Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda and Ardee Walking and Cycling Strategy

Options
  • 25-10-2012 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

I found this on the Drogheda Borough Council website and i thought i'd post this here. They are looking for a strategy for the future of both towns for both cycling and walking. To help you can give your feedback by survey, post or email. The deadline is 7th November 2012.

Its worth giving your ideas for the interest of the towns.
    Walking and Cycling Strategies for the Towns of Drogheda and Ardee 2012

The people of Drogheda and Ardee are being invited to participate in the
    development of Walking and Cycling Strategies for the Towns of Drogheda and
    Ardee. This is an important piece of work which will potentially change how the
    towns look, and how people travel around them, over the next few years.

As part of the Government’s Smarter Travel Initiative, Louth Local
    Authorities have taken up the challenge for Drogheda and Ardee to become Active
    Travel Towns, and to put in place a range of measures and supports which will
    facilitate more people to use sustainable and healthier forms of transport for
    more of their daily journeys.

The first step of the process is to develop Walking & Cycling Strategies
    for the towns. Consultants have been engaged to develop these strategies. As
    part of this process the public in the two towns are being consulted regarding
    their needs and what they would like to see provided in their towns.

It is intended that these Strategies will form a blueprint for a number of
    initiatives and projects in the coming years, and will enable both Councils to
    apply to draw down funding from the Government to implement such initiatives
    identified by the Strategies.

The Councils are currently seeking views and comments from the general
    public. If you would prefer to have your say electronically, online surveys are
    available on Survey Monkey through the following links and the surveys will be
    open until Wednesday November 7th 2012.

If you live or work in Drogheda use the following link:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DCRSQLK

If you live or work in Ardee use the following link:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DJNMCZ5

Alternatively submissions and observations on any matter you consider
    important in relation to the Development of Walking and Cycling Strategies for
    the Towns of Drogheda and Ardee may be made in relation to either town by
    Wednesday 7th November 2012 in the ways listed hereunder:

By post to;

Drogheda Borough Council

Fair Street, Drogheda, County Louth

Written Submissions should be clearly marked Walking/ Cycle Strategy

Ardee Town Council

Mid Louth Civic Services Centre, Fairgreen, Ardee, County Louth

Written Submissions should be clearly marked Walking/ Cycle Strategy

Or

By email to the designated email addresses for Drogheda and Ardee on Louth
    Local Authorities website.

Ardeewalkcycle2012@louthcoco.ie

Or

Droghedawalkcycle2012@droghedaboro.ie

Written submissions and observations should be signed and addressed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Yeah I have one - don't do to Drogheda what the idiots in the Council did to Dundalk. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

yeah seen that i filled out the questionaire now if only they act on this and make drogheda a safe place for walkers and cyclists,
    the drogheda canal is crying out to be developed for cycling and walking .
    ah might as well dream here as in bed.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭xbox gamer

I thought there was the go ahead for the cycle/walk path to the Battle of the Boyne site. I only wish they would continue it the whole way to Navan like the path ways in the Netherlands. There are paths along the river most of the way and it would be a great tourist catch/inititive to link the two towns. Ah well, we can still dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

yeah seen that i filled out the questionaire now if only they act on this and make drogheda a safe place for walkers and cyclists,

filled it out as well fsl and made a point of mentioning the battle of the boyne site and the ramparts /canal area pleny of times

yeah me too hopefully it will be taking notice off but i doubt it to be honest ,
    a major tourist attraction just waiting to be developed .
    would not be an easy task but only thing the route is already there ,
    look at the newry canal 20 miles lomg its only 17 mile to navan and probably the most scenic route in the country.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

Just did one for Ardee - MTB track/trail for old railway line to Dromin Junction - Develop old N1 with dedicated cycle/hard shoulder - there must be big estates who would consider mtb trails - a coffee shop/bike hire would provide revenue streams surely. I want to try the route over around Westport.

I often think of the Grand Union canal system in England and the lock systems with their pubs and guesthouses along the way. We have so much untapped potential in Ireland ... but no politicians or public figures withforsight or imagination to propose/develop them. Will we ever see a velodrome or cyclepark such as that proposed by the Cuchulain CC ? I'll probably be too old by the time any of it happens !!!

Thanks X Box Gamer for the post

not in our lifetime mores the pity,if any of these councillors ever care to take the walk from drogheda to navan along the river it might just open there eyes up to developing tourism in ireland .
    but yeah how do you get thes guys out of there warm office chairs to even take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

not in our lifetime mores the pity,if any of these councillors ever care to take the walk from drogheda to navan along the river it might just open there eyes up to developing tourism in ireland .
    but yeah how do you get thes guys out of there warm office chairs to even take a look.

