Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's with all the rape threads?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

It's safe territory, sure what could go wrong discussing rape?? Anyway, it's yer own fault for wearing that short sig, and you were begging for a new thread on it really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

'Dangerous man' starting a thread about rape

Odd.

Yes very..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

If it affects 25%+ of population (that's only victims, mind) everyone has a story...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Just like the subject matter, this thread won't end well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Public service bashing threads are so last season.

Rape threads are, like, so in right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

1ZRed wrote: »
    Public service bashing threads are so last season.

Rape threads are, like, so in right now

They are. They're proving very moreish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭King Of Wishful Thinking

Declan Moffat is the the latest AH mod.

They are. They're proving very moreish.

In serious, I'd say it's just an excuse for some people to go off on a big massive, drawn out argument with other people who have similar opinions, but differ slightly, so that they can force their own views and ideas on them.

Yeah, sounds about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Rape is so hot right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Declan Moffat is the the latest AH mod.
    Love your rapier wit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mhge wrote: »
    If it affects 25%+ of population (that's only victims, mind) everyone has a story...

:confused: You think over a quarter of the population has been raped? Or am I picking you up wrong?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Yes, stats are currently that 1 in 4 women are being raped/ sexually assaulted.

It's a major issue in people's lives.

Raped / Sexually assaulted are different things. Grabbing someone's arse qualifies as a sexual assault. If we're talking about people being actually raped (whether orally, digital, etc) those numbers would be much, much, much lower.

Just sayin'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Raped / Sexually assaulted are different things. '.

Not to mention that "25% of the polulation is raped " is hugely different to "25% of the FEMALE population are raped or sexually assaulted".

Raped / Sexually assaulted are different things. Grabbing someone's arse qualifies as a sexual assault. If we're talking about people being actually raped (whether orally, digital, etc) those numbers would be much, much, much lower.

Just sayin'.

Dangerous man you're ridiculous.

When they reached the 1 in 4 statistic, it is talking about serious sexual assault and rape.

Not grabbing some-one's ass.

Do your research. Look at statistics.

I think the UK actually phrase it as 1 in 4 women are victims of rape or attempted rape.

What's with all the attempted making light of this topic?

It's not slightly amusing if it happens to you or some-one you know.

I think rape is a safer subject then Isreal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I blame Jimmy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I think the UK actually phrase it as 1 in 4 women are victims of rape or attempted rape.

People are making light of the completely exaggerated statistic claims, not the act itself. 1 in 4 women in Ireland would mean about half a million women were raped. Going by that we're either all inbred and related to each other, or durex are making a killing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Yeah but neither is murder but plenty of people joke about it, if someone wants to make light of it, let them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

I prefer to think of it as surprise-sex,
    surprise! im inside you. jazz-hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

anhedonia wrote: »

Nothing funny about rape.
    Unless theres a clown involved.

(jimmy carr - terrible man)

newmug wrote: »
    People are making light of the completely exaggerated statistic claims, not the act itself. 1 in 4 women in Ireland would mean about half a million women were raped. Going by that we're either all inbred and related to each other, or durex are making a killing.

Saying statistics are extremely exaggerated on a thread asking why there are so many rape stories in the media lately????

Maybe there are so many rape stories...because so many people...have been raped/ and or assaulted?

It is a huge/huge issue, affecting millions of women.

Why is it happening? My personal theory is that the jusicial system is a farce, therefore people think they will get away with it.

That's what needs to change.

But if you dont think it's happening to loads of women and people are afraid to report it and then are suffering for a lifetime, open your eyes and look around you. It is a dark part of our society and it needs to change, badly, badly.

People make jokes about things that are off-colour all the time. I'm not singling any individual out by making this thread and am not making fun of any individual. If you don't like what I'm doing then stop contributing to this thread. Leave. You don't have to be here.

As per your earlier points...
    Dangerous man you're ridiculous.

When they reached the 1 in 4 statistic, it is talking about serious sexual assault and rape.

I know exactly where those statistics come from and I know exactly how they were arrived at. Koss, '82, is the foundation for all of the 'one-in-four' bull that we have to swallow nowadays. Biased, bullshit agenda-driven research that has utterly distorted all conversations about sexual assault / rape.

It's so full of crap that many feminists have taken it upon themselves to deconstruct the MYTH because they understand how damaging it is to having a meaningful conversation.

The following is from Heather MacDonald and is a perfect illustration of how stupid the 1in4 statistic is.

If the one-in-four statistic is correct—it is sometimes modified to “one-in-five to one-in-four”—campus rape represents a crime wave of unprecedented proportions. No crime, much less one as serious as rape, has a victimization rate remotely approaching 20 or 25 percent, even over many years. The 2006 violent crime rate in Detroit, one of the most violent cities in America, was 2,400 murders, rapes, robberies, and aggravated assaults per 100,000 inhabitants—a rate of 2.4 percent. The one-in-four statistic would mean that every year, millions of young women graduate who have suffered the most terrifying assault, short of murder, that a woman can experience. Such a crime wave would require nothing less than a state of emergency—Take Back the Night rallies and 24-hour hotlines would hardly be adequate to counter this tsunami of sexual violence. Admissions policies letting in tens of thousands of vicious criminals would require a complete revision, perhaps banning boys entirely. The nation’s nearly 10 million female undergrads would need to take the most stringent safety precautions. Certainly, they would have to alter their sexual behavior radically to avoid falling prey to the rape epidemic.

anhedonia wrote: »

When some-one invades you, and treats you like an object to wipe himself on, then come back to me and tell me if you can joke about it.

Saying statistics are extremely exaggerated on a thread asking why there are so many rape stories in the media lately????

Maybe there are so many rape stories...because so many people...have been raped/ and or assaulted?

It is a huge/huge issue, affecting millions of women.

Why is it happening? My personal theory is that the jusicial system is a farce, therefore people think they will get away with it.

That's what needs to change.

But if you dont think it's happening to loads of women and people are afraid to report it and then are suffering for a lifetime, open your eyes and look around you. It is a dark part of our society and it needs to change, badly, badly.

and men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I really hope that 25% stat is way off the mark. If it was true it would mean that a huge portion of the people I know were likely to have been raped. That pisses me off.

• Advertisement

and men.

What about men?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I am sorry Midlandmissus, but you're just plain wrong. I have every sympathy for victims of any crime, especially one as heinous as rape, but the stats are utterly, utterly, utterly ridiculous. If anything, exaggerated claims like that detract from the seriousness of it all. 1 in 4 people dont get drunk at weekends, yet you can see how many drunken yobs there are about the place. You are wrong to back up those stats, and you are wrong about the purpose of the thread. Its not about the amount of rape stories in the madia, its specifically about how rape has become the new theme on AH. YOU conjured up the bit about the media!

What about men?

Yes your right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

kowloon wrote: »
    I really hope that 25% stat is way off the mark. If it was true it would mean that a huge portion of the people I know were likely to have been raped. That pisses me off.

Out of all the people I know well, I would think it actually is about 1 in 4 of them that has been raped.
    Maybe a bit higher.
    But there is a significant amount of people I'm close to, or have been close to that have been raped.
    I'm including guys too.

and men.

And this annoys me. It's all women, women, women when it comes to rape and there's NO mention of men who get raped/ sexually assaulted.

I won't argue that women experience rape at higher rates to men, but then we wouldn't really know about men because many feel ashamed and very few actually report the cases.

Yes your right.

I asked a simple question which for some reason you avoided answering and tried to be smart ass :confused:

• Advertisement

1ZRed wrote: »
    And this annoys me. It's all women, women, women when it comes to rape and there's NO mention of men who get raped/ sexually assaulted.

I won't argue that women experience rape at higher rates to men, but then we wouldn't really know about men because many feel ashamed and very few actually report the cases.

As do women, but rape seems to be kept for the female species, I know one person (male) who got gang rapped, he took his life 4 days later,

let us not forget there are female and male, bot can be violated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

So why start another one?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement