Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bus service Millfield to City Centre

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭JodTT

That's fantastic news. It is a great services!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 spdeveille

Used it first time today but they had no coaches, tad but disappointed to say they least. Said they were all broken down (8.15 and 8.45). The website the night before said nothing.
    They did offer people a minibus lift to the Bus Eireann stop

Turns out they were Broken into to so not their fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

These things happen I suppose, but the 101 standard service wouldn't be much of a consolation. The millfield and 101X services are express. Anyone needing to be in work within the hour wouldn't have had a hope of being on time if they got the 101 standard service.

I also notice not many people using the KBR bus lately - have seen it leaving in the morning and returning in the evening practically empty. I have actually passed it in the morning on the M1 with not a sinner onboard.

If they considered crossing to the southside I would definitely take it. At the moment I use the 101X or car if I miss the 101X but if the KBR bus went Leeson Street direction I would probably get it over the 101X at least 3 days out of the 5.

something to think about perhaps, KBR??? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭October

According to their Facebook page they were broken into over night and this was the cause of this morning's problems. I use this service and find it fantastic. I'm surprised it is not more popular. Although as mentioned by Little Ted maybe more would use it if it went south side. Also, the timings of the buses would not suit people working part-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Little Ted wrote: »
    I have actually passed it in the morning on the M1 with not a sinner onboard.

Slight exaggeration? Any time I've got it there does be between 15-20 people on it. They would go into town in the morning if there was no one on it. Last stop in Tesco.

• Advertisement

dubmick wrote: »
    Slight exaggeration? Any time I've got it there does be between 15-20 people on it. They would go into town in the morning if there was no one on it. Last stop in Tesco.

You do realise there is more than one bus in the morning??? Are you on all of them? I have no reason to lie. I have passed the 7.15 bus on the M1 and it was empty. Not every time granted, but quite a good few times. I can only assume that for a lot of people with an 8am start the 7am 101X or train must be a better option timewise.

Like I suggested earlier, if it went southside I think would be better subscribed.

You do realise there is more than one bus in the morning??? Are you on all of them? I have no reason to lie. I have passed the 7.15 bus on the M1 and it was empty. Not every time granted, but quite a good few times. I can only assume that for a lot of people with an 8am start the 7am 101X or train must be a better option timewise.

Like I suggested earlier, if it went southside I think would be better subscribed.

I work south side (Baggot St area where the 101X goes) and I would rather get the Millfield bus. It takes me 20 minutes to walk over from the Convention Centre. I would be surprised if the bus could do it any faster with lights & traffic. I know the odd morning it struggles to get down the quays with heavy traffic.

There is absolutely no comparison between this and the 101X. It's half the price for a start! And there is ample free parking at the Millfield.

If there are empty buses then perhaps they should look into changing their times. Maybe an 8am bus to replace the 7.45 & 8.15 so they have more people travelling on each service. And the same thing again in the evening. I know I have a colleague in work living in Balbriggan & she would get it if there was a service at about 4.30pm!

In fairness to the 101X it gets from the convention centre over to Leeson street pretty quick and I can't fault it as a service, and there is also ample free parking at the church car park.

I don't think its a case of one or the other service being better , but it's just a personal preference for me that I would rather not walk 20+ minutes on a rainy morning or at the end of a long day in work. The 101X suits me from this point of view as it leaves me literally a few hundred metres from my office.

Having said that, I do sometimes struggle to get to the church for 7am. So the millfield bus would actually be my preference at 7.15am if it went southside, because as I say, being a lazy wagon, I'd prefer not to have to walk from the convention centre to Leeson street, particularly if it's raining. I know that at least half of the people on the 7am bus stay on it to Nassau Street and further, so this might be why people are chosing the 101X instead. And as you say, they might also get more business in the evening with additional departure times.

The millfield is a great price for the likes of me who can't use public transport everyday. But for daily commuters who have a tax saver ticket I suppose some of them would prefer to stick with the 101X service. These are the only two reasons I can think of as to why Milfield service is not well subscribed on the early bus. As I say, it is a great service, but I think it could be even better and possibly grow further, which in that case, could only be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Yeah full aware that there is more than one service in the morning. I've gotten the bus at different times. Just seems very strange to drive an empty bus into town when there is no return service. Madness really. I'll ask one of the drivers during the week. Not accusing you of lying at all, just find it very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jjspine

dubmick wrote: »
    Yeah full aware that there is more than one service in the morning. I've gotten the bus at different times. Just seems very strange to drive an empty bus into town when there is no return service. Madness really. I'll ask one of the drivers during the week. Not accusing you of lying at all, just find it very odd.

I would have to agree i get the 101x religiously every morning at 7 and there has been mornings that it was that full that i couldnt get on !! Had to get the 101 then and the difference is unreal

• Advertisement

jjspine wrote: »
    I would have to agree i get the 101x religiously every morning at 7 and there has been mornings that it was that full that i couldnt get on !! Had to get the 101 then and the difference is unreal

He's talking about the millfield service, not the 101X service. The 101X is always well subscribed.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jjspine

He's talking about the millfield service, not the 101X service. The 101X is always well subscribed.

My bad ;)

I think the timetable has changed. Their website still gives the quarter hour times, but I'm almost certain that the flyer I saw in the lift in Tesco says different times? Half hourly I think? Could swear I saw the first bus out in the morning listed as 7am. Anyone know for sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Single fare Balbriggan to Dublin now 6.50. The petrol cost would only be about 4.80, and my car is so old depreciation is not a factor. Fares are no longer value for the irregular traveller.

Think I may check out the KBR bus service.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭scouse1990

Does anyone have a timetable for KBR from Millfield, I was on their website but it just says 'Timetable to Come Soon'.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭scouse1990

Hopefully as I will need to get the 7am in on Thursday!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Here is the timetable from facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/KbrTransportLtd/photos/pb.504504546244806.-2207520000.1392722008./730483550313570/?type=3&theater

Only changes to that are that the following are cancelled:
    16:10 Balbriggan/Stamullen
    16:30 Stamullen/Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 34 sanny82

can anyone tell me the updated situation from KBR bus service.....is the first bus still leaving at 7am from Balbriggan? Is it always in time? What time is it at Point Village?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

I got the 7:45 bus each morning last week and it took approx 45 minutes to get to Burgh Quay. The slowest part being along the quays up past Jury's & The Convention Centre.

This morning while driving past Millfield at 7am the bus was sitting at the front of the centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dixierip

Thinking of using this service as need to travel to the city more frequently . Is the service still working out well. What are peoples recent experiences ?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dixierip

Ok . Having used the service over the last few weeks overall impressions are positive. The buses are fine, old school but they are very reliable and punctual. It's definitely a good option.

Is this service still running? Everything online seems to be out of date and I haven't noticed any on the road when I'm driving to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Pipmae

The provider has changed since the OP. It is now the 191 service. It can be found on Facebook at 191 Balbriggan Express. HTH's.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/191-Balbriggan-Express/1509081156016796?fref=ts

That's fantastic. Thanks so much.

I've been looking at the original Facebook page and couldn't work out why the posts were so old.

Advertisement