Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct debit headache

Options
  • 25-10-2012 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

So the esb messed up when I was setting up a new direct debit. They used an old account that they had from a long time ago to try to take a direct debit even though when I switched back I gave them my new account details. They apologised for the mistake and said they'd sort it out. I had to go to my old bank and get them to close the account and return the unpaid direct debit fee, annoying because I had to get time off work but I suppose these things happen.

Another attempt had already been made to take a second payment from the account which was too late to reverse. I was charged €6.00 by the esb for the first attempt being returned unpaid and presume I will be charged the same for the second. When I first spoke to customer service by email they said they would be able to refund these and to get in touch again if they are applied. I did this when it appeared on my account. I also checked to confirm that they will take from the correct account or if I should pay by debit card.

I got a response saying that it would take the payments people up to 10 working days to reverse the charge!!! They also told me that they would take the full amount including the €6 charge from the correct account in the meantime. I don't really see this as acceptable. I know its only €6 but why should they have it, they made the mistake I also know it'll be credited to my account but I'd prefer to hold onto my money myself. Also how can it take so long to reverse a charge they have already admitted is a result of a mistake by them, and I presume I will be charged another €6 when the next charge is returned unpaid. I find it really annoying that they try so hard to sign you up to direct debit and then mess it up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Gonzo.phd,

Sorry to read you are unhappy with your customer experience. Can you private message me your Electric Ireland account number, your name/address in full as they appear on your account, and either the contact telephone number on your account or your date of birth. I will then investigate this issue for you.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭swht

PM sent

Advertisement