Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do people get annoyed when the OP doesn't give their own opinion to the topic?

• 25-10-2012 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭

Well?

My opinion on the matter is that

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Banned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Well?

My opinion on the matter is that

because we demand high standards here on AH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭DBK

and because money changes people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Seems counter productive to the idea of a discussion forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I haven't a clue either tbh. I've often wondered that.
    Surely if the op asks others' opinions on a matter, then a discussion will follow?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

So I can abuse them no matter what opinion they have because they dared to ruin AH with their threads.

It makes the forum a news dump rather than a discussion site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I never really understood this either. People get annoyed about very trivial things on here.

THINLY VEILED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I don't care but there's a rule about it. Someone infracted me for it once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

What's the point in starting a thread and contributing nothing yourself??
    Even if you don't really have an opinion on it, you should just say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

cos to dump a potentially controversial topic and run is considered to be trolling...........and it also allows people to feel smug by pointing it out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

They don't. They just love to say (in a shrill whiney voice in my head) 'aand whats yerrr opinion on it, oh peeey' so they get loads of thanks from similar gombeens who also don't really give a fk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

Why start a thread on something you have no interest in ? It would be like inviting someone to dinner and leaving when they got there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Why start a thread on something you have no interest in ? It would be like inviting someone to dinner and leaving when they got there.

No it wouldn't.
    If you don't leave your opinion on your op, there aren't a bunch of people in your house alone stealing your sh1t!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Or sitting at a dinner table and bringing up a topic

'Has anyone seen that new Woodsy Allen movie'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Its because people are looking to see if they can argue with you. Which is pathetic.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Seems counter productive to the idea of a discussion forum.

^ This

Boards is a discussion site, so when somebody starts a thread with "We should have more green in our lives. Discuss" it's more like they're asking a Leaving Cert question than wanting to engage in a proper discussion. It's easier to respond to a proper opinion posted in the OP so you know exactly what angle the OP wants to discuss. In this example is it that everyone should wear green every day? Is it that we should eat more green vegetables? Have more parks in our towns and cities? Look forward to the re-emergence of the Green Party? Download everything ever recorded by Professor Green?

There's also simple human nature involved. Why should I give you my opinion on something if you're not prepared to give me yours? It's an understandable reaction and would be the main reason people get annoyed about such posts imo.

get more blue

down with green!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

BBDBB wrote: »
    get more blue

down with green!

Discuss:mad:

Boombastic wrote: »
    Discuss:mad:

too late

Im spent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Because we're nosey. We want to know how much you earn, the stingiest thing you've ever done, how pervy are you, are you madder than me, do you hate travvelers, are you on the dole, did she/he dump you or you dump them and how hairy YOUR back is, first. Then we'll show you ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Here's what I do....

1.) Read the title
    2.) Post *my* opinion (which is always the correct one)
    3.) Wait for people to 'Thumbs Up' my post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I haven't a clue either tbh. I've often wondered that.
    Surely if the op asks others' opinions on a matter, then a discussion will follow?
    Yeh I dont get the annoyance either. What if the OP has nothing specific to say but is still interested in the topic and reading what others have to say on it? They might want to learn more about it. The "goes against the point of a discussion forum" is moot IMO since, as you say, a discussion follows anyway. People are discussing what they use to eat their dinner at the moment ffs. A discussion *always* generates on AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

it's called THANKS", jackass!!*

*possibly not really a jackass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Madam_X wrote: »
    Yeh I dont get the annoyance either. What if the OP has nothing specific to say but is still interested in the topic and reading what others have to say on it? They might want to learn more about it. The "goes against the point of a discussion forum" is moot IMO since, as you say, a discussion follows anyway. People are discussing what they use to eat their dinner at the moment ffs. A discussion *always* generates on AH.

Exactly. It's not counter productive to discussion at all. In offline discussions people will usually start conversations like "what do you think of the jimmy saville allegations?" the other person will answer and discussion follows..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

UCDVet wrote: »
    Here's what I do....

1.) Read the title

NaH, not worth one

Annoys me aswell.. In real life conversations, ya don't say "what ya think of the match? Before you answer, i'd like clarify that I liked it".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

I find it a bit silly sometimes in here when a 'weird and wacky' news story appears on the Daily Mail, there seems to almost be a rush to post a link to it in AH, without any particular insight or point to the post.

I have access to news sites, thanks, I'll look there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Contribute something of your own to any threads you start

Not every news story needs a thread on After Hours. Don't just post up a link to a news article just because nobody else has. Add something to it. Your own point of view.
    If you do start a thread, be prepared to contribute to it yourself, especially if you expect others to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

UCDVet wrote: »
    Here's what I do....

1.) Read the title

while taking up 2 seats on the bus

Advertisement