Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How often do you or OH buy clothes ?

• 25-10-2012 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭

We where chatting on break today in work about clothes shopping.
    One guy mentioned that after Christmas when the sales are one he sets aside a small amount of money and will buy 2 shirts & 2 suits for work, 2 pairs of jeans, a few t-shirts and 2 or 3 hoodies. He will wear these items of clothing for the year and will not buy any other clothes until the same time next year and has been doing this for many of years.
    His OH or family might buy him a pair of shoes or jacket as and Xmas or birthday present.
    He has the same few summer t shirts and shorts that he has uses and takes away with him the past few years.

he refuses to "waste" money buying clothes and says that there is nothing wrong with only having a few items of clothing as long as you have a decent washing machine.

Before he mentioned this we had all noticed that he wears the same 2 shirts all the time to work :rolleyes:

As a young female woman, I LOVE buying clothes :o
    I'm not a shopaholic but I like to keep up with fashion trends and I think it's only right (male or female) that once in while when you have a little extra dosh or at the end of each month (payday) you should purchase a new pair of shoes, a top etc. JMO. I buy something new at least every 2 weeks :o
    Iwould hate for someone to think I am always in the same clothes and most importantly I wouldn't feel good about myself if I was wearing the same few items of clothing day in and day out.

What are your opinions on this?
    How often do you or your OH purchase clothes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Every weekend. I though that was our duty, to be good consumers. When the wardrobes are full, I feck out the stuff I don't like. I am a profligate person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Me: whenever holes start forming
    OH: whenever she feels like it, i suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    Iwould hate for someone to think I am always in the same clothes and most importantly I wouldn't feel good about myself if I was wearing the same few items of clothing day in and day out.

just on this, I couldn't give a flying monkey poop what others think. Once there's no smell, it's all good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i buy clothes when i need them, my wife buys them like they are going out of fashion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I haven't bought a new item of clothing for about two years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

I'd hate to feel so insecure that I'd feel bad about myself if I wasn't buying new clothes at least every 2 weeks.

In fact I'd seek help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Probable one item a week,then at the end of the month when im paid about 5 items, i have a problem and im a bloke which makes it worse,
    Plus i still never have anything nice to wear haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

The majority of clothes I buy around Xmas time in the sales, usually a few pairs of jeans, three tops, a cardigan and either a good pair of boots or a coat. Everything bar underwear and a few bits of pajamas/tshirts/socks during the year.
    Once or twice a year I might have an occasion to go to and will either buy an outfit in a sale or revamp an old outfit with a new bag and bolero. I will never spend more than 50 euros on the outfit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

I go through phases of shopping a few times a week to not shopping for weeks, I have clothes I have not worn, I see something I like I buy it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

i usually splash out about 300 in one go every 4 months or so maybe a little more.I usually get a few gift vouchers and stuff for birthdays and christmas also so that tends to buy the majority.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I hate clothes shopping, so not very often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

I'd hate to feel so insecure that I'd feel bad about myself if I wasn't buying new clothes at least every 2 weeks.

In fact I'd seek help.

Im Not feeling insecure????
    Just have a strong interest in looking after my appearance!

You must be one of those "once a year shoppers"

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

My OH only buys new clothes at Crimbo, whereas I buy something nearly every week. I go to charity shops though and shop on Adverts so I probably only buy "new" clothes once a month.... and that's how I justify the amount of stuff I buy, I'm shopping economically :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

I buy new clothes every second week, its just something I like to do. Nothing wrong with it (I hope).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

The odd time.
    I have no coat atm, so I should probably buy one.
    I bought a few maternity items a few months ago, but before that it was probably about a year since I got anything.
    I buy things if I need them.
    I have some clothes about 10 years.

Husband's mother gets him clothes every xmas - so he very rarely buys clothes either. I think he bought comfy house pants a few months ago - before that - a long time since he got anything.

I get the kids new clothes twice a year coz they grow quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

He will wear these items of clothing for the year and will not buy any other clothes until the same time next year and has been doing this for many of years.

I am on a level (slightly) above the OP's workmate in so far as I shop for clothes twice a year - once in spring (March, usually) and once in autumn. Not 2 weeks ago I had my autumn shopping spree where I bought a winter coat, 2 pairs of shoes (1 brown, 1 black), 2 jumpers, 3 trousers, 6 pairs of socks and 6 pairs of underpants. This entire operation took about 4 hours, although I must concede that I work in town and had been window-shopping for the previous couple of weeks. I am now ready for winter.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

After every bank job so I don't get recognised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I love buying clothes, it's my seventh biggest fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Oh I'm mad jealous of all of you who buy clothes regularly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Im not vain, quite the opposite actually,

I am kinda one of those once a year shoppers, but I go all out if I can, I cant stand cheap and cheerful crap the average 30 year old wears, yes, im gone 30, laugh away...

I usually buy 2 x jeans, 2x runners, 2x tops, 2x tshirts etc, it usually runs up to about 800 quid but thats my clothes shopping for the year usualy, sometimes id buy a bit before xmas, and the rest in sales....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I bought work clothes 3 months ago. I hadn't bought clothes for the 2 years previous.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

No, I'd guess I'd shop for clothes about 12 times a year. I shop for clothes when I need them or put on/off weight :o It would never occur to me to just randomly go shopping for clothes, nor would I ever feel money burning a hole in my pocket. But I'm a man so that's probably the difference!

I have a friend that once a year goes into M&S and points to a few mannequins and asks the shop assistant to get him the entire outfits in his size.

I took the sentence "I wouldn't feel good about myself ..." to surmise that you feel insecure about yourself. You're saying that other peoples judgement of your clothing would affect your happiness, that's insecurity in my books.

There's nothing wrong with being proud and taking care of our appearance but it def doesn't need fortnightly shops to achieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Where To wrote: »
    I love buying clothes, it's my seventh biggest fault.

Other 6?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Twice a year probably. A few bits and pieces in the summer and a few bits and pieces in the autumn or winter. I'll wear shoes out before I'd buy a new pair and I haven't had a proper winter coat in about 5 years!

Not making any statement by buying so little, I just don't have the money to splash out on clothes very often. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I'll buy shoes when I see a good deal or need a pair. Clothes, not very often at all. I've probably enough to do two weeks of different combinations each day without looking a complete mess (that's getting a few days out of each pair of jeans / trousers)

Majority of my clothes I've probably been wearing every couple of weeks for a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

All the time. I work in town, in retail, and aside from lunch and the commute- no responsibilities or rent. Never anything very expensive and I do save quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

Losing weight so I go to the local enable Ireland when my clothes are getting too big. Usually only buy jeans there, I find the tops are more for older women. I'd rather spend €5.50 on a pair of awear jeans than go across the road to the awear shop and spend 45 quid when they'll only last a month

Advertisement