Get rid of their state cars and get them on bikes :D

Who do we petition ? Minister of tourism/health/development & enterprise/transport - the Louth CC ... how did they get things rolling in Westport ? Like we have Cooley and Ravensdale, Drogheda to Navan Boyne and ex railway line, Kingscourt to Navan ex railway line ... We have Sean Kelly, Stephen Roche, Nico, Dan, Mr. Paul Kimmage ...dare I even mention Mr. McQuaid ... we should be breeding future Olympians & Tour de France/Classics winners, MTB champions ... or is it that as I get older I realise that I've wasted so much time and have become a dozy aul git wishing for things that are pie in the sky ... Victor ugsparky Meldrew :o

ugsparky wrote: »
    Get rid of their state cars and get them on bikes :D

Who do we petition ? Minister of tourism/health/development & enterprise/transport - the Louth CC ... how did they get things rolling in Westport ? Like we have Cooley and Ravensdale, Drogheda to Navan Boyne and ex railway line, Kingscourt to Navan ex railway line ... We have Sean Kelly, Stephen Roche, Nico, Dan, Mr. Paul Kimmage ...dare I even mention Mr. McQuaid ... we should be breeding future Olympians & Tour de France/Classics winners, MTB champions ... or is it that as I get older I realise that I've wasted so much time and have become a dozy aul git wishing for things that are pie in the sky ... Victor ugsparky Meldrew :o
    there is so many beautiful cycling routes around the boyne valley,i was cycling out by newgrange today and was thinking wouldn't it be great if bru na bonnia allowed cyclist over there bridge and out to rossnaree avoiding the deadly dangerious n51 road , but what are the chances of that happening, this route would also link up with the canal route ,but again it would never be allow ,a woman from oldbridge house stopped me one day because i haden't my 17 year old yorkshier terrier on a lead gave me a bit of guff about it, i told her listen love before you knew this place even existed i was walking these fields , but these are the people you have to contend with keep off the grass brigade :mad: yeah such a pity councillers don't get there act together and develop i guess if a band of auld fellas like us got together maybe someone would take note or maybe not.;)

i heard tonight that louth county council has gotten the green light and funds from the eec for this walkway and cycle path up and around the boyne canal route anyone got anymore info on that .
    great news if its true but i wont hold my breath.:cool:

• Advertisement

i heard tonight that louth county council has gotten the green light and funds from the eec for this walkway and cycle path up and around the boyne canal route anyone got anymore info on that .
    great news if its true but i wont hold my breath.:cool:

It was in this weeks Drogheda Independent that it is up to the Meath Co. Co. to do the work as it is in Meath and it should be completed in late 2013. Don't know where the Louth Co. Co. come in but the article said that they are gonna try and get a path/cycleway from Mornington tower, to Battle of the Boyne and onto Bru na Boinne.

Would love to see it done properly, but i wouldn't hold my breath.

to be honest i couldn't give a toss who does it as long as its done.
    i was cycling through slane on tuesday i was very temted to follow the river path heading towards donore, but as far as i know it only goes a short distance .what a major pity imagine if you could cycle from oldbridge to navan and see nothing only wildlife and beautiful scenery and not a car in sight HEAVEN :D

i was cycling through slane on tuesday i was very temted to follow the river path heading towards donore, but as far as i know it only goes a short distance.

Ye it only goes about 3-4km before you have to turn back, (walked it before). The other thing is at stackallen (walked it aswell), there is a walkway the whole way to Navan. It has super scenery, lonely laneway and plenty of potential. If only the Meath Co. Co. and Louth Co. Co. realised this.

Oldbridge is a huge draw from far and wide and with the new pathway, hopefully there is the potential to see it as an opportuntity to develop it further.:rolleyes:

xbox gamer wrote: »
    Ye it only goes about 3-4km before you have to turn back, (walked it before). The other thing is at stackallen (walked it aswell), there is a walkway the whole way to Navan. It has super scenery, lonely laneway and plenty of potential. If only the Meath Co. Co. and Louth Co. Co. realised this.

Oldbridge is a huge draw from far and wide and with the new pathway, hopefully there is the potential to see it as an opportuntity to develop it further.:rolleyes:
    if you had have gone the other way towards you can walk with a struggle as far as stackallan and then on to navan.
    many a time i walked from oldbridge to donore, just comes to another dead end at the bru na bonnia centre (sorry spelt that wrong ):o but what a walk just fantastic.

if you had have gone the other way towards you can walk with a struggle as far as stackallan and then on to navan.
    many a time i walked from oldbridge to donore, just comes to another dead end at the bru na bonnia centre (sorry spelt that wrong ):o but what a walk just fantastic.

Ye its super. If only i had millions (euro millions on tuesday!!) or the councils/government had a great idea between them to develop it.

In saying that any cycle or walk in the north east is super. The walks are everywhere and anywhere especially the beaches - stretches from balbriggan to annagassan. The cycles are scenic - Laytown, Bettystown, Mornington, Baltray, Clogherhead, Annagassan, etc, etc. I think everything just needs to be promoted in some way or another. :D

Advertisement