Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child friendly hotel?

Options
  • 25-10-2012 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I will be heading to Galway in a couple of weeks on a business trip. I've decided to take the family and make a midweek break out of it. I will be working in Claregalway for the entire day on Monday, leaving my wife and two year old to entertain themselves with whatever facilities the hotel or surrounding areas have to offer. I would be grateful for any suggestions people might have as to where to stay that might have a play room or within walking distance to a playground.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

All/most hotels don't have playgrounds but if you stay in Salthill there is a Leisureland swimming pool, an aquarium and a playground nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Hi,

I will be heading to Galway in a couple of weeks on a business trip. I've decided to take the family and make a midweek break out of it. I will be working in Claregalway for the entire day on Monday, leaving my wife and two year old to entertain themselves with whatever facilities the hotel or surrounding areas have to offer. I would be grateful for any suggestions people might have as to where to stay that might have a play room or within walking distance to a playground.

Thanks!

I'd second salthill area. Clybaun Hotel has a gym, pool and jacuzzi too, and I believe a kids programme sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

My cousin uses the Maldron (Quality) Hotel when she comes down; it's just off the roundabout as you leave Oranmore to head to Claregalway. She has 2 young kids and finds it excellent. It's a bit out of town, but only 10-15 minutes by car (off peak!). It's also beside the cinema, bowling alley and amusement arcade. As far as I remember it also has its own pool.

My wife works in the Westwood, and they usually organise things like passes to Leisureland.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

The maldron was the first one I looked at because I know the area well and it will be handy to get out to claregalway. They have some good dinner b+b deals. The hotel is salthill looks really nice though. My wife doesn't drive so any amenities will have to be within walking distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭ratracer

Maldron has pool, kids play room, outdoor playground etc. If its mid term then there will be kids club/camps I think. The cinema is right next door and there is a kids indoor play centre there, tho not 100% certain its open.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Ardilaun hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Birroc wrote: »
    Ardilaun hotel.

Ardilaun has a kids club at certain times of the year.

I'd def stick with Salthill. Either the Galway Bay hotel or the Salthill Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Paddyfield wrote: »
    Ardilaun has a kids club at certain times of the year.
    I'd def stick with Salthill. Either the Galway Bay hotel or the Salthill Hotel.

+1

Clybaun isnt walking diatance from anywhere, these are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Yeah, actually I'd say Ardilaun and Clybaun are both a bit of a hike from stuff.

I too think Salthill is best bet overall. I mentioned the Clybaun because I had family with kids stay 'housebound', and they amused themselves, fed themselves fine in the pool/gym there - and it was really reasonable. Is that monkey business place closed? That and the Dunnes etc are walking distance from Clybaun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Monkey Business is still open, but only afternoons I think. Busses into town leave right outside the Clybaun but I think the hotels in Salthill are so much nicer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Jurys in town maybe.
    It's bang, slap in the center of town so easy if you're strolling around town. There's a garden area in Jurys (people us it for drinking, sitting etc.) It's fenced in so kid can't run out.
    You have a nice walk along the canal and 3 playground less than 5 minutes walk (2 up the canal, big one near the Cathedral, 1 by the Claddagh).
    No indoor pool (I presume) but The claddagh (feed swans).

It's all about location, location, location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Hi,

Thanks!

Are you working all week or just Monday? Kid's club is no good as a 2 year old is to small for them.

I would second the Maldron Hotel in Oranmore if your working all week in Claregalway. If only one day, try the Carlton Hotel. You don't want to be stuck in traffic coming from Salthill to Claregalway either.

Advertisement