Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Losing weight

Options
  • 25-10-2012 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi I'm 15 and me and my mum feel I need to lose a bit of weight and we are wondering what to do. I am active I do sports 5/6 times a week including running, cycling and yoga. I also am a vegetarian and I don't take milk or eggs, some say vegan. So I eat healthily but I can't seem to lose any weight, any help? Mayve someone i should vIsit, a group/ website or thing I should try, even a plan
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Try myfitnesspal.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Hi I'm 15 and me and my mum feel I need to lose a bit of weight and we are wondering what to do. I am active I do sports 5/6 times a week including running, cycling and yoga. I also am a vegetarian and I don't take milk or eggs, some say vegan. So I eat healthily but I can't seem to lose any weight, any help? Mayve someone i should vIsit, a group/ website or thing I should try, even a plan
    Thanks

Are you eating a lot of cabs such as refined pasta, white rice, pizza etc? I ask because many vegetarian do and much of this food is quite fattening.
    Although that said you do seem to be exercising frequently during the week.
    Maybe look at your diet critically, examine the calorie intake, compare it against what is recommended for someone your age, etc and see if there are any problems there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

You haven't indicated your height or weight, do you actually need to lose any weight or do you perhaps just need to tone up a bit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You have posted elsewhere that you are 5'7 and 70kg.
    That is not overweight.

Also, vegan diet is not healthy for a teenage girl. Where are you getting your protein and calcium from?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

pwurple wrote: »
    You have posted elsewhere that you are 5'7 and 70kg.
    That is not overweight.

Also, vegan diet is not healthy for a teenage girl. Where are you getting your protein and calcium from?

This has been posted by the OP in three different forums.
    Check out health and nutritition for the info she gave there.

She's a bmi of 24.1 so almost at the top of the "normal" scale, and mentions she wants to be a size 10 which she used to be.

Sounds like a bit of teenage angst to me tbh. Can't imagine a mother supporting that sort of wish tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Posted across multiple forums and this is not the place to advise on weight loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

pwurple wrote: »

Also don't make statements like this without backing them up with references. I can't understand vegetarianism/veganism myself (no steak ... seriously?) but there are alternate sources of protein and calcium.
    Calcium: Blackberries, blackcurrants, broccoli, oranges, figs, various beans, sesame seeds (tahini), etc
    Protein: Lentils, beans, grains, soy, tofu (ugh!), various veg (kale, spinach, etc).

The point is (and this from a carnivore) is that it is not up to any poster to defend his or her diet choices. If you want to state it's unhealthy it's incumbent on you to say why - not ask her to defend it first.

If you think I'm being unfair posting this in a locked thread them PM me. But I feel it's necessary to do so as you criticised a 15 year old girls diet (in an off-topic point too) when she obviously has body image issues (as do most teenagers) and put the onus on her to defend it with your incorrect assumption that protein and calcium are missing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement