Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planned update bad timing

Options
  • 25-10-2012 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if it would be possible to change the day or time of the update as it clashes with the F1 Grand Prix this weekend. Its not that big of a deal but there is usually a fairly decent thread to go along with the race and if boards are looking to have 'as little interuption as possible' it would be in the best intersts of the posters of the motorsport that the planned update was any day other than Saturday or Sunday morning.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

Hmm so the race starts at 9.30 and coverage starts at 8? I'm pretty confident we'll be done by 8 at the absolute latest (i.e. something goes badly wrong and we do a roll back). If everything goes smoothly we should be back much earlier.

This Sunday is kind of ideal in that we can get an extra hour sleep before we do it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I'm pretty confident we'll be done by 8 at the absolute latest (i.e. something goes badly wrong and we do a roll back)
    Hope so..

Been there before - "Ah, the plane leaves in 4 hours, I'll just do this little fix, nothing can go wrong!"

...5 mins later...

Wait, wha t f is happening.. ??? :eek::eek:

:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Steve wrote: »
    Hope so..

Been there before - "Ah, the plane leaves in 4 hours, I'll just do this little fix, nothing can go wrong!"

...5 mins later...

Wait, wha t f is happening.. ??? :eek::eek:

:D:D:D:D

hang on - YOU are a plane mechanic?

/cancels holiday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

It better be fixed when I get back from Mass!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I'm pretty confident we'll be done by 8 at the absolute latest (i.e. something goes badly wrong and we do a roll back).

Nothing in IT ever takes the time you think it will. If you can roll back in the event of a problem it wont be too bad though.

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »

Nothing in IT ever takes the time you think it will. If you can roll back in the event of a problem it wont be too bad though.

Completely agree with you, time estimates are usually wrong. That's why the estimated downtime already has a contingency built in. If by 7.30 it looks like we're not going to be back by 8 we will abort the upgrade.

And... We're back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

And... We're back.

Wot?? We were down??? 😉

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It went down at 23.58 last night as well, not scheduled I'll assume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

mike65 wrote: »
    It went down at 23.58 last night as well, not scheduled I'll assume.

Unscheduled but related to the work carried out.

Danny

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Unscheduled but related to the work carried out.

Danny

Did it get fixed that night or early the next morning? Must be some pain being 'on call' effectively. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

A band-aid was placed on the situation just before 2am by our sysadmins. Spare a thought for them when Boards starts 503'ing in the wee hours :)

Danny

Advertisement