Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rented house, content insurance. No accidental damage?

Options
  • 25-10-2012 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭

I very recently moved house and had to cancel my old insurance policy and start a new one in the new accommodation. When taking out the new one I explicitly remember being told that I would have accidental damage cover which I thought was strange since I was unable to get it on my previous two years' policies. 'Lo and behold the schedule for the new place arrived today and there's no accidental damage cover - is this just not something you offer for rented accommodation or has a mistake been made?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Liberty Insurance: Catherine

Hi TouchingVirus

There are several variations when it comes to accidental damage cover, as some cover is automatically included, and some needs to be selected as an optional extra. To give you a bit more detail, accidental damage while in the home, to TV, video, audio and computer equipment is automatically covered up to €2,000 for any one item if you have contents cover on your policy. There is also cover for accidental breakage of mirrors, ceramic glass in cooker hobs, plate-glass tops to furniture and fixed glass in furniture while in the home.

If the property is not rented, you can also opt for additional accidental damage cover if you have either buildings or contents insurance. This will cover you for other sudden and unexpected damage caused by a member of the household, but not caused deliberately. There are a number of exclusions and conditions which I can give you more details on if you wish?

This may clarify things for you, but I think we should have a look at your individual policy to confirm what cover you have in relation to accidental damage, so please PM me your details and we'll get back to you directly.

Regards

Catherine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Hi Catherine,

Just received a call from somebody in the household insurance section who clarified that I do have accidental damage for the likes of the TV/audio/computer equipment but not for things like spilling paint on the carpet while painting etc since it's rented accommodation. This seems to match up with the phonecall from the sales rep so I'm glad to have received the callback. Thanks for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Liberty Insurance: Catherine

Hi TouchingVirus

Happy to help. Let me know if you have any other queries.

Catherine

Advertisement