Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ambient Desert Island Discs

Options
  • 25-10-2012 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

So, compiling a study background-music playlist and calling on you folks for some help :)

Any recommendations for beatless ambient or seriously downtempo stuff? - minimal piano along the likes of Max Richter also?

My list so far:

Hammock
    Aix Em Klemm
    Stars of the Lid
    Brian McBride
    Language of Landscape
    Max Richter
    Eluvium
    Nest
    A Winged Victory For The Sullen
    The Dead Texan
    Belong

Anything I'm missing? :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Here's some ambient albums you could add:

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Volume II
    Windy & Carl - Drawing Of Sound
    Auburn Lull - Alone I Admire
    Brian Eno - Music For Airports
    Grouper - Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill
    The Azusa Plane - Tycho Magnetic Anomaly And The Full Consciousness Of Hidden Harmony
    Natural Snow Buildings - The Dance Of The Moon And Sun
    Blanck Mass - Blanck Mass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Eileen Down

Alva Noto + Ryuichi Sakamoto album "summvs" made last year is a absolute pleasure to the senses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

you could add Biosphere - Substrata and pretty much anything from Canadian artist Loscil.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I'd suggest also 'Music for Real Airports' by The Black Dog, lots by Global Communication and worth digging into the Fax label too... the 'From Within' series on Fax being a firm favourite for me, well there are lots on Fax tbh that are really great.

Substrata as per above post is a really really really essential slice of ambience! An ambient thread simply cannot be discussed without its inclusion...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Anything by Gas, but particularly Pop.
    Keith Fullerton Whitman - Playthroughs
    Jim O'Rourke - I'm Happy and I'm Singing and a 1, 2, 3, 4

For Max Richter type stuff, check Johan Johannson, Rachel's and William Basinski

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Eileen Down

it might be nice to add 5-9-78 by the boards of canada to your play list, just to make all those who

listen feel a little bit happier to be alive and maybe sixtyniner, just for the fun of it.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

• Registered Users Posts: 25 BlackYogurt

Anything by William Basinski....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

If there was just one I could take it would be Substrata by Biosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Anything by William Basinski....
    Basinski's new release sounds very promising, 11 minute preview of it on pitchfork: http://pitchfork.com/features/update/8983-william-basinski/

Biosphere/Deathprod's Nordheim Transformed is one of the best ambient music albums I've ever listened to, and would be a non-genre specific Desert Island Disc for me. It changes your vision of the surrounding landscape.

Setun wrote: »
    Basinski's new release sounds very promising, 11 minute preview of it on pitchfork: http://pitchfork.com/features/update/8983-william-basinski/

Biosphere/Deathprod's Nordheim Transformed is one of the best ambient music albums I've ever listened to, and would be a non-genre specific Desert Island Disc for me. It changes your vision of the surrounding landscape.

Sounds promising indeed...... The Disintegration Loops boxset is going for £299.99......

Wow, is it all on cd? Or are you getting the original tapes with that deal too? ;)

**** I hadn't noticed that Pete Namlook had died, very sad. His music will gain a new atmosphere now when I listen to it. The Chillage Idiots on XFM Dublin must be devastated, their radio show also featured plenty of Namlook.

Setun wrote: »
    Wow, is it all on cd? Or are you getting the original tapes with that deal too? ;)

I would love that but they're disintegrated..lol I'm not going to get it, a bit too much, even if it is a lovely package.

http://boomkat.com/vinyl/561223-william-basinski-the-disintegration-loops-deluxe-box-set

Advertisement