Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silencers/Suppressors

Options
  • 25-10-2012 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭

Hi, Just a quick question. Are there any extra (in addition to the licence) approvals/paperwork to go through when buying a suppressor? (for a ruger 10/22)
    Here in the states I believe a letter from your local police is required before you can buy one.
    Thx!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Yeah, they're legally firearms in Ireland in and of themselves so you need some paperwork. Until recently, you needed a letter of authorisation from your local Super to have one; today you usually apply for the silencer on your firearms licence application, but I think the letter route is still open (it's just not supposed to be the preferred route anymore).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

According to more than one post here recently, some police officers believe them to be dangerous in themselves.

Apart from dropping one on your foot, I'd be happy to hear how this might be so.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Well, you might drop one on your other foot, you see...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I imagine if you hit someone with it you could hurt them...

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I imagine if you hit someone with it you could hurt them...

:o

Especially the full length t8 in .30 cal..

One time my missus mistook it for a rolling pin..

Last time I had the gun in the kitchen :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

hedzball wrote: »
    Last time I had the gun in the kitchen :rolleyes:

The faint tang of cleaning oil adds an extra dimension to a rabbit pie.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

hedzball wrote: »
    One time my missus mistook it for a rolling pin.
    Tactical pies. nice.:D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

It's amazing what they class as firearms just because they want to limit their availability. I didn't know that a mod generates more than 1 joule? Is it anymore a firearm than a set of bipods?
    We are curtailed by some crappy legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Al391

I think it is because a moderator/ silencer is a very saleable commodity on the black market, so it is a good idea to keep track of them and to limit their availability.
    It also means that if the Gardai catch a crim with a silencer but no gun they can still charge him under the firearm offences act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

anycriminal who wants one could get one made easy enough etc and also you could go into a shop and buy a mod with the s on your license then go to 5more shops and get 5more mods so it doesnt keep track of them in anyway

• Advertisement

bazza888 wrote: »
    anycriminal who wants one could get one made easy enough etc and also you could go into a shop and buy a mod with the s on your license then go to 5more shops and get 5more mods so it doesnt keep track of them in anyway

Agreed, mods aren't even serialised. Also the crims don't care about being covert, sure there not getting caught anyways !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

Boiled-egg wrote: »
    Agreed, mods aren't even serialised. Also the crims don't care about being covert, sure there not getting caught anyways !!!
    I know of one super in Donegal who insists that you have the serial no of your firearm put on your moderator.

bazza888 wrote: »
    ..........you could go into a shop and buy a mod with the s on your license then go to 5 more shops and get 5 more mods so it doesn't keep track of them in anyway
    That's true however the shop owner is legally covered to sell you a mod. It is your responsibility to be licensed to one. So you could own ten mods, but when out, if the rifle you are shooting does not have the "S" then you are screwed. Possession of an unlicensed firearm.

On the other foot if you owned ten mods, and decided to sell one to a friend, etc and that person did not have the "S" then you can be done for selling a firearm to an unlicensed person, and they will be done for being in possession of an unlicensed firearm.
    zeissman wrote: »
    I know of one super in Donegal who insists that you have the serial no of your firearm put on your moderator.
    Impractical, and not a legal obligation.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Not to mind it is a great MYTH that a silencer is a particulary desireable accessory wanted by criminals.It is;

Too traceable, in the fact any top mark "cans" have micro stamping in them or somwhere as to who and where they were made by.

Too talkable..IOW to get one made up somplace,people are going to remember or ask about the weird set of "exhaust baffles" some guy wanted made up in the shop a couple of months ago.
    Unless you are a machineist yourself,proper cans are not somthing you put together very easily out of bits found areound the house and the garden shed.

Adds bulk and limits concealability, they are stupid money on the black market[add 500% to 1000% markup for any firearms or ammo bought in the criminal underworld!]

No genuine professional hit man will ever use a firearm anyway.
    If they do it will be a .22lr with sub sonic loads.Or a chopped dbble 12 GA.
    Full auto and that stuff is for gang bangers..AKA bilthering idiots.
    :rolleyes:

Silencers do not silence things like bolt noise or ejection,nor are they completely silent,they diffuse thegunshot noise.Nor will they silence a supersonic boom of the bullet .

Nor is a sniper style assination much beloved of Hollywood very practible in real life..
    were it so there would be many others we would have heard of..
    Apart from JFK ,the DC sniper and a Serb Prime minister...All done without silencers too,and all caught too within weeks...Anyone care to name any one else who was killed by a sniper??? With a silencer??? Especially here in the ROI??

IOW alot of the fear of law enforcement here of criminals [apart from poachers proably]stalking the Irish shadows with silencers is actually quite groundless in reality.

Myths,fear,and Hollywood and cheap detective novels are not good sources of firearms information for police forces or Govt depts.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

If a shot was taken from a rifle with a mod you wouldn't find it easy to trace what direction it was fired from. You may hear the sonic boom but thats about all

Gentlemen - there is NO sonic 'boom' from a rifle bullet. A sonic boom comes from an aircraft breaking the sound barrier - somewhat larger than a rifle bullet - and is caused by the rapid displacement of a VERY large mass of air.

A rifle bullet makes a wickedly sharp CRACK like a whip, followed by the distant THUMP of the gun. With experience, you can easily judge with some accuracy how far away from you the shooter is located by listening to the time interval between the crack and thump.

As anybody who has been in the target butts will tell you.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    Gentlemen - there is NO sonic 'boom' from a rifle bullet. A sonic boom comes from an aircraft breaking the sound barrier - somewhat larger than a rifle bullet - and is caused by the rapid displacement of a VERY large mass of air.

A rifle bullet makes a wickedly sharp CRACK like a whip, followed by the distant THUMP of the gun. With experience, you can easily judge with some accuracy how far away from you the shooter is located by listening to the time interval between the crack and thump.

tac

What's the difference then between a sub sonic .22 and a supersonic .22 fired through a moderator. One is almost silent and the other gives off a crack. I allways thought it was because you couldn't scielence the sonic crack when the bullet breaks the sound barrier. Mind you I've no scientific info to back up this.
    Anyways it has all ways struck my as strange that you can buy an airsoft toy and walk straight into a bank and rob it, probably successfully but the chances of successfully robbing a bank with a moderator are slim. The strange thing is one if them looks exactly like a firearm and does indeed fire a projectile the other looks like a kitchen roll insert. And guess which one paddy guard demands a firearms cert for... ??

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

tac

Tac,
    the only reason why a whip cracks is because of the "sonic Boom".
    Just like a supersonic bullet.
    Boom is of course a much smaller "Boom" than of an aeroplane
    but still because of breaking the sound barrier.
    only physics
    edi

ejg wrote: »
    Tac,
    the only reason why a whip cracks is because of the "sonic Boom".
    Just like a supersonic bullet.
    Boom is of course a much smaller "Boom" than of an aeroplane
    but still because of breaking the sound barrier.
    only physics
    edi

I'm making the point that a bullet does not 'boom', it cracks. I'm well aware what a bullet sounds like, from both ends, thank you.

tac

Feel free to discuss the effects of a suppressor in a sporting context, but any further posts about snipers, shooting at people, etc will be removed.

This is a shooting forum for the discussion of sport shooting. Other topics can be discussed in other more suitable fora.

• Advertisement

I'm making the point that a bullet does not 'boom', it cracks. I'm well aware what a bullet sounds like, from both ends, thank you.

tac
    Tacs being pendantic..Again!!.;):D:D
    In future we shall ALL!!! refer to it as a supersonic crack to be dead on 100% accurate in our descriptions.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Boiled-egg wrote: »
    What's the difference then between a sub sonic .22 and a supersonic .22 fired through a moderator. One is almost silent and the other gives off a crack. I allways thought it was because you couldn't scielence the sonic crack when the bullet breaks the sound barrier. Mind you I've no scientific info to back up this.

The best scientific evidence is simply that most silencers use or are recommended to use subsonic ammo or specific calibres that stay under the sound barrier.

A silencer will NOT slow down a bullet to below supersonic speed,its not its function.It's job is to catch the escaping explosive gases,before,during and after a bullet leaves the guns muzzle,cool them and,dissipate them into the athmosphere in a controlled manner.Thussly, taking appx 1/3 of the noise of a gunshot away.The other two are somwhat and very difficult to deal with,thats sonic crack and the gun cycling action,with some noise from the shot escaping rearward too.

If it is a pistol,you can put a slide lock on it and convert it to a single shot that has to be cycled by hand to fire another silent shot.Which in a military context makes sense,as why do you have to blaze away with silenced weapons in the first place on full auto,ala Hollywood??
    Or use a bolt action.

I belive there is some footage somplace of the supersonic crack being demonstrated,by firing a silenced M14 past a line of telegraph poles somplace in the US.You can actually hear the crack as it passes each pole on the way to the target.

The paradox is loose the noise but keep the speed.
    Here the paradox is,we'll make it as difficult as possible to put one on your gun to prevent you damaging your hearing or bothering the neighbourhood with the noise,but we'll jump on you for not having one on your car,or for one that doesnt reduce noise properly.:rolleyes:

tac is paid to be pedantic.

Not here, obviously.

Take it as a pro bono in good health - it's a sign that I care.

tac

Advertisement