Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brownstown Lwr in Kildare missing from 1901 census?

• 25-10-2012 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

I can't find it! Looking for family of Peter McGlynn. He is in the 1911 census. Not in the 1901 census and even when I do a search for Brownstown lower it doesn't exist as a place! I wonder are the records lost??
    As the family are nowhere to be found. I have even done a search of the whole country!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I wonder are the records lost??
    Possible. alternatively they just haven't been uploaded for some reason.

Does that location have an alternative name? Might it have been a 'nil' return?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

There are some townlands and streets missing from the online census returns - a couple of possible reasons - some forms were lost or badly damaged, some were never filmed, so not available to be digitized. If the latter applies for this particular townland then the actual forms may be available in the National Archives.

The most common reason for not finding returns for a particular townland online is due the name being mis-transcribed, or that if was moved to an adjacent Electoral district (DED).

Shane

RootsIreland has some 1901 census records for Co. Kildare on their pay-website. Not sure if the transcriptions include all the details on the forms , but might be worth checking their index to see if they include this DED (Ballysax East) and area...

they dont include images for any records, so they may have transcribed directly from the forms..

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Thanks all. There were 71 houses for that townland in the 1911 census. Perhaps I'll try search for some other families from the 1911 census and see if the show up in the 1901. I think the records must have been lost. Thanks for the help.

Just adding that they did live in Brownstown then as their children's birth certificates list Brownstown as the address and these were pre-1901

Brownstown Lower is mentioned in the LDS 1901 film catalogue - so looks like at least some forms are available for the townland.

see : https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Ireland_1901_Kildare_Census_Townland_Index

• Advertisement

shanew wrote: »
    Brownstown Lower is mentioned in the LDS 1901 film catalogue - so looks like at least some forms are available for the townland.

see : https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Ireland_1901_Kildare_Census_Townland_Index
    Found them on Rootsireland 1901 census. There were 14 in the family including the parents. Does this mean I have to pay €5 per person to see the records?? Wonder why they are not up on the normal national archives census website. This is annoying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

E-mail the National Archives, explaining the situation.

I emailed National Archives so fingers crossed they either send it to me or upload it! Thanks everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

I'd bet they're all lumped under Curragh and East Curragh. Look how many households are listed there.

Brownstown Lower borders Curragh, does it not?

It is beside the Curragh but the residents are not in the census in 1901 leading me to believe the records are just missing. They were in the area at the time as their children were all born in the area in the late 1800's.

• Advertisement
Advertisement