocked me, me and my girlfriends, both in our late 20s couldn't believe the amount of older people that stumbled into us during the gig

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

Yesterday was my first Slane experience and I was genuinely so impressed with the security and the general organisation of the event. We took the Dublin Bus shuttle from the city which itself was great. Got to Slane just before 4, went straight for the entrance, no delays and no hassles. Managed to find a spot right at the barrier of the general standing area so we stayed glued to it for the entire day! There were a few people pushing and shoving behind us just as Bon Jovi started, the security guy in front saw and pulled them out straight away. After the gig we walked back to the Dublin Bus pick-up point, had zero delays, and were back in Dublin by 1am.

As for the gig itself, I had an amazing time. So much so, that I've completely lost my voice today! I was impressed by the crowds, especially considering the amount of negative press the gig had gotten. They were saying today that they could have had 20,000 more people there, but I genuinely don't know where they would have put them. It looked packed to me. The band were great, played all the favourites, as well as some new ones. I would have liked to have heard Bed of Roses but that's probably the only negative thing I can say! Will definitely be going to their next Irish concert for sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Was a great day alright. We were soo lucky with the weather. Pity they didn't play more of their older stuff. Only complaint was the distance to the beer tent. As far as I could see there was only one large area and alot of walking to get to it. Thought they should have a few more bar areas spread around. My Missus said the toilets were terrible for cueing. I can never understand why women's bathrooms can't be made 10 times bigger than the lads as there is always a massive cue going into them. Other than that was a great day. Was impressed that the bar staff were donating their wages to charity. Also impressed that the entire village was spotless this morning. No litter at all, and at 11 last night the place was covered in trash , as you would expect. They must have worked through the night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭roadmaster

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/slick-bon-jovi-leave-slane-living-on-a-prayer-1.1430554

i wonder did the muppet that wrote this was he even there? because from what i saw it didn't wash over the crowd and everybody was having a good time. But then again the Irish times and its gloom and doom merchants where against bon jovi playing slane from day one and would prefer that people should listen to music only that they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Bon Jovi at tonight's Isle of Wight festival is currently live on Absolute Radio, Sky channel 0107...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Girlfriend got her phone robbed up there, I wish unspeakable horror on whoever took it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

mdwexford wrote: »
    Girlfriend got her phone robbed up there, I wish unspeakable horror on whoever took it.

Was it robbed or did she lose it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Was it robbed or did she lose it?

Robbed, was in zip pocket part of her bag which was a small bag round the front of her.

Went to get it and zip was open and phone gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

roadmaster wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/slick-bon-jovi-leave-slane-living-on-a-prayer-1.1430554

i wonder did the muppet that wrote this was he even there? because from what i saw it didn't wash over the crowd and everybody was having a good time. But then again the Irish times and its gloom and doom merchants where against bon jovi playing slane from day one and would prefer that people should listen to music only that they like.

The fella should be embarrassed if that's his review. Very little about the performance, just a couple of cheap jibes about Jon's teeth (which are very white to be fair) and a slip of the tongue re Dublin.

Like you say, the Times is just pursuing an agenda which they've done from the off with this gig. It's through gritted teeth where he has to say that Bon Jovi are slick and have their act honed. Personally I thought they put on a tremendous show and few musicians can work a crowd the way Jon does. Great showman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

The missus was at this and said the band were amazing.

Only downside was, the tickemaster site was down for printing tickets from last Wednesday till today (I think)
    She had to walk for an hour and a half to get the tickets from the box office after much aggro with a female guard who didnt want to let her into the box office area?

Apart from that she said it was amazing, nearly 3 hours is impressive.
    I wouldnt be a big fan but fair play to JBJ for putting on an amazing show under difficult circumstances..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

The muppet(good word usage), was very obviously either in the VIP area, or in the seated area and had a good look at the plebs wandering in. No name on the article. Says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

syklops wrote: »
    The muppet(good word usage), was very obviously either in the VIP area, or in the seated area and had a good look at the plebs wandering in. No name on the article. Says it all.

Tony Clayton-Lea

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Muffinman1

Dtp79 wrote: »
    Was a great day alright. We were soo lucky with the weather. Pity they didn't play more of their older stuff. Only complaint was the distance to the beer tent. As far as I could see there was only one large area and alot of walking to get to it. Thought they should have a few more bar areas spread around. My Missus said the toilets were terrible for cueing. I can never understand why women's bathrooms can't be made 10 times bigger than the lads as there is always a massive cue going into them. Other than that was a great day. Was impressed that the bar staff were donating their wages to charity. Also impressed that the entire village was spotless this morning. No litter at all, and at 11 last night the place was covered in trash , as you would expect. They must have worked through the night
    There was loads of bathrooms for women and 3 seperate bar areas. And no toilets designated for women all cubicles were for both genders men had options of urinal baths too

• Registered Users Posts: 38,424 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i wonder where Bon Jovi will play next time when they return to Ireland. ??

will there be a slane 2 or will it be an RDS return or even a show in the o2.

If Richie Doesnt come back than will it be the end of bon jovi

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭starWave

Muffinman1 wrote: »
    There was loads of bathrooms for women and 3 seperate bar areas. And no toilets designated for women all cubicles were for both genders men had options of urinal baths too

The bar to the left of the stage was far busier than the one at the top of the hill. No queue at all at that one, and there was another one on the right side, but wasn't near that one.

What are urinal baths? The trough where men line up? From what I saw, the men were using the fence down at the river, and it was all women queuing at the portaloos. A fight nearly broke out too, when one lady was unhappy with the amount of time, two other ladies were spending in one of them. Security were quick on the scene to sort it out though.

Also surprisingly, there was two or three women using the fence as a bathroom too, quite ungracefully, as there friends hid them with a jacket.

One lady seemed to be able to pee on the fence like a man. She must have had some technological device, as she was getting loads of high fives.

Saw a lot of people getting the pints into them, but a lot of people towards the back of the golden circle could have done with a drink or two to cheer themselves up. Was better when they let in a few more towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭roadmaster

http://www.tourphotographer.com/p/20130615_slane/20130616_slane_castle_panoramic_3_65

Can anyone tell me as per the irish times piece how is this only 50k people?

PTH2009 wrote: »
    i wonder where Bon Jovi will play next time when they return to Ireland. ??

will there be a slane 2 or will it be an RDS return or even a show in the o2.

If Richie Doesnt come back than will it be the end of bon jovi

Aviva? I can see Richie not coming back for the rest of the tour , then when it comes to next tour/album he comes back . Would be big publicity aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

http://www.tourphotographer.com/p/20130615_slane/20130616_slane_castle_panoramic_3_65

Can anyone tell me as per the irish times piece how is this only 50k people?

It's not. The Times were on their high horses early on saying that Bon Jovi were the wrong choice for Slane because they didn't have enough pull. They were saying the same a couple of weeks back.

So rather than admit that they got it wrong and Bon Jovi are one of the few bands who can pull a decent crowd for Slane, they just peddle what is a blatant lie.

The review of the gig itself is laughable. Basically, he's saying that no matter how well Bon Jovi performed, he was always going to write it off. Even if he doesn't like the music, which he clearly doesn't, he could at least acknowledge what a great frontman Jon Bon Jovi is. Pure charisma. Whenever he wanted to move the crowd, he did it very, very skillfully. It was a masterclass from that point of view that I've seen few other musicians manage.

They also put in over 3 hours and worked hard for the entire set. How many bands do that nowadays?

It's much easier to write about white teeth and let your misguded pre-conceptions get in the way of the truth than to acknowledge that you might have got it wrong though.

• Advertisement

Irish times also gave Robbie Williams a similar review , I wasnt at RW but any report ive heard it was also a very good gig

Advertisement