Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old netopia

• 25-10-2012 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

hi my netopia is six or seven years old and i have to turn it on and off several times for it to light up and get a connection , do i need a new one and will eircom supply one. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Hi Phil,

I had the same problem a while back and phoned eircom broadband support. They told me they would supply me with a replacement modem for free if I signed up for another 12 month contract or for a fee if I didn't.

Being a long standing customer like yourself I was a little bit surprised they wouldn't change it for free, I mean they had made enough money from me over the years to easily cover this. But it goes to show the stupidity of their marketing strategy, all it did was highlight to me how little they consider customer loyalty. For example in my case I was a customer of 15 years without break between my present address and my previous one.

I contacted them in year 15 because my modem broke like yours, it was an old netopia that gave great service for years. Going by their way of thinking I could have claimed a free modem in each of the subsequent 14 years and just sold it for a few bob for myself had I known how they operate. Instead they just opted to forget about the previous 15 years loyalty without costing them an extra cent in support or hardware and got me thinking about just how bad the support is if you do happen to need it, I guess iI was lucky in the previous years!

So instead of retaining me as a customer I bought a replacement modem on adverts.ie and changed provider, after I must add giving Eircom every opportunity to convince me otherwise (theres a thread on the talk to eircom section of boards here that reflects all that). Anyway, this is not a have a go at eircom post, I just wanted to give you my experience in the same situation as yourself, hopefully your experience will be a lot more positive, it should be if Eircom have any sense at all, let me know how you fare out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 phil annagry

Hi IPHONE,
    JUST NOTICED YOUR MAIL, THANKS FOR THE INFO AS I INTEND TO STAY WITH EIRCOM I WILL GET IN TOUCH WITH THEM AFTER THE BANK HOLIDAYTKS pHIL ANNAGRY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

Tell them you will change to Vodafone which is cheaper and get your free Modem or wait for Sky to bring in their BB package if you have a sky package already you may be able to get a good deal
    Vodafone is cheaper
    Eircom do not understand the meaning of customer loyalty
    Had the same issue with a family member and asked for a free modem to be sent out.Was told we would have to sign a new contract. the family member had been with eircom for over 30 years. i politely explained i was not going to ask them to sign anything at 80 years of age but they had no intention of changing. Eircom refused to budge so i said fine you have now just lost a client of 30 years and closed an Eircom account and moved them to Vodafone. Where we signed a 12 month contract? Point of principle

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭cobraeire

Well i`m with vodafone now for about 2years ,changed over from eircom (on an 8mb package),all was good up until about 3 months ago
    my speed seem to drop alot ok i was getting around 6.20 meg which was grand in the evening it might drop to around 5.80 but about
    3 months ago in the evening time i get about 1.2 sometimes .8 not good,so i called them about 20 times to explain to different engineers
    about my problem (which half of them had`nt a clue)..on the phone for hours,so as i was told it could be my router which i had when i was
    with eircom netopia,i told them well if its my router would you send me one and i was told i have to pay for it (70 euros i think)though when
    they came to my door 1st to get me to sign up they had a leaflet,which i still have here saying that get a free modem when you sign up,
    didnt think i need it cause i had my eircom one and they told me at the same time that they never gave out free routers. yes i had my few run in with eircom but vodafone is worse,blind leading the blind

• Registered Users Posts: 4 phil annagry

hi iphone
    as i was staying with eircom i told them i would be and they sent new netopia within three days as i live in west of the country i do not see me changing in the next year , in 12 months who knows cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